1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 May '08 10:13
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Whoever claims that nothing exists unless it is in the Bible is brainwashed. I am not in the Bible, nor is Zambia, do we not exist?

I am sure that there were plenty of scholars on the subject of purgatory through most of the history of the Catholic Church who believed it existed. Your declaration that they were not scholars does not make it so.
    From where did the chatolic church got the idea of a purgatory?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 May '08 11:04
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    From where did the chatolic church got the idea of a purgatory?
    I do not know, but from what Wikipedia says about it I would guess that it could have come from the Jewish concept of Gehenna or it was made up by the early Catholic Church to deal with the problems surrounding early death in Christianity or it may have come from other pagan beliefs.
    Of course if you are a Christian there is always the possibility that knowledge of it came via divine inspiration. But oddly Christians don't like divine inspiration unless it comes to them personally or to a writer of the Bible.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 May '08 11:091 edit
    I do not know, but from what Wikipedia says about it I would guess that it could have come from the Jewish concept of Gehenna or it was made up by the early Catholic Church to deal with the problems surrounding early death in Christianity or it may have come from other pagan beliefs.
    Of course if you are a Christian there is always the possibility that k ...[text shortened]... s don't like divine inspiration unless it comes to them personally or to a writer of the Bible.
    My feelings are that if the church (from any relgion) encounter a problem, they tend to make up a solution as some kind of a fix. Then they call it divine inspiration but it's just a 'clever' solution.

Another example for this kind is the 'limbo' concept.

Why invent things? Why pretend they know so much about god so they even share thoughts with god without god even have to say something...? Why not just admit that god does things that cannot be explained?
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 May '08 11:39
    My feelings are that if the church (from any relgion) encounter a problem, they tend to make up a solution as some kind of a fix. Then they call it divine inspiration but it's just a 'clever' solution.
    It is not that simple. Many people do honestly believe that God has spoken to them. Also if you take a concept that the Jews already have and decide that it must be so, then that is not really making up something.

Why not just admit that god does things that cannot be explained?
    Because that leads to many theological problems. The biggest one of which is "Can God be trusted".
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 May '08 11:591 edit
    It is not that simple. Many people do honestly believe that God has spoken to them. Also if you take a concept that the Jews already have and decide that it must be so, then that is not really making up something.

[b]Why not just admit that god does things that cannot be explained?

Because that leads to many theological problems. The biggest one of which is "Can God be trusted".[/b]
    Me myself believed strongly in the existance of Santa Claus (or rather the Swedish variant of the same) when I was a little boy. Why? My parents told me so. I believed them.

A lot of people believe in a strange guy they call god. Why? Their priest told them so. They believed him.

Now I don't believe in Santa. I am older and have my ability to think for myself.

In one case honest belief is quite cute. In other case it is dead serious and should be treated with respect.

Can we trust god? Can we trust Santa?
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 May '08 13:28
    Me myself believed strongly in the existance of Santa Claus (or rather the Swedish variant of the same) when I was a little boy. Why? My parents told me so. I believed them.

A lot of people believe in a strange guy they call god. Why? Their priest told them so. They believed him.
    That is not true at all. People do not have a priest until they believe in God. Most people believe in God because their parents tell them to. A few others believe in God because society in general does or someone they respect does.

Now I don't believe in Santa. I am older and have my ability to think for myself.
    Do you still believe in God? If so, then what happened to thinking for yourself?

In one case honest belief is quite cute. In other case it is dead serious and should be treated with respect.
    Why? What is the difference? Why should either be treated with respect?

Can we trust god? Can we trust Santa?
    No. No.
    Trusting figments of the imagination is inadvisable.
  7. the highway to hell
    Moves
    06 May '08 13:38
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    If you can only gain entry to heaven by being a follower of Christ, doesn't this mean that countless thousands of generations who lived before never got the opportunity to go to heaven? What happened to all those souls? Did they all go to hell or just disappear?
    you've heard of recycling?
  8. the highway to hell
    Moves
    06 May '08 13:40
    That is not true at all. People do not have a priest until they believe in God. Most people believe in God because their parents tell them to. A few others believe in God because society in general does or someone they respect does.

[b]Now I don't believe in Santa. I am older and have my ability to think for myself.

Do you still believe in God? If ...[text shortened]... ust god? Can we trust Santa?[/b]
    No. No.
    Trusting figments of the imagination is inadvisable.[/b]
    dont forget "santa" can be re-ordered to say "satan" whereas
    "god" only gives us "dog" 😲
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 May '08 14:01

[b]Now I don't believe in Santa. I am older and have my ability to think for myself.

Do you still believe in God? If ...[text shortened]... ust god? Can we trust Santa?[/b]
    No. No.
    Trusting figments of the imagination is inadvisable.[/b]
    Exactly, you have understood my posting perfectly!
  10. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    06 May '08 14:42
    Originally posted by theprotectors
    Good points.
    But I know you missed on one question because you didnt understand the question so I will refrace that on for you.
    Why should the jews belive in jesus who was one of their own was my mening to say.

And by the way Thank you for your patiance.
    Why should the jews belive in jesus who was one of their own was my mening to say.

I don't know. I don't think the Jews should believe in Jesus. Heck, I don't really think anyone should necessarily.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding or misunderstanding the question though.
  11. weedhopper
    Moves
    08 May '08 16:09
    Whoever claims that nothing exists unless it is in the Bible is brainwashed. I am not in the Bible, nor is Zambia, do we not exist?

I am sure that there were plenty of scholars on the subject of purgatory through most of the history of the Catholic Church who believed it existed. Your declaration that they were not scholars does not make it so.
    Purgatory is a significant theological concept; you and Zambia are not. If there was a purgatory, the Bible would say so. However it's quite clear: we have one life, and one death--then the judgement. No second chances or penalty boxes. Purg was just made up by the Catholic church for reasons of its own having naught to do with salvation of the soul.
    Heck, EVERYbidy knows THAT! 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree