1. S. Korea
    Moves
    14 Feb '18 04:54
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    '...there is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.' (Psalm 14:1)

If an atheist does one genuine good deed (say an altruistic act to save someone's life), has The Bible been disproven? - Yes, the theist could question what qualifies as a good deed, but please keep in mind Galatians 5:14:

'For the entire LAW is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”
    Oh geez, man, this is easily fixed by simply knowing the general belief that Christians have on the worth of works by themselves, the philosophy of the Jewish law, etc..

Ecclesiastes 7:20: "There is no man on the earth who does good and never sins."

There is also the belief that any work we do can be shifted towards self-beneficial and self-aggrandizing.

You have to get down into the nuts & bolts and just have some familiarity with the Bible before you try to contextualize this passage or you run the risk of it just not matching.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Feb '18 06:21
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    There is also the belief that any work we do can be shifted towards self-beneficial and self-aggrandizing.
    When your god figure sits in judgment, is he incapable of being wise to this? I thought he could supposedly see into every person's heart
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Feb '18 06:38
    Originally posted by @fmf
    When your god figure sits in judgment, is he incapable of being wise to this? I thought he could supposedly see into every person's heart
    Just curious...

How did you conclude or suspect that He wouldn’t be wise to that?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Feb '18 06:40
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Just curious...

How did you conclude or suspect that He wouldn’t be wise to that?
    The question regards something the poster I was replying to wrote.
  5. S. Korea
    Moves
    14 Feb '18 06:541 edit
    Oh of course, but this is all the more reason for men to not esteem one another's works, or to esteem their own works at all.

Rather, you need to strip yourself completely of ego and know that you cannot do good and be sinless. That is the focus within Christendom, IMO.

Even still you find yourself with runaway thoughts of being recognized for your commitments and piety. Imagine that: trying to be recognized for being humble. Yet, it is a common thought int he heart of man, and thus we should not think of oruselves at all as being capable of working good.

And by good I mean pure good; good for goodness's sake. Of course, it can happen, in unanticipated and good moments, and man is not entirely vile or corrupt or any nonsense like that... But, before God, in the sense that we stand before him as his infinite inferior, we are truly incapable fo any good.

Humility si what benefits a man.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Feb '18 06:58
    Oh of course, but this is all the more reason for men to not esteem one another's works, or to esteem their own works at all.

Rather, you need to strip yourself completely of ego and know that you cannot do good and be sinless. That is the focus within Christendom, IMO.

Even still you find yourself with runaway thoughts of being [i]recognized for ...[text shortened]... his infinite inferior, we are truly incapable fo any good.

Humility si what benefits a man.
    The question remains, is your god figure, sitting in judgment, capable of seeing these things in people's hearts and judging them ~ or not?
  7. S. Korea
    Moves
    14 Feb '18 07:49
    The question remains, is your god figure, sitting in judgment, capable of seeing these things in people's hearts and judging them ~ or not?
    Yes.

Do go on. I am on the EDGE of my SEAT.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Feb '18 08:22
    Yes.

Do go on. I am on the EDGE of my SEAT.
    So, people shifting their 'good works' towards self-beneficial and self-aggrandizing motivations in what is arguably an un-Christian manner are not going to fool your god figure.
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    14 Feb '18 08:25
    So, people shifting their 'good works' towards self-beneficial and self-aggrandizing motivations in what is arguably an un-Christian manner are not going to fool your god figure.
    As an ex-Christian you should know that God looks at the motives of the heart.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Feb '18 08:25
    Originally posted by @freakykbh
    I'm not opposed; lend away!
    Build channels , consider my OP's of late as a starter
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Feb '18 08:27
    Are you the singer on the YouTube video that bears your name?
    Are you trying to peg me? "Psssssss"
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Feb '18 08:28
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    As an ex-Christian you should know that God looks at the motives of the heart.
    My point exactly. Have you not been able to discern what this exchange of posts is about?
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Feb '18 08:29
    Whoops. That post of yours I quoted was addressed to someone else. When I saw “big brain,” I naturally thought it was addressed to me
    Naturally
  14. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    14 Feb '18 08:43
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    The one cherry you picked comes well recommended from all in the Bible from the Law of Moses to David, Solomon, the Prophets, Christ, and the Apostles. Indeed the bible closes with that very sentiment

Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. (Revelation 22:14 KJV)

It is the essense of the teachings of all in the Bible.
    Does the cherry, "The righteous shall live by faith" taste sour to you?
  15. S. Korea
    Moves
    14 Feb '18 09:35
    You didn't account for the possibility that all works, especially when contemplated in the context of salvation, appear self-serving.

The prerequisite for a work to be good is to be completely detached and personless before the work.

Thus, a full acknowledgement that you are a total sinner, and that any work rendered in any context other than emptiness is insufficient...

And can such a state be eternally sustained? Of couese not.

Thus: no man does good works and never sins as in Ecclesiastes.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree