1. Earth
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 17:461 edit
    Do you believe that all people have the "voice of God" available to them regardless of what religion they practice if any?

The truth is in every religious book. Gita, Bible, Quran.... It is just that it is so shrouded in all the wrong interpretations.

What do you think it'll take for mankind to unify?

Mankind has to start questioning their beliefs. I see this happening already It is why you and I are having this discussin.

No man shall attain the shores of the ocean of true understanding except he be detached from all that is in heaven and on earth.

(Baha'u'llah, The Kitab-i-Iqan)

Do you have a response for the questions posed in the original post for this thread?

Freedom is from our selves. We are imprisoned by our desires, our ideas, our earthly posissions. Once we know that we are part of a bigger whole, we work for that end rather than just for ourselves. We can not be happy when our neighbor is sufferring. Enire human race needs to be educated. Ignorance is the real enemy.
  2. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 19:11
    Originally posted by Varqa
    [b]Do you believe that all people have the "voice of God" available to them regardless of what religion they practice if any?

The truth is in every religious book. Gita, Bible, Quran.... It is just that it is so shrouded in all the wrong interpretations.

Mankind has to start questioning ...[text shortened]... neighbor is sufferring. Enire human race needs to be educated. Ignorance is the real enemy.[/b]
    Exactly. The Voice of God is within. Rather than say all religions are wrong, though, you could say that all religions are at least partly right. That sounds more positive.

I like the idea that many religions have evolved under different conditions in different societies. In part, that implies that religion is a naturally occurring behavior pattern for human beings. What do you say to that, scottishinz?
  3. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 20:111 edit
    I would like to make a hypothesis. Imagine that there is only one God. From the beginning, Million years ago, He has been communicating with us, sending us His messengers to tell us about Him and giving us instructions on how to live our lives.

God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, 1:2 Hath in th ...[text shortened]... enge is to tune out all the garbage created by the religious leaders and listen to voice of God.
    have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. but when he, the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. John 16:12

On that day, He told them, There will be no more darkness, because mankind will be mature enough to realize its unity and then I will send you the One who will teach you all about me. VARQA

I assume you are refering to Jesus' sayings about the Holy Spirit. If you are then this is incompatible with your "all religions are the same under one God" idea. Jesus was specific about the Holy Spirit and that he would guide us in the truth about who HE was. The coming of the Spirit was signified in Acts with the speaking of tongues etc amongst early Christians. Jesus taught that God dwelt in him and we could dwell in Jesus via the Holy Spirit. Jesus becomes the channel between God and men (No-one comes to the Father except through me) and the way this happens is through the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the living God with us , and it's presence with us is only made possible by Jesus' sacrifice and the Holy Spirit is to guide us in the truth of following and dwelling in Jesus (not mohammed,buddha, Abraham or anyone else).

So please stop taking his words out of context and making them fit something you want them to fit. He's a square peg in your round hole. His sayings point exclusively to following him and him only specifically. No other religious leader makes the claim of being the Son of the Living God who will judge humanity at the end of time and who will be living channel through which men will approach God. Jesus cannot make claims like this without the expectation of singling himself out in a unique catagory all of his own.

I don't know who you are quoting but it's not the Jesus of the NT , it's a jesus of your own imaginings.
  4. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 21:16
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Well, I'd give much better odds of the existence of God than the existance of fairies at the bottom of my garden.
    Why? What physical evidence do you have for either?
  5. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 21:19
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    [b]Lack of evidence.
    Untrue. There is not one field of science which has produced any credible evidence which conclusively shows even one part of the Bible as inaccurate. While there have been factions within various branches of science with its own adherents, there are no reasonable people within any of the same which can honestly claim that their ...[text shortened]... Christ set us free, not for exchanging one system of slavish hopelessness for another.[/b]
    What a rancid pile of spew this is.

Genesis I shows the bible to be in error, with plants "created" before the sun. It also has birds created before land animals. Both statements are demonstrably false. The only thing you do have is a bunch of whiners who'll twist words around to try and make themselves look like they ain't talking crap.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 21:301 edit
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    What a rancid pile of spew this is.

