1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    22 Apr '08 18:44
    If you can only gain entry to heaven by being a follower of Christ, doesn't this mean that countless thousands of generations who lived before never got the opportunity to go to heaven? What happened to all those souls? Did they all go to hell or just disappear?
  2. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '08 18:46
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    If you can only gain entry to heaven by being a follower of Christ, doesn't this mean that countless thousands of generations who lived before never got the opportunity to go to heaven? What happened to all those souls? Did they all go to hell or just disappear?
    I actually stumbled upon a religious radio talk show once and someone asked exactly that question.

The response the host gave was that they were in a purgatory or waiting area of sorts and when christ came along they all had the choice of believing or not believing and if they believed then they got a gold star and if they didn't then they went to torment in hell.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Apr '08 20:41
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    I actually stumbled upon a religious radio talk show once and someone asked exactly that question.

The response the host gave was that they were in a purgatory or waiting area of sorts and when christ came along they all had the choice of believing or not believing and if they believed then they got a gold star and if they didn't then they went to torment in hell.
    You see, god spoke to them and them alone and we now know the ways of the lord. We are SO lucky to have such a thoughtful god.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Apr '08 07:41
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You see, god spoke to them and them alone and we now know the ways of the lord. We are SO lucky to have such a thoughtful god.
    He never said God spoke to them. They were just sitting there in purgatory, and the whisper was passed round that someone called Jesus existed and you could either believe or not believe in him.
    Of course to make it truly fair to those of us on earth, some never even got to hear the whisper.
  5. England
    Moves
    23 Apr '08 09:49
    before jesus they foretold of his coming to save the world, and his authority to forgive, at the day of atonement so they will be saved or condemmed by thier life as they knew. Remember Mosses was taken into heaven by the arcangel. To help also with the question, he said them who do my work will be saved not them who pay lip service to his work.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Apr '08 10:08
    Originally posted by stoker
    before jesus they foretold of his coming to save the world, and his authority to forgive, at the day of atonement so they will be saved or condemmed by thier life as they knew. Remember Mosses was taken into heaven by the arcangel. To help also with the question, he said them who do my work will be saved not them who pay lip service to his work.
    Then Paul came along and changed the rules.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '08 10:12
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn

"they were in a purgatory or waiting area of sorts"
    Is this some kind of truth, or is it made up to fit some pope?
    Please give me a passage from the bible that confirms this.
  8. England
    Moves
    23 Apr '08 10:22
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Then Paul came along and changed the rules.
    jesus called paul to spread the teachings to the gentiles, and left some things for us to understand, but if you read paul what rules are you questioning
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Apr '08 10:32
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    [b]"they were in a purgatory or waiting area of sorts"
    Is this some kind of truth, or is it made up to fit some pope?
    Please give me a passage from the bible that confirms this.[/b]
    Is something false and made up if is not in the Bible?
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Apr '08 10:33
    Originally posted by stoker
    jesus called paul to spread the teachings to the gentiles, and left some things for us to understand, but if you read paul what rules are you questioning
    Jesus made it quite clear with the parable of the Sheep and the Goats that entry to heaven was based on helping your fellow man. Paul changed the requirements to belief in Jesus.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '08 10:51
    Is something false and made up if is not in the Bible?
    Well, if the fact is not found and supported by the bible, then it is a construction of some man and not the word of god.
    So who invented the concept of the pre-christ purgatory?
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '08 13:57
    What about jews? Are they going to heaven or hell after they're dead?
  13. England
    Moves
    23 Apr '08 14:01
    Jesus made it quite clear with the parable of the Sheep and the Goats that entry to heaven was based on helping your fellow man. Paul changed the requirements to belief in Jesus.
    the sheep and the goat refers to jesus seperating them forgiven and them the devil takes. Paul teached the truth is thro jesus as a forgiving god who has the power to forgive, belief in jesus and his teachings then your sins will be forgiven, but do not say i belive but do the work as he did after his convertion.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Apr '08 14:12
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Well, if the fact is not found and supported by the bible, then it is a construction of some man and not the word of god.
    So who invented the concept of the pre-christ purgatory?
    So you are claiming that the only information we have about anything supernatural must come from the Bible? Anything the prophets or Jesus said that did not get written down in the Bible was invented hogwash?
  15. the highway to hell
    Moves
    23 Apr '08 14:14
    obviously its not true.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree