1. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 01:04
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Roman style sacrifice usually involved burying people alive. There was also this sacrifice:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Marius_Gratidianus#Sacrificial_death

Gratidianus "had his life drained out of him piece by piece, in effect: his legs and arms were first broken, and his eyes gouged out."

They also threw old men over cliffs ...[text shortened]... wouldn't be surprised if the Crucifiction wasn't originally a pagan human sacrifice method.
    Well the Romans were definitely pagans and they lined the 'Appian way' with Crucified enemies if they got pissed off.

I just cannot believe christianity has not run a propaganda campaign against paganism for last 2000 years.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 01:491 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Not sure if this is theme running through other Olympic ceremonies, but did anyone else notice how much occult and mythological symbolism there was in it? I'm not one for reading much into these things, but I was quite surprised by it all.
    Why were you surprised? They are hardly a Christian coiuntry. They had to have some sort of theme. Actually it seemed more anti-Christian than occultish to me, not that they are far apart. All that was missing was Madonna in a thong with a cross burning behind her. After all, she thinks she is really English ya know.

I guess they showed Jesus. Even king Herod would have been proud. 😛
  3. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 04:23
    Originally posted by whodey
    Why were you surprised? They are hardly a Christian coiuntry. They had to have some sort of theme. Actually it seemed more anti-Christian than occultish to me, not that they are far apart. All that was missing was Madonna in a thong with a cross burning behind her. After all, she thinks she is really English ya know.

Care to cite an anti christian aspect of ceremony?
  4. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 04:29
    LOL 😀

Everybody else did human sacrifice. You think British people are better than the rest?
    "You think British people are better than the rest?"

Yes of course.😕

Also given that christianity is based on an act of human sacrifice why does it get associated with paganism.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 05:08
    Not sure if this is theme running through other Olympic ceremonies, but did anyone else notice how much occult and mythological symbolism there was in it? I'm not one for reading much into these things, but I was quite surprised by it all.
    I think you would find plenty of occult and mythological symbolism if you stepped into any Church in the UK. In fact, I think that any symbolism whatsoever that you can find anywhere can be tied in some way to either the occult or mythology. 'The occult' after all just refers to 'the mythology that I don't believe and am scared of'.
  6. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 08:41
    LOL @ creepy old aunt 😀

Wicker men are Celtic, not English. Traditional English ritual execution involves hanging people or cutting them into blood eagles.

"They caused the bloody eagle to be carved on the back of Ælla, and they cut away all of the ribs from the spine, and then they ripped out his lungs."

Uncertain origin, said to be ...[text shortened]... bone, and draw the lungs there out, and gave him to Odin for the victory he had won"
    As marvellous an idea as I find it, I don't think you can make any sort of argument at all for the blood eagle as an English practice. If it was ever used at all (and it cheers me to think that it was), it would have been a Norse tradition. The English, as always short of imagination, either hanged or chopped off heads.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 09:37
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    The English, as always short of imagination, either hanged or chopped off heads.
    What about 'drawn and quartered' or drowning (for witches)?
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 10:19
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I think you would find plenty of occult and mythological symbolism if you stepped into any Church in the UK. In fact, I think that any symbolism whatsoever that you can find anywhere can be tied in some way to either the occult or mythology. 'The occult' after all just refers to 'the mythology that I don't believe and am scared of'.
    Completely agree.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 10:201 edit
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    do you find it disturbing that mono theism has not managed to entirely eradicate the old beliefs entirely.
    Not in the slightest; do you find that disturbing?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 10:231 edit
    Originally posted by whodey

Why was I surprised? Because it was so overt and and I don't remember it being so much so previous olympiads.

Who are hardly a Christian country? England, Greece, Russia?

How was the closing ceremony anti christian?
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 16:29
    Why was I surprised? Because it was so overt and and I don't remember it being so much so previous olympiads.

Who are hardly a Christian country? England, Greece, Russia?

How was the closing ceremony anti christian?
    It is a product of our times. It shows from the popularity of the Harry Potter books and movies. It is something that the British are especially proud of, don't you think?
  12. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 18:24
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Step away from wiki if you want an unbiased view of wicker 😠
    Yes, wickerpedia is much more reliable......
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 19:02
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Yes, wickerpedia is much more reliable......
    😞
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 19:03
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    As marvellous an idea as I find it, I don't think you can make any sort of argument at all for the blood eagle as an English practice. If it was ever used at all (and it cheers me to think that it was), it would have been a Norse tradition. The English, as always short of imagination, either hanged or chopped off heads.
    Celts like to behead people too. They'd preserve the head in salt and show it off to visitors.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Aug '12 00:55

How was the closing ceremony anti christian?[/b]
    I did not see it but I heard of the occult symbols as you say. I also heard of the tribute to John Lenin, you know the guy who said that the Beatles were more famous than Jesus and then played the song "Imagine".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree