1. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 08:22
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    Do any of you christians notice that there are many atheists around here who seem to love ripping into christian belief but as soon as you fight back and suggest that they might have some contradictions to think about themselves they get all offended as if their noses have been put out of joint? I've come to the conclusion that some (not all) can dish it out but as soon as it gets rough they can't take it. Has this been your experience?
    Are you able to give any examples because I have not noticed any atheists getting offended or getting their noses out of joint? At least not from genuine suggestions that they might have contradictions.
    Occasionally we might get upset (offended isn't the right word) whey Christians (creationists especially) repeatedly try to intentionally mis-characterize science in order to try and shed doubt on theories that they see as conflicting with their beliefs.
    For example one of the posters in this thread capitalized the word 'theory' when referring to the big bang theory. His intention is not to show that there is any contradiction but to knowingly falsely claim that because it is named a theory it is actually only a guess. I am absolutely sure that he, or the person he got the idea from knows perfectly well that it is a falsehood to make such claims and even if we explain to him why it is so he will continue to repeat it over and over in multiple threads.
  2. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 10:30
    Do any of you christians notice that there are many atheists around here who seem to love ripping into christian belief but as soon as you fight back and suggest that they might have some contradictions to think about themselves they get all offended as if their noses have been put out of joint? I've come to the conclusion that some (not all) can dish it out but as soon as it gets rough they can't take it. Has this been your experience?
    What I've noticed is your consistent failure to understand the basic principle of compatibilism in any of the dozen or so threads you've started about free will.

Given this - and given your tendency to lapse into a wholly unjustified arrogance of tone - it's no surprise if one or two people have got slightly irritated.

As I've said, it's like being stuck in the first five minutes of a philosophy lecture on free will while the dumb kid at the back keeps asking the same stupid question.
  3. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 10:46
    Yes
  4. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 11:48
    Originally posted by rwingett
    No, that has not been my experience at all. My experience tells me that atheists are very nice and agreeable people, while christians are dumb and nasty. And they smell bad, too.
    I wasn't asking you.
  5. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 11:54
    Originally posted by dottewell
    What I've noticed is your consistent failure to understand the basic principle of compatibilism in any of the dozen or so threads you've started about free will.

Given this - and given your tendency to lapse into a wholly unjustified arrogance of tone - it's no surprise if one or two people have got slightly irritated.

As I've said, it's like being s ...[text shortened]... lecture on free will while the dumb kid at the back keeps asking the same stupid question.
    There's a difference between not understanding something and finding it incoherent. I understand that you find my belief system incoherent , I can live with it , I expect it. You seem idignant that I find compatabilism like trying to mix oil and water , instead you think that I haven't grasped what compatabilism is . I have grasped it , I just think it's silly. I think you don't even understand what your own view implies , that's why I reflect back to you what I think the logical implications of your view are. You then think that I haven't grasped your view because you don't recognise what I am reflecting back to you.
  6. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 11:54
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Are you able to give any examples because I have not noticed any atheists getting offended or getting their noses out of joint? At least not from genuine suggestions that they might have contradictions.
    Occasionally we might get upset (offended isn't the right word) whey Christians (creationists especially) repeatedly try to intentionally mis-characteriz ...[text shortened]... explain to him why it is so he will continue to repeat it over and over in multiple threads.
    You are right I might be mind reading as well
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 11:57
    Perhaps you should just forgive them, instead of being an ass about it...
  8. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 12:01
    There's a difference between not understanding something and finding it incoherent. I understand that you find my belief system incoherent , I can live with it , I expect it. You seem idignant that I find compatabilism like trying to mix oil and water , instead you think that I haven't grasped what compatabilism is . I have grasped it , I just think it ...[text shortened]... I haven't grasped your view because you don't recognise what I am reflecting back to you.
    You posted this yesterday:

"What you both miss is that despite the fact that compatabilism does not imply hard determinism , the only thing that prevents it from being hard determinism is random indeterminacy."

This is simply a basic misunderstanding of what compatibilism is. And it's one you've been repeating for weeks.
  9. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 15:401 edit
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    the atheists try to make this image of themselves that they have a higher intelligence than theists,
    I think theists do that job for us.
  10. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 16:44
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Why? 🙂
    Kelly
    Are you asking why should we be tolerant?

Why should we be anything but tolerant?
  11. Standard memberblakbuzzrd
    Buzzardus Maximus
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 16:53
    Originally posted by wittywonka

Come on, wittywonka, give the kid a break.

Let's remember that each Christian plays a different role within the body of Christ. Nemesio, for example, I would say is probably an eye, or part of the brain. You might consider yourself a finger or toe in that body. Jaywill is lint in the belly button, or maybe a wad of earwax.

And KellyJay is most likely the south end of the northbound body of Christ.

And that's okay, man. We all have our part to play.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 17:23
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    No. I just know when to say "current modes of investigation don't allow us to know that".

Sure, there may be a "god", although I don't see the need for one. If there is though, he's just not the God you think he is.
    LOL, I don't know if there is or isn't, all I know is your wrong, cool. 🙂
    Kelly
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 17:262 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Why do creationists keep trying to make out that scientific theories are atheistic in nature? The vast majority of Christians in the world today accept both evolution and the big bang theory as fact (or are simply not educated enough to know what they are). Many, probably even the majority of scientists are Christian or at least theist.
    Lets see, God is not required to make the universe as if an atheist
    knew what was required to make a universe. Seems like that is a
    strong belief, as strong as mine with regard to God did it.
    Kelly
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 17:29
    Originally posted by wittywonka

I'm asking why, yes! If the rules are made up as we go to suit us why
    should anyone do what you think is best?
    Kelly
  15. Australia
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 01:30
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Lets see, God is not required to make the universe as if an atheist
    knew what was required to make a universe. Seems like that is a
    strong belief, as strong as mine with regard to God did it.
    Kelly
    😴😴😴😴

Fishing again to blurt your “science is faith” crap?

How long are you going to repeat this rubbish? Belief from a scientist’s point of view is based on statistical significance / evidence / reasoning / repetition / testable predictions. Whereas belief in an imaginary friend, a.k.a "god”, requires faith with absolutely none of the above.

It is not comparable.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree