Taking Quality Questions on Revelation

Taking Quality Questions on Revelation

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 May 18

personal accountability for ones own religious mindset,

And again here, you should not try to define "persoanl accountability for ones own religious mindset" to mean - "You have to agree with me, Divegeester."

I take personal responsibility for what I believe quite seriously. I expect to be examined by Jesus Christ concerning what I lived, including what beliefs influenced what I lived.

Sorry. I can't accept this line of rationale:

"Do you agree with me about there being no eternal damnation?
If not then you fail to take personal responsibility for what your religious mindset."

Ie. Agreement with you = taking personal responsibility for ones religious mindset.

I have to be persuade by conscience and the word of God - like Luther said at the Diet of Worms. (No, didn't say Martin Luther was a perfect example of a Christian, if you next reply is about how bad he could be with his temper.)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 May 18

reading the bible with the essence of God’s mercy central to one’s understanding.

You're saying that God's mercy is central to all your comprehension of the Bible. The bottom line - God's mercy.
The end all and be all - God's mercy. What it all means - God's mercy.

Well, God's mercy is certainly a big part of God's revelation.
How could I possibly argue against that. And nor would I ever WANT to dispute it.

But there are other attributes of God:

God's love.
God's authority.
God's holiness.
God's faithfulness.
God's glory.
God's truthfulness.

Exactly which of these is "central" is a good discussion.

But in God these attributes, I think, all have to work together.

Will God be merciful if it involves Him in unrighteousness ?
Mercy of God is very, very important now. Be careful.
One Psalms says His mercy is everlasting.

Okay, God's mercy is EVERLASTING. But will God involve Himself in becomming unrighteous in order to be merciful ?

Will God allow His eternal authority to be trampled upon forever because He sacrifices that attribute for the sake of His attribute of showing mercy?

I have to read the whole Bible and examine His ways.
I think God will not allow any being to be able to say this:

"You God, were UNRIGHTEOUSLY merciful. You God were merciful in a way that involved you in UNRIGHTEOUSNESS."

I think the same is true the other way around. After the eons of time no one will be able to say:

"God you were righteous, but your righteousness had NO MERCY, No love, No longsuffering, No forebearance. God You were righteous but monsterously so completely destroying any flow of LOVE and Mercy out from You're being."

Do you see what I mean?

Because the Bible reveals God as God as God, the outline of the parameters of His attributes seem necessarily to stagger our limited and finite attributes.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 May 18

Rather than absorbing what one is told by supposed leaders for the faith, and pretentiously positioning one’s self as a teacher of Revelation.

This I take as a kind of suspicious mass ad hom.
"Anyone not agreeing with MY lead, is pretentious, self anointed, and arrogant."

Ie. "Only I have pure motives in seeking to help others on some aspect of Bible understanding."

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 May 18
2 edits

I have a question for some then.

There are two places in the book of Revelation where John is so overcome by what he sees that he falls before an angel to worship the angel. Both times he is rebuked to not do that, but reserve his worship for God..

What are the two places ?

Do you see any significant connection between the two ?

F

Moves
12 May 18

Originally posted by @sonship
I have a question for some then.

There are two places in the book of [b]Revelation
where John is so overcome by what he sees that he falls before an angel in worship. Both times he is rebuked to not do that.

What are the two places ?

Do you see any significant connection between the two ?[/b]
Tell us what the two places are and tell us whether you see any significant connection between the two.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 May 18

Originally posted by @fmf
Tell us what the two places are and tell us whether you see any significant connection between the two.
I first would like to see if someone else has ever noticed this and contemplated it.

F

Moves
12 May 18

I first would like to see if someone else has ever noticed this and contemplated it.
Presumably, you have read something about it and you are now going to tell us what it is?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 May 18
1 edit

Presumably, you have read something about it and you are now going to tell us what it is?
You should not assume that I have no thoughts on the Bible that I did not read from somewhere.

What I might say about this I gleaned from my considerable and on going contemplation of the Scriptures.

There are some great chess players here. Probably some of them, like my brother, pour over charts, methods, theories of writers. It would be naive to think none of them can progress a strong chess game completely on their own developed skills.

I hate to be verbose. But sometimes it seems I have to be.

1.) Yes, I have received a great deal of help from others.

2.) No, it does not mean I have no thoughts and analysis of my own.

F

Moves
12 May 18

You should not assume that I have no thoughts on the Bible that I did not read from somewhere.

What I might say about this I gleaned from my considerable and on going contemplation of the Scriptures.

There are some great chess players here. Probably some of them, like my brother, pour over charts, methods, theories of writers. It would be naive to ...[text shortened]... deal of help from others.

2.) No, it does not mean I have no thoughts and analysis of my own.
If you have a unique and original insight or piece of knowledge to share about two places in the book of Revelation where John is so overcome by what he sees that he falls before an angel to worship the angel and where he is rebuked to not do that but reserve his worship for God, why not just do so rather than treating your revealing of it in such a vain and self-regarding way?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 May 18
2 edits

If you have a unique and original insight or piece of knowledge to share about two places in the book of Revelation where John is so overcome by what he sees that he falls before an angel to worship the angel and where he is rebuked to not do that but reserve his worship for God, why not just do so rather than treating your revealing of it in such a vain and self-regarding way?
Why not take my word for it that -

rather than whine that I should do things the way you think I should?

I'd be happy to know someone just has noticed the two places.
Good enough.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 May 18

Good enough.
While I’m aware of John being rebuked for worshipping an angel, I don’t recall the two places and am interested to hear where they are.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 May 18

Another question for anyone:

Is there anything in the book of Revelation that you think is really absolutely new. I mean not mentioned before somewhere in the Bible.

And this is a genuine question.
(The last one as genuine).

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 May 18

Another question for anyone:

Is there anything in the book of Revelation that you think is really absolutely new. I mean not mentioned before somewhere in the Bible.

And this is a genuine question.
(The last one as genuine).
The new heaven and new earth?

Or was that mentioned in Isaiah?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 May 18

Originally posted by @romans1009
While I’m aware of John being rebuked for worshipping an angel, I don’t recall the two places and am interested to hear where they are.
Great answer Romans1009. Thanks.

Look at Revelation 19:10.
And look at Revelation 22:8-9.

There are your two places.

F

Moves
12 May 18
2 edits

Good enough.
Why don't you just share this original piece of information you have 'uncovered'? Or if it's something you simply read somewhere, why not just give a link to that?

edit: someone said "I don’t recall the two places and am interested to hear where they are."

So you thanked him for his "great question" and told him where they are.

It's beyond parody.