Genesis I shows the bible to be in error, with plants "created" before the sun. It also has birds created before land animals. Both statements are demonstrably false. The only thing you do have is a bunch of whiners who'll twist words around to try and make themselves look like they ain't talking crap.
    Demonstrably false? If you truly consider a record of catastrophic death equatable to a recorded order of life, no amount of empirical evidence can convince you of reality. For all of your learnedness, you apparently haven't conquered accurate data and/or conceptual analysis.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 21:59
    Why? What physical evidence do you have for either?
    For one, I don't have a garden 🙂

Actually, one doesn't necessarily need "physical evidence" to make an assessment of the likelihood of something being true. One can often achieve a reasonable degree of accuracy on intuition alone.
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 22:30
    [b]Do you believe that all people have the "voice of God" available to them regardless of what religion they practice if any?

Mankind has to start questioning ...[text shortened]... neighbor is sufferring. Enire human race needs to be educated. Ignorance is the real enemy.[/b]
    What do you think of the idea of the voice of truth as indwelling? While religious books can help guide one, I'm not sure they are the best source. I would think that both those without the aid of religious books and athiests would be able to hear the voice of truth.

Do you think ignorance is more of an enemy than an individuals "desire for the self" obscuring the voice of truth?
  9. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 22:54
    [b]I do think the bible contains many observations regarding humanity that are undoubtedly true. There is a lot of wisdom re the nature of human interaction that time cannot fade.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I assume that you believe that you believe that there is a morality that is likewise absolute and eternal. Isn't "sin" basically going against this morality?[/b]
    You are moving very fast now. Morality is a code of behaviour. Why should this code be either absolute or eternal?
  10. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 22:56
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Demonstrably false? If you truly consider a record of catastrophic death equatable to a recorded order of life, no amount of empirical evidence can convince you of reality. For all of your learnedness, you apparently haven't conquered accurate data and/or conceptual analysis.
    What a rancid pile of idiot you are being today. Fine, you don't like my dismissal of the genesis lie? Okay, where's all the evidence for a worldwide flood occurring 4,000 years ago?
  11. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 22:59

Actually, one doesn't necessarily need "physical evidence" to make an assessment of the likelihood of something being true. One can often achieve a reasonable degree of accuracy on intuition alone.

How do you know? You might never have seen your garden, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

One can often achieve a reasonable degree of accuracy on intuition alone.

Have you ever looked at a cloud and saw a face? Or a camel? or something else? Does that mean that there really was a face, a camel or whatever? Or is it just a trick of the mind? You'd be surprised how often the mind plays tricks.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 23:02
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    You are moving very fast now. Morality is a code of behaviour. Why should this code be either absolute or eternal?
    I guess I saw morality as the foundation of "wisdom re the nature of human interaction". I wasn't really sure what you meant by that. Care to expand on it.
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 23:111 edit
    [b]For one, I don't have a garden 🙂

How do you know? You might never have seen your garden, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

One can often achieve a reasonable degree of accuracy on intuition alone.

Have you ever looked at a cloud and saw a face? Or a camel? or something else? Does that mean that there really was a face ...[text shortened]... er? Or is it just a trick of the mind? You'd be surprised how often the mind plays tricks.[/b]
    Now you're being difficult just to be difficult. No wonder you're always at odds with the closed minded and unreasonable theists around here. You guys are too much alike 🙂
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    30 Dec '06 00:16
    What a rancid pile of idiot you are being today. Fine, you don't like my dismissal of the genesis lie? Okay, where's all the evidence for a worldwide flood occurring 4,000 years ago?
    I had no idea that idiocy was able to be piled. Good to know. Regarding the evidence, however, I'm sure someone of your advanced skill should be more than able to research such 'evidence' on their own.
  15. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    30 Dec '06 02:54
    I guess I saw morality as the foundation of "wisdom re the nature of human interaction". I wasn't really sure what you meant by that. Care to expand on it.
    Wisdom re the people round about you. What is the best way to do something, achieve a result. How do you pass on that information, and benefit those around you, and your offspring, and those around them? Usually tell a story about it. Usually it will have a key point to it, perhaps a warning. Called the moral of the story by some. Wrongly I fear, because much of the nature of human interaction has nothing to do with 'good' or 'bad' per se.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree