1. Joined
    06 Jul '05
    Moves
    29 Sep '05 16:35
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I'd like to know what the buddhist view on this is. I'm told Tibetan Buddhism states that suicide "is not a good idea" but I'd like to know more about the soul mechanics involved.
    I'll have a go.

In most Buddhist traditions, death is viewed as a transition rather than an end - thus, suicide is not an escape from anything. Suicide is generally considered an inappropriate action motivated by toxic thoughts, which puts one in a bad position when it comes to rebirth.

On the other hand, early Buddhist scriptures do contain stories in which the Buddha supposedly condoned certain acts of suicide motivated for religious reasons. In modern times, we saw the famous war protest by the Viet Namese Buddhist monk who set himself on fire. (That'll show 'em.)

Much depends on the motivation of the act and the state of mind at the time of that action. It should also be said that Buddhism exists in many different cultures, and views on issues such as abortion, euthanasia, cloning, suicide, etc., are strongly influenced by their host cultures.
  2. Colorado
    Moves
    29 Sep '05 16:38
    I think the notion of hell is mostly for the benefit of the church. What happens when an evil person dies? God decides. Since most people are basically good, I think most people manage to avoid hell (if they can avoid it here on Earth that is).
  3. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Moves
    29 Sep '05 18:36
    Originally posted by Halitose
    I don't think I've given my stance on Capital Punishment here... That's an entirely different debate: What about self defence? What about the soldiers in Iraq?
    I know. That's what I'm saying. Rather, those are the same questions I ask myself.

The wheel just goes round and round forever it seems when it comes to the question of taking another person's life. And they all tie in with suicide. If a person has the right, as most people believe, to take another's life in self defense, why can't they take their own life? Why would the bible/God see that as wrong and worthy of being sent to hell?
    Murder is murder. When is it not? Where's the line that separates the two? Heck we can even throw abortion in the mix!

Ok, just forget that last one. 🙂
  4. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    29 Sep '05 18:53
    Originally posted by wib
    I know. That's what I'm saying. Rather, those are the same questions I ask myself.

The wheel just goes round and round forever it seems when it comes to the question of taking another person's life. And they all tie in with suicide. If a person has the right, as most people believe, to take another's life in self defense, why can't they take their ...[text shortened]... ates the two? Heck we can even throw abortion in the mix!

Ok, just forget that last one. 🙂
    I see your point, because making such a sweeping statement is rather inclusive of all forms of killing. But like all rules, there are exceptions.

When it comes to self defence, I guess killing a life would be acceptable if there was reasonable fear of losing your own. I'm not sure how this (fear) would influence killing yourself.
  5. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    29 Sep '05 18:57
    To rephrase, I think killing is justified, if malicious intent to take life is clearly evident; and killing the intending killer is the only way to avoid it.

So personally I firmly believe in the sanctity of human life.
  6. Standard memberwindmill
    your king.
    Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Sep '05 21:14
    >It would be appreciated if you would keep the killing of other people to another thread.I started this thread for the purpose of those who have lost friends to suicide.
    >New Zealand has one of the highest suicide rates in the world and I've lost a number of friends to suicide.Anyone who believes in Heaven/Hell is bound to face the question of"do they go to Hell?".It may seem almost like a joke to those who don't believe,but the conseqences of a wrong judgment can leave a person suicidal themselves.The way I dealt with it is simply I don't know.
  7. Joined
    07 Jan '05
    Moves
    30 Sep '05 06:16
    Originally posted by Halitose
    I see your point, because making such a sweeping statement is rather inclusive of all forms of killing. But like all rules, there are exceptions.

When it comes to self defence, I guess killing a life would be acceptable if there was reasonable fear of losing your own. I'm not sure how this (fear) would influence killing yourself.
    Most of the time when ppl kill themselves, normally the closest family/friends are killed by the person committing suicide before he killes himself.

That is where the "fear" comes in.

Though I believe in Jesus Christ, I say that ppl do go to hell. But I honestly dont know if they will go to hell by committing suicide?
  8. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    30 Sep '05 06:23
    Originally posted by Nicolaas
    Most of the time when ppl kill themselves, normally the closest family/friends are killed by the person committing suicide before he killes himself.
    Oh really?
  9. Not Kansas
    Moves
    30 Sep '05 06:481 edit
    Originally posted by Nicolaas

That is where the "fear" comes in.

Though I believe in Jesus Christ, I say that ppl do go to hell. But I honestly dont know if they will go to hell by committing suicide?

I haven't had the experience of suffering through terminal cancer, but looking at others who have, I wonder if they wouldn't be forgiven if they took a little too much morphine and slipped away.
  10. Colorado
    Moves
    30 Sep '05 08:36
    Originally posted by windmill
    >It would be appreciated if you would keep the killing of other people to another thread.I started this thread for the purpose of those who have lost friends to suicide.
    >New Zealand has one of the highest suicide rates in the world and I've lost a number of friends to suicide.Anyone who believes in Heaven/Hell is bound to face the question of"do they go ...[text shortened]... judgment can leave a person suicidal themselves.The way I dealt with it is simply I don't know.
    There are many different reasons for suicide as has been pointed out all ready. Suicide to protest a war or end horrible suffering are tuff calls. I really don't know. God does. For most suicides, the kind that happens when people feel that their personal problems are too much, I believe that their death doesn't solve anything. Somehow, they carry on in another existance until they've worked things out. Again this is just what I've come to believe through reading and listening to other peoples opinions.

By the way, why does New Zealand have such a high suicide rate? I was over in ChristChurch awhile back and with all the sun, friendly people and open culture, I would've thought that NZ would have a very low suicide rate.
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    30 Sep '05 08:37
    Originally posted by The Chess Express
    By the way, why does New Zealand have such a high suicide rate?
    Because they're sheep.
  12. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    30 Sep '05 08:57
    Originally posted by The Chess Express
    There are many different reasons for suicide as has been pointed out all ready. Suicide to protest a war or end horrible suffering are tuff calls. I really don't know. God does. For most suicides, the kind that happens when people feel that their personal problems are too much, I believe that their death doesn't solve anything. Somehow, they carr ...[text shortened]... riendly people and open culture, I would've thought that NZ would have a very low suicide rate.
    The overall rate seems to come from poorer areas of Auckland and outlying towns all over the country.
  13. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    30 Sep '05 09:00
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    The overall rate seems to come from poorer areas of Auckland and outlying towns all over the country.
    I've always thought there's a link between open spaces and suicide.
  14. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    30 Sep '05 09:08
    Originally posted by Algernon
    Suicide is generally considered an inappropriate action motivated by toxic thoughts, which puts one in a bad position when it comes to rebirth.
    Thanks Algernon. This is the bit I'm interested in. Are the toxic thoughts disadvantageous more than the act of suicide? How do toxic thoughts affect the rebirth process? (Do they make one of the lights seem more attractive...?)
  15. Joined
    13 Oct '04
    Moves
    30 Sep '05 09:34
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I'd like to know what the buddhist view on this is. I'm told Tibetan Buddhism states that suicide "is not a good idea" but I'd like to know more about the soul mechanics involved.
    A far as I know they are against killing in any way. You will even see these monks walking looking at the ground to make sure they dont step on an ant. (of course there are other forms of buddhism but im talking about original buddhism)

Suffering comes from within and can be ended there.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree