1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Sep '20 06:31
    @philokalia said
    It's a very admirable moral stance.

I think it is unrealistic, but I generally agree with you on it, as far as things go.
    I think slavery is morally wrong and you think my stance is “unrealistic”. How is slavery being immoral “unrealistic”?

You “generally agree” that slavery is immoral... ok so when would be the exceptions?

What does “as far as things go” mean?
  2. S. Korea
    Moves
    17 Sep '20 07:44
    @divegeester said
    I think slavery is morally wrong and you think my stance is “unrealistic”. How is slavery being immoral “unrealistic”?
    I guess I should have used more words.

It is noble to believe that lying is immoral; but when we are talking about it in a greater context, it is impossible to consider a world in which no lies are ever done.

Or, to consider a world in which no animals are killed, or no humans killed, etc.
  3. S. Korea
    Moves
    17 Sep '20 07:45
    @divegeester said
    You “generally agree” that slavery is immoral... ok so when would be the exceptions?

What does “as far as things go” mean?
    In previous ages, prisoners of wars being converted into slavery in some circumstances makes a lot of sense. It's better than executing them, and releasing them was not practical because you would have to fight them again.

In previous ages, it also makes sense that some people could sell themselves into slavery and others take them in as slaves when this was the only means left for them due to famine and the likes.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Sep '20 08:45
    @philokalia said
    It is noble to believe that lying is immoral; but when we are talking about it in a greater context, it is impossible to consider a world in which no lies are ever done.
    How is my believing that slavery is immoral “unrealistic”?
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Sep '20 08:52
    @philokalia said
    In previous ages, prisoners of wars being converted into slavery in some circumstances makes a lot of sense. It's better than executing them, and releasing them was not practical because you would have to fight them again.

In previous ages, it also makes sense that some people could sell themselves into slavery and others take them in as slaves when this was the only means left for them due to famine and the likes.
    You were asked what the exceptions to slavery being immoral were, not what aspects of slavery are commercially or militarily expedient.

It is interesting to watch how you make these moral convolutions across dozens of posts as you seek to justify your racism using the bible and your so-called Christianity to help you, while you immediately and passionately blurt your “personal offence” at the Hagia Sophia being used by Muslims.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Sep '20 08:52
    @philokalia said
    I guess I should have used more words.
    Just lie if you are struggling.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    17 Sep '20 10:02
    @philokalia said
    You know there's a special relationship between orthodoxy and the Hagia Sophia, yes?
    We don't.
    I'd really like to hear it.

Also - how do you account for your special interest in
    Hagia Sophia and you don't know what "Hagia Sophia" means?
  8. S. Korea
    Moves
    17 Sep '20 23:25
    @divegeester said
    How is my believing that slavery is immoral “unrealistic”?
    It is unrealistic in the sense that it puts forward absurd norms for all time that are actually going to produce more evil than good, but you believe that it would produce more good than evil because you do not have a realistic understanding of historical circumstances and norms.
  9. S. Korea
    Moves
    17 Sep '20 23:28
    @wolfgang59 said
    We don't.
    I'd really like to hear it.

Also - how do you account for your special interest in
    Hagia Sophia and you don't know what "Hagia Sophia" means?
    Write a post presenting your views, or don't. I do not really care.

But posing as an interrogator and possessor of some secret knowledge that I have to wheedle out is really lame, and there are enough posters that use this as their MO.
  10. S. Korea
    Moves
    17 Sep '20 23:32
    @divegeester said
    You were asked what the exceptions to slavery being immoral were, not what aspects of slavery are commercially or militarily expedient.

It is interesting to watch how you make these moral convolutions across dozens of posts as you seek to justify your racism using the bible and your so-called Christianity to help you, while you immediately and passionately blurt your “personal offence” at the Hagia Sophia being used by Muslims.
    To correct a misunderstandings:

My post dealt with it by naming some circumstances in which it is the best choice among available options.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    17 Sep '20 23:43
    @divegeester said

There are millions of people all over the world starving and living in abject poverty, unable to feed their children. Many of these people would happily sell their lives [become a slave] to someone who can afford to feed, house and clothe them and their children, and work in return. Slavery is not immoral if it is done humanely as the bible recommends.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Sep '20 01:321 edit
    @philokalia said
    Write a post presenting your views, or don't. I do not really care.

But posing as an interrogator and possessor of some secret knowledge that I have to wheedle out is really lame, and there are enough posters that use this as their MO.
    You asked this question:
    You know there's a special relationship between orthodoxy and the Hagia Sophia, yes?

And I replied and asked a question of my own.

And you call that interrogation?

What is the special relationship between orthodoxy and the Hagia Sophia that you speak of?

And I was curious how you knew about it.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Sep '20 01:55
    @philokalia said
    So, why not put a question directly to me, in a clear context, so I can make a comment on it, and then I can elaborate to provide clarification.
    More evasion. You're sounding a bit furtive.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Sep '20 02:01
    @philokalia said
    It is unrealistic in the sense that it puts forward absurd norms for all time that are actually going to produce more evil than good, but you believe that it would produce more good than evil because you do not have a realistic understanding of historical circumstances and norms.
    My belief that all slavery is morally wrong is both “unrealistic” and “absurd” and some forms of slavery produce some “good” somehow in your view of historical “norms”.

Keep going Philokalia....
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Sep '20 02:04
    @rajk999 said
    Slavery is not immoral if it is done humanely as the bible recommends.
    Slavery is moral if it is humane and biblical.

It’s ok to beat children.

Spiritual salvation is by personal effort.

Right...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree