The Heart

The Heart

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aficionado of Prawns

Texas

Moves
02 Jun 18

Disco Inferno and all that.

E

Moves
02 Jun 18

Originally posted by @romans1009
Spot on. That’s why John 3:16 and Romans 10:9 say to believe in Jesus in one’s heart. The heart determines thoughts and thoughts determine actions. It’s amazing how many atheist don’t get this.
What of white washed tombs? Were they righteous in their actions?

Aficionado of Prawns

Texas

Moves
02 Jun 18

Originally posted by @eladar
What of white washed tombs? Were they righteous in their actions?
Works are judged by heartfelt intent. In the comic "Calvin and Hobbes" Calvin wondered... if he does good things for the sole purpose of earning more loot under the Christmas tree, will Santa still give him credit? The answer is obvious.

E

Moves
02 Jun 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
Works are judged by heartfelt intent. In the comic "Calvin and Hobbes" Calvin wondered... if he does good things for the sole purpose of earning more loot under the Christmas tree, will Santa still give him credit? The answer is obvious.
Who can judge heart felt intent?

Read in the original post about how Paul felt about his own salvation.

Aficionado of Prawns

Texas

Moves
02 Jun 18

Who can judge heart felt intent?
God and God alone.

E

Moves
02 Jun 18

God and God alone.
Kind of puts a kink in OSAS doctrine, at least in application.

Aficionado of Prawns

Texas

Moves
02 Jun 18

Not at all.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Jun 18

You’d be right if God’s Holy Spirit didn’t indwell someone when they genuinely and sincerely believed in and accepted Christ.

“The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:”

(Romans 8:16)

Aficionado of Prawns

Texas

Moves
02 Jun 18

You’d be right if God’s Holy Spirit didn’t indwell someone when they genuinely and sincerely believed in and accepted Christ.

“The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:”

Can either of you explain how God being the sole judge of our heart, contradicts OSAS?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Jun 18

Can either of you explain how God being the sole judge of our heart, contradicts OSAS?
I don’t think it does.

E

Moves
02 Jun 18

Not at all.
Who knows then that they are saved? God makes the call, not them.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Jun 18

No, He doesn’t. Individual people determine if they are saved based on whether they accept or reject Christ.

E

Moves
02 Jun 18

No, He doesn’t. Individual people determine if they are saved based on whether they accept or reject Christ.
1 Corinthians 4

Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful. 3 I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. 4 My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. 5 Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait until the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of the heart. At that time each will receive their praise from God.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Jun 18

1 Corinthians 4

Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful. 3 I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. 4 My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. 5 Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait until the ...[text shortened]... and will expose the motives of the heart. At that time each will receive their praise from God.
Why do you think Paul is speaking of salvation in those verses?

This, also written by Paul, seems much more straightforward:

Aficionado of Prawns

Texas

Moves
02 Jun 18

Therein lies the conundrum. The bible tells us our salvation is assured once we are born again. Then what of the value of faith if grace is permanent? Our faith is in the promises of God. Yes we are assured, but we have faith that the assurance is true and reliable.