The Stephen Fry problem

The Stephen Fry problem

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
25 May 18
2 edits

Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
Well. Unless you are prepared to argue that animals are on equal or greater terms with humans, why is it selfish or conceited to believe humans are special? I mean, we don't seem to have met up with any superior alien species yet. So, until then...... we're uniquely THE rulers of this planet (spiritual matters aside).
We are not the fastest, nor strongest, nor largest, nor best swimmer, of the animals. We can't fly unaided. We aren't the best at enduring temperature extremes.

The main things we have going for us are intelligence and opposable thumbs. Those are significant advantages, but sometimes we get so enamored with them that we lose sight of our weaknesses. Our ego gets in the way of objectivity.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 May 18

Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
We are not the fastest, nor strongest, nor largest, nor best swimmer, of the animals. We can't fly unaided. We aren't the best at enduring temperature extremes.

The main things we have going for us are intelligence and opposable thumbs. Those are significant advantages, but sometimes we get so enamored with them that we lose sight of our weaknesses. Our ego gets in the way of objectivity.
<<The main things we have going for us are intelligence and opposable thumbs.>>

Well, atheists have opposable thumbs going for them. On the Intellgence front, they’re typically dumber than a bag of rocks.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
25 May 18

Originally posted by @romans1009
Who was Adam’s first wife?
Not fond of research, are you?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 May 18

Originally posted by @apathist
Not fond of research, are you?
Sounds more like a riddle.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
25 May 18

Sounds more like a riddle.
Or you sound like a coward.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 May 18

Or you sound like a coward.
You’re doing a good job as the atheists’ new lickspittle but you gotta get more imaginative with your trolling.

This blunt-force, bull-in-a-china-shop trolling works well in limited quantities, but if you’re in it for the long haul, you need more tools in your trolling toolbox.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 May 18

From gotquestions.org

Question: "Who was Lilith / Lillith? Does the Bible say anything about Adam having another wife before Eve?"

Answer: There are legends that Adam had a wife before Eve who was named Lilith, but this is not found in the Bible. The legends vary significantly, but they all essentially agree that Lilith left Adam because she did not want to submit to him. According to the legends, Lilith was an evil, wicked woman who committed adultery with Satan and produced a race of evil creatures. None of this is true. There is no biblical basis whatsoever for these concepts. There is no one in the Bible named Lilith.

The passage most often pointed to as evidence for Lilith is Isaiah 34:14, which in the NRSV reads, "there too Lilith shall repose." This is a poor translation. Every other major translation of the Bible reads something to the effect of "night creature" or "screech owl." Even if "demon monster named Lilith" was the proper translation of the Hebrew word, Adam is nowhere even hinted at in this passage or its context. Whatever the Lilith was, it is not given any connection whatsoever to Adam or Creation.

Another commonly used support for Lilith is the differing Creation accounts in Genesis chapters 1-2. Some claim that the woman in Genesis 1 was Lilith, with the woman in Genesis 2 being Eve. This is completely ludicrous. Rather, Genesis chapter 2 is a "closer look" at the creation of Adam and Eve as recorded in Genesis chapter 1. The Bible specifically says that Adam and Eve were the first human beings ever created (Genesis 1:26-28; 2:18-25). This "Lilith" myth is popular in some radical feminist movements because Lilith is an example of a woman refusing to submit to male headship. While there are myths outside of the Word of God regarding Lilith, her complete absence from Scripture demonstrates that she is nothing more than a myth.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
25 May 18

You’re doing a good job as the atheists’ new lickspittle but you gotta get more imaginative with your trolling.

This blunt-force, bull-in-a-china-shop trolling works well in limited quantities, but if you’re in it for the long haul, you need more tools in your trolling toolbox.
I understand now. One of us is the troll.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
25 May 18
1 edit

Answer: There are legends that Adam had a wife before Eve who was named Lilith, but this is not found in the Bible. ...
I realize that you never investigated the bible and its history, its source, the parts left out, the translation issues. The politics involved in building for example a King James version. You are clueless, but just start researching, buddy, you can heal.

I should say cut-n-paste on stuff new to you looks really weak. We are supposed to know, or are trying to know, what we talk about.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 May 18

I realize that you never investigated the bible and its history, its source, the parts left out, the translation issues. The politics involved in building for example a King James version. You are clueless, but just start researching, buddy, you can heal.

I should say cut-n-paste on stuff new to you looks really weak. We are supposed to know, or are trying to know, what we talk about.
I never heard of Eve being Adam’s second wife and know Adam having a wife other than Eve is mentioned nowhere in Genesis.

So I went to a website I trust and it just confirmed what I already knew - the claim that Eve was Adam’s second wife is a load of bollocks.

I know enough about how the Bible was put together and am much more interested in what’s in the Bible as the Bible is the inerrant Word of God and has changed countless lives for the better.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 May 18

I understand now. One of us is the troll.
Yes. Look in the mirror for who it is.

Moves
25 May 18

<<The main things we have going for us are intelligence and opposable thumbs.>>

Well, atheists have opposable thumbs going for them. On the Intellgence front, they’re typically dumber than a bag of rocks.
"Well, atheists have opposable thumbs going for them. On the Intellgence front, they’re typically dumber than a bag of rocks."

Substitute any number of names of groups, including your own, and you have an idea of the historical ugliness of this sentiment.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 May 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @js357
"Well, atheists have opposable thumbs going for them. On the Intellgence front, they’re typically dumber than a bag of rocks."

Substitute any number of names of groups, including your own, and you have an idea of the historical ugliness of this sentiment.
I was (mostly) kidding. Lighten up.

BTW, the Bible said atheists are fools. Who am I to argue with the Bible?

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
25 May 18

I was (mostly) kidding. Lighten up.

BTW, the Bible said atheists are fools. Who am I to argue with the Bible?
When we convert truth to ideology, is truth corrupted or is ideology elevated?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 May 18

Originally posted by @freakykbh
When we convert truth to ideology, is truth corrupted or is ideology elevated?
Truth is never corrupted. It may be modified, but then it is no longer truth.

As far as whether ideology is elevated, I suppose that depends on its prior state and how truth is applied (or misapplied) to it.