1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 19:55
    Originally posted by JS357
    It isn't so much that he shouldn't have a name, the point I am getting to is that it may be a regression from theological progress to think of the entity we call God, as having a name, or to spend time on what that name is. Names are such mundane things, that by their very nature, limit the entity named. They exist to differentiate an individual from some grou ...[text shortened]... g the fact that the deity is truly unique and does not need to be "called out by name."
    Thanks for you point of view.

One problem with not using Jehovah when speaking of God almighty is knowing exactly who a scripture is speaking of.
    Many believe that Jesus and Jehovah are the same being or 1 in 3 being. But if the scriptures do use their individual names it obviously shows the seperation of the two as being two individuals.

For instance here is one example:

Since Jesus is referred to as a Lord, this scripture makes one wonder who it is speaking of.

Psalm 8:9
    New Living Translation (NLT)

9 O LORD, our Lord, your majestic name fills the earth!

Now from the NWT:

(Psalm 8:9) O Jehovah our Lord, how majestic your name is in all the earth!

Do you see the differences in the capitalisation of the first "LORD" in the first scripture? That is always the reference to Jehovah when capitalised and "Lord" when it is speaking of Jesus.
    So if Jehovah's name was left in all it's original places in the Bible, much confusion would be done away with.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 20:22
    Originally posted by FMF
    It would seem that the era when people here were concerned with "how many times" you had said something or other has long since passed.
    Well, they should be concerned.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 20:25
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    first of all Gods name is the tetragrammaton, it contains the four Hebrew consonants,
    YHWH, or JHVH, Yah or Jah is an abbreviated form.
    You can take the "J" out for there was no "J" until the middle ages. Yah is not an abbreviation. Yah is God's name, Spanky! 😏

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!
  4. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 20:34
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    You can take the "J" out for there was no "J" until the middle ages. Yah is not an abbreviation. Yah is God's name, Spanky! 😏

You can take the J out of RJ

and put it into

JC
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 20:55
    Originally posted by RJHinds

bwhahaha, the JHWH and YHWH are English equivalents of the Hebrew consonants and
    it depends upon which language one is attempting to convey them in, not some jive
    turkey talk about the middle ages. The fact that the Hebrew equivalent for Christ,
    Yeshua is now pronounced, in English with a J, from the Greek, Iesous is rather telling.
    One never hears people saying that this is incorrect, do we, you fail fatboy Hinds, you
    fail big time!
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 20:56
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    You can take the J out of RJ

and put it into

JC
    we can take the J out of RJ and make it Judas, Ronald Judas Hinds!
  7. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 20:58
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    we can take the J out of RJ and make it Judas, Ronald Judas Hinds!
    Someone alleged that RJ Hinds
    and JC Messy are one and the same.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 21:261 edit
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    Someone alleged that RJ Hinds
    and JC Messy are one and the same.
    who can tell with Jonah Hinds, he has more manifestations than one can track! Its probably true.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 22:58
    Originally posted by sumydid
    Christians use the Islamic name for God? Strange indeed.
    He and I went round and round on this once before.

Don't let him suck you into it, it's not worth it.
  10. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 23:12
    Originally posted by Suzianne

God is a woman........

All hail to Suzianne.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 23:20

sumydid is mistaken. "Allah" is a Christian word for God in many parts of the world. If you dispute this, why not just say why?
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 23:25
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Thanks for you point of view.

One problem with not using Jehovah when speaking of God almighty is knowing exactly who a scripture is speaking of.
    Many believe that Jesus and Jehovah are the same being or 1 in 3 being. But if the scriptures do use their individual names it obviously shows the seperation of the two as being two individuals.

For i ...[text shortened]... was left in all it's original places in the Bible, much confusion would be done away with.
    I suppose if there is to be scripture that talks about the ineffable (unutterable), then words have to be put on paper (uttered). They should reflect as clearly as possible the reality they intend to describe. Study helps; more than I have done would be needed concerning the Jehovah/Lord matter.

I continue to think that at the least, what is said has to reflect and convey, at some point, that there is an ultimate ineffability that is being treated as effable for the sake of human understanding. I'll continue to watch this thread although it shows signs of going the way of all threads.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 23:36
    Originally posted by FMF
    sumydid is mistaken. "Allah" is a Christian word for God in many parts of the world. If you dispute this, why not just say why?
    I do not dispute that what you say is factually correct.

You and I went round and round on this before because you left out one crucial fact. A fact that you again failed to include so far in your conversation with him. If you dispute this, why not just say why? Are you waiting for him to make the same mistake I made? Why taunt people like that?
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 23:44
    I do not dispute that what you say is factually correct.

You and I went round and round on this before because you left out one crucial fact. A fact that you again failed to include so far in your conversation with him. If you dispute this, why not just say why? Are you waiting for him to make the same mistake I made? Why taunt people like that?
    He seems to enjoy it?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 23:50
    I do not dispute that what you say is factually correct. You and I went round and round on this before because you left out one crucial fact.
    I remember you and robbie trying to personalize a discussion about the word "Allah" meaning "God" for millions of Christians, if that's what you mean by something going "round and round". I "left out one crucial fact"? Sounds like a euphemism for 'Suzianne got something wrong'. 😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree