Truth- Absolute or Relative?

Truth- Absolute or Relative?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
03 Sep 19

@fmf said
Aristotle's was entitled to his personal opinion.
His opinion was either aligned with a true reflection of reality or it wasn’t. The fact that it is his personal subjective view doesn’t change that.

F

Moves
03 Sep 19

@dj2becker said
His opinion was either aligned with a true reflection of reality or it wasn’t. The fact that it is his personal subjective view doesn’t change that.
We both have our personal subjective views on what "reality" is when it comes to spiritual and supernatural things.

Your 'when-opinions-are-aligned-with-reality' riff is a dud as far as I am concerned.

You should perhaps, instead, keep saying it over and over again to someone who is taken in by your need to commandeer all manner of adjectives in order to aggrandize your personal opinions about things that are impervious to the sort of empirical scrutiny that something like gravity can withstand.

Moves
03 Sep 19

@dj2becker said
What specific element of “reality” are you talking about?

S. Korea

Moves
03 Sep 19

@fmf said
if person A believes that God exists and person B believes God doesn’t exist

Both person A's belief/opinion [that God exists] and person B's belief/opinion [that God doesn't exist] are subjective.
Yet one is right, and the other is wrong.

And the ultimate reality is the objective, absolute truth.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
03 Sep 19

@philokalia said

People have reduced right and wrong down to personal opinions. What a dangerous place to be, now the justification for anything rests only with the one thinking about what they want and what they are willing to do to get it.

F

Moves
03 Sep 19

@philokalia said
What you and I believe [variously] with regard to what the "ultimate reality" might be, in terms of spiritual and supernatural matters, is purely subjective and this is unaffected by either of us declaring our point of view to be "objective" or "absolute truth".

F

Moves
03 Sep 19

@kellyjay said
People have reduced right and wrong down to personal opinions. What a dangerous place to be, now the justification for anything rests only with the one thinking about what they want and what they are willing to do to get it.
Your moral compass guides as you seek to decide what your opinion is regarding an issue of right or wrong. Same for me. Same for everyone.

F

Moves
03 Sep 19
1 edit

@philokalia said
You are entitled to your personal opinion about who you think is right and who you think is wrong.

Moves
03 Sep 19
1 edit

@divegeester said
What specific element of “reality” are you talking about?
Do you believe the deity of Christ for example is the ultimate reality and that every knee shall in fact bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is Lord? Or is it simply a subjective opinion you happen to have that only applies to people that happen to believe it ?

Moves
03 Sep 19
1 edit

@fmf said
What you and I believe [variously] with regard to what the "ultimate reality" might be, in terms of spiritual and supernatural matters, is purely subjective and this is unaffected by either of us declaring our point of view to be "objective" or "absolute truth".
The ultimate reality of supernatural and spiritual matters is what it is. Your opinions could either to aligned with this reality or not. Obviously someone could believe that their opinion is aligned with reality and it isn’t in fact so.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
03 Sep 19

@dj2becker said
The ultimate reality of supernatural and spiritual matters is what it is. Your opinions could either to aligned with this reality or not. Obviously someone could believe that their opinion is aligned with reality and it isn’t in fact so.
We could draw a line with law and absolute truth, where someone could by their will break the law or obey it. Having the choice doesn’t do away with the law.

F

Moves
03 Sep 19

F

Moves
03 Sep 19

F

Moves
03 Sep 19

@dj2becker said
You are entitled to your subjective personal opinion about what "the ultimate reality of supernatural and spiritual matters" is.

And you are entitled to your subjective personal opinion about whether my belief aligns with "the ultimate reality of supernatural and spiritual matters".

There is no way you can be objective about either of these two things. The same goes for me when I consider your personal opinions regarding these matters.

F

Moves
03 Sep 19

@kellyjay said
We could draw a line with law and absolute truth, where someone could by their will break the law or obey it. Having the choice doesn’t do away with the law.
Both you and I can, without any difficulty, make objective statements about what the laws are where we live.

We have the death penalty where I live, for example. There is no death penalty in the country where I was born. Christians believe there is such a thing as "sin". People who don't believe in god or gods don't believe there are divine laws. And so on.

You and I have our subjective opinions about whether homosexuality is immoral but we can make objective statements about whether or not the laws in Britain and Iran make homosexuality legal or illegal.