1. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 04:10
    As much as we talk about God and assign many different names to Him; something tells me none of us have it right. It has been said that the name of God is so powerful that long ago, the Hebrews sought to hide the name so that it could never be used. And of course there is the Commandment not to speak His name in vain, and that would make a lot more sense if it is true that by using His true name, one can wield great powers. Imagine a time way back, when the Hebrew priests were able to use the true name of God to call down His powers to help them. Surely they, being mere humans, would have been too tempted to use this power for relatively insignifcant benefits. Hence the Commandment, perhaps?

Jehovah, Yahweh, Elohim, Adonai... I personally believe these are all replacement names and the true name lies hidden in ancient archives, perhaps never to be discovered.

Stumbled across this 2 minute video.. which is interesting.

YouTube&feature=player_embedded

Would I want to know God's true name and wield the power that comes with it? My human self says yes, but my spiritual self says, no way. I wouldn't give it the reverence and respect it deserves and I would certainly end up using it in vain.
  2. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 04:17
    Ha. Just thought of the similarity between the above train of thought and Lord of the Rings.

All the lesser names carrying certain power in an of themselves... and one name, granting ultimate power, to rule them all.

Oh well. I'm sure that isn't what Tolkien was going for, but it sort of fits.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 05:151 edit
    Originally posted by sumydid
    As much as we talk about God and assign many different names to Him; something tells me none of us have it right. It has been said that the name of God is so powerful that long ago, the Hebrews sought to hide the name so that it could never be used. And of course there is the Commandment not to speak His name in vain, and that would make a lot more sense i t give it the reverence and respect it deserves and I would certainly end up using it in vain.
    elohim and adonia are not names, they are no more names than man or dog, whereas
    Robbie and Fido are names.
  4. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 05:401 edit
    Ok well I suppose you would say Jehovah is the true name for God... whereas most Christians would say it is YHWH or Yahweh... did you see the video clip.
  5. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 05:44
    Spoiler Alert:

It's Steve. God's name is Steve.
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 05:482 edits
    As much as we talk about God and assign many different names to Him; something tells me none of us have it right. It has been said that the name of God is so powerful that long ago, the Hebrews sought to hide the name so that it could never be used. And of course there is the Commandment not to speak His name in vain, and that would make a lot more sense i t give it the reverence and respect it deserves and I would certainly end up using it in vain.
    Further, Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament, Vol. 1, Chicago (1980), p. 13, says: “To avoid the risk of taking God’s name (YHWH) in vain, devout Jews began to substitute the word adonay for the proper name itself. Although the Masoretes left the four original consonants in the text, they added the vowels (in place of for other reasons) and to remind the reader to pronounce adonay
    regardless of the consonants. This feature occurs more than six thousand times in the Hebrew Bible. Most translations use all capital letters to make the title ‘LORD.’ Exceptions are the ASV [American Standard Version] and New World Translation which use ‘Jehovah,’ Amplified [Bible] which uses ‘Lord,’ and JB [The Jerusalem Bible] which uses ‘Yahweh.’ . . . In those places where adonay yhwh
    yhwh occurs the latter word is pointed with the vowels from him, and the English renderings such as ‘Lord GOD’ arose (e.g. Amos 7:1).”
  7. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 05:49
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Further, Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament, Vol. 1, Chicago (1980), p. 13, says: “To avoid the risk of taking God’s name (YHWH) in vain, devout Jews began to substitute the word ʼǎdōnā(y) for the proper name itself. Although the Masoretes left the four original consonants in the text, they added the vowels ē (in place of ...[text shortened]... om ʼēlōhim, and the English renderings such as ‘Lord GOD’ arose (e.g. Amos 7:1).”
    Praise ʼǎdōn&#257 😕
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 05:52
    Jehovah, Yahweh, Elohim, Adonai... I personally believe these are all replacement names and the true name lies hidden in ancient archives, perhaps never to be discovered.
    Here in Indonesia Christians use the words Tuhan and Allah.
  9. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 05:53
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Spoiler Alert:

It's Steve. God's name is Steve.
    HAHAHA!! 🙄
  10. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 05:53
    Originally posted by FMF
    Here in Indonesia Christians use the words Tuhan and Allah.
    Christians use the Islamic name for God? Strange indeed.
  11. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 05:54
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Praise ʼǎdōn&#257 😕
    Sorry for the weird scribble that shows up in my post. I have no idea why it comes over that way but I have to go back and always correct it.
  12. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 05:56
    Further, Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament, Vol. 1, Chicago (1980), p. 13, says: “To avoid the risk of taking God’s name (YHWH) in vain, devout Jews began to substitute the word adonay for the proper name itself. Although the Masoretes left the four original consonants in the text, they added the vowels (in place of for other reasons) and to ...[text shortened]... with the vowels from him, and the English renderings such as ‘Lord GOD’ arose (e.g. Amos 7:1).”
    Thanks for the post! Seems to add a little credence to what I'm getting at. Obviously there was a lot of emphasis placed on avoiding invoking the power of God unnecessarily... so much so, the devout Jews replaced the name with something else.

Is the video clip wrong in ITS assessment of God's true name? And, do you think any of us really know the true name or do you agree with me that it is buried and all the names we use are these watered down replacements?
  13. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 05:581 edit
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Praise ʼǎdōn&#257 😕
    Ha. I took CP seriously. And liked it.

Better yet (using the context of God as programmer... )

Praise 10110001010001100101 !
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 05:58
    As much as we talk about God and assign many different names to Him; something tells me none of us have it right. It has been said that the name of God is so powerful that long ago, the Hebrews sought to hide the name so that it could never be used. And of course there is the Commandment not to speak His name in vain, and that would make a lot more sense i ...[text shortened]... t give it the reverence and respect it deserves and I would certainly end up using it in vain.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elohim

Elohim means god or gods. It is not a name as Jehovah is.
  15. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 06:00
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elohim

Elohim means god or gods. It is not a name as Jehovah is.
    Ok... meanwhile.... I replied to you above.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree