Truth- Absolute or Relative?

Truth- Absolute or Relative?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
05 Sep 19

@philokalia said
I don't really get it.
Exactly.

F

Moves
05 Sep 19

@philokalia said
OK, well, I am sure there are people who are obtuse like that, FMF.
You are one of them.

S. Korea

Moves
06 Sep 19

Why do you think this content is hard to understand and that I MUST have read everything that KJ ad others have said to participate?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
06 Sep 19

@philokalia said
Why do you think this content is hard to understand and that I MUST have read everything that KJ ad others have said to participate?
It isn't that hard to understand, its only hard to defend the idea there are no absolute truths, when things like truth cannot be denied without contradiction.

F

Moves
06 Sep 19

@kellyjay said
It isn't that hard to understand, its only hard to defend the idea there are no absolute truths, when things like truth cannot be denied without contradiction.
And yet you have sidestepped and ignored every single one of my observations, comments and questions on this thread. It is your utterly subjective assertions about your own opinions amounting to "objective" and "absolute" truths that you are seemingly unable to "defend".

F

Moves
06 Sep 19

@philokalia said
Because you have chosen to be obtuse and rather pompous rather than engage the topic and the conversation. Your attempts at some tangent you think is "complex" and "deep" just come across as off-target winging-it waffle. You called out KellyJay's take on this subject as "obtuse" but you are being "obtuse" as well. Go and start your thread about how you think Buddhists do whatever it is you seem to think they do.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
07 Sep 19

Does what I want to be true, true only because I want it to be, or just because it is?

F

Moves
07 Sep 19

@kellyjay said
Does what I want to be true, true only because I want it to be, or just because it is?
I have no doubt that you very sincerely want your personal opinions about "unknowable" things ~ connected to spiritual matters and supernatural causality ~ to be absolutely true and absolutely true for everyone around you.

Moves
07 Sep 19
1 edit

@fmf said
Where you think the goalposts should be and whatever framework you have chosen or have been raised to believe in, these are matters for your subjective opinion and speculation.

You can talk about how your conjecture and belief in supernatural things are "objective" till the cows come home, it doesn't make a difference. They are just your personal opinions.
I presumably have the personal subjective opinion that God exists. This opinion of mine is either true or false. That is the undeniable nature of truth.

You can talk about how my conjecture and belief in supernatural things are "relative " till the cows come home, it doesn't make a difference to the fact that they are either true or false. One day we will all know the truth.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
07 Sep 19

@dj2becker said
One day we will all know the truth.
This may we’ll be an absolute truth but currently it is not an objective truth, it is subjective opinion.

If there is no God as you believe a God to be, or there is a different god but no afterlife, then we will all never know.

F

Moves
07 Sep 19

@dj2becker said
You can talk about how my conjecture and belief in supernatural things are "relative " till the cows come home, it doesn't make a difference to the fact that they are either true or false. One day we will all know the truth.
Your conjecture and belief regarding supernatural things are subjective, not objective. I repeat: your viewpoints about these things are subjective and not objective. Your personal opinion that "one day we will all know the truth" is entirely subjective.

F

Moves
07 Sep 19

@dj2becker said
I presumably have the personal subjective opinion that God exists. This opinion of mine is either true or false. That is the undeniable nature of truth.
Your opinion that the assertion "God exists" is "true" is your personal subjective opinion.

F

Moves
07 Sep 19

All you are doing, dj2becker, is suggesting that you are sure your religious beliefs are true. You aren't saying anything "objective".

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
07 Sep 19
2 edits

@dj2becker said

When people speak up but they are only telling you what they think, or what you think they are not making truth claims, they are only talking about their ideas and what they think your ideas are. Truth is something we have to agree with, it isn't a frame of mind, what is true for you is going to be true for everyone else, truth isn't an opinion, opinions are opinions. When science looks at reality they want their understanding to as close to the truth as it can be, and when they see they missed something they have to alter their views, if they have stumbled upon truth it can only be confirmed. It would be possible to see truth and screw it up by applying our opinions to it that claim it to be something other than what it really is.

Truth is true no matter what we think about it.

F

Moves
07 Sep 19

@kellyjay said
When people speak up but they are only telling you what they think, or what you think they are not making truth claims, they are only talking about their ideas and what they think your ideas are.
You are only telling people here what you think and what you think of what other people think. That's what a forum like this is for. You are sharing your perspective on spiritual "truths". That's all. No amount of puffing up your own personal opinions about supernatural things - "absolute" this, "objective" that - can change that.