1. Joined
    03 Oct '06
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 18:05
    how does religion view suicide..? will someone who has committed suicide go to hell..? who's to blame in that situation, the person who committed the act or god himself..? before most people jump to god's defence, the fact that a person cannot take any more and so commits suicide could be said to be a lack of judgement on god's part
  2. London
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 18:28
    Originally posted by rooktakesqueen
    how does religion view suicide..? will someone who has committed suicide go to hell..? who's to blame in that situation, the person who committed the act or god himself..? before most people jump to god's defence, the fact that a person cannot take any more and so commits suicide could be said to be a lack of judgement on god's part
    No, it's a lack of judgment on the person's part. There may be exonerating factors, though, that would reduce the moral culpability of the act.
  3. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 19:47
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    No, it's a lack of judgment on the person's part. There may be exonerating factors, though, that would reduce the moral culpability of the act.
    I think we've been over this. Is there ever a situation where a suicide doesn't entail exonerating
    factors? A person who doesn't desire to live seems to be going against the very fundament of
    biology -- whether because of a debilitating illness or mental instability. There is no such thing as
    a perfectly healthy person who commits suicide, unless it is by means of some sort of sacrifice
    (a parent running into a burning building to save a child, which itself is a mitigating factor).

Nemesio
  4. Seattle, WA
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 20:041 edit
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    I think we've been over this. Is there ever a situation where a suicide doesn't entail exonerating
    factors? A person who doesn't desire to live seems to be going against the very fundament of
    biology -- whether because of a debilitating illness or mental instability. There is no such thing as
    a perfectly healthy person who commits suicide, unless it is ...[text shortened]... ing into a burning building to save a child, which itself is a mitigating factor).

Nemesio
    Do you include war protest as sacrifice, like in the case of Malachi Ritscher? He committed suicide by self-immolation in downtown Chicago to protest the war in Iraq (with virtually no media response). His written statements are quite lucid.

http://www.iheardyoumalachi.org/story.html
  5. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 20:12
    Originally posted by Poison Godmachine
    Do you include war protest as sacrifice, like in the case of Malachi Ritscher? He committed suicide by self-immolation in downtown Chicago to protest the war in Iraq (with virtually no media response). His written statements are quite lucid.

http://www.iheardyoumalachi.org/story.html
    Without knowing anything about the situation (and not having the time now to research it), I
    would say anyone who chooses this form of protest over other available forms is showing signs
    of mental compromise. Lucid writing does not necessarily mean lucid thinking; the writing could
    be very well formed on very flawed premises.

This is an admittedly uninformed position since your post represents 100% of what I know about
    the situation.

Nemesio
  6. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 20:53
    It depends which religion and which sect within that religion you're contemplating.

Jesus' death was suicide, wasn't it?
    Suicide bombers become martyers, don't they?
    Mothers who don't abort sometimes die, don't they?

There's a multitude of examples possible, I've chosen a few of the more extreme.

Would "religion" judge suicide differently between someone who's clinically depressed (out of their hands), suicide bomber (poverty and helplessness) or Son of God (dying for someone elses sins)?
  7. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 00:51
    is suicide that bad? nobody asked to be born.
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 00:52
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    is suicide that bad? nobody asked to be born.
    Why don't you try it then?
  9. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 00:54
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Why don't you try it then?
    theres a lot of reasons, im not naming them all.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 05:45
    No, you don't go to Hell because of suicide. It took me many years to figure it out. If suicide is a sin that is capable of sentencing to Hell, then everybody goes to Hell for sins that we all commit throughout our lifetimes.

Just another point in regards to a suicide of Jesus that I heard mentioned in another post. It isn't suicide if you continually do something you know is right, where the punishment imposed is death. He's a hero, for dying for no reason.
  11. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 07:54
    I've heard it's painless... and 80% sure to make you famous. A chocolate medal for whoever tells me the band and song.
  12. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 09:06
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    I've heard it's painless... and 80% sure to make you famous. A chocolate medal for whoever tells me the band and song.
    Theme song for MASH. No clue about the band, but I know that the director of the movie's son
    wrote the lyrics (he was a teenager at the time...grim kid).

Nemesio
  13. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 09:53
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Theme song for MASH. No clue about the band, but I know that the director of the movie's son
    wrote the lyrics (he was a teenager at the time...grim kid).

Nemesio
    Suicide is painless by Johnny Mandel & Mike Altman
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 10:10
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    And who is responsible for a persons lacks? Surely God is.
  15. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 14:32
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Suicide is painless by Johnny Mandel & Mike Altman
    Nah, I've heard SS's referenced song before, it's the same people who did "Your Missus is a Nutter", but I don't know who they are or what it's called. It's quite funny though.

Thanks for pointing out who actually did "Suicide Is Painless".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree