1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Oct '14 02:191 edit
    Weapons of Negative Volition?

Ever notice how negative volition tends to detest biblical simplicity and dismiss it as superficiality? Why does it complicate discussion of life and death issues? Is there more room for self importance when discussions are out of focus or easier to appear smarter than you are when topics are confused? Are deflection and distortion, disruptive filtering through ideological lenses, misquotation and personal attack among its online forum weapons repertoire? Why doesn't it simply say: "On the basis of empiricism and/or rationalism, God doesn't exist. Faith in Christ? No. There's no such place as eternity"? Thoughts?
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    20 Oct '14 02:52
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Weapons of Negative Volition?

Ever notice how negative volition tends to detest biblical simplicity and dismiss it as superficiality? Why does it complicate discussion of life and death issues? Is there more room for self importance when discussions are out of focus or easier to appear smarter than you are when topics are confused? Are ...[text shortened]... tionalism, God doesn't exist. Faith in Christ? No. There's no such place as eternity"? Thoughts?[/b]
    Who is claiming that the Bible is either simple or superficial?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Oct '14 02:57
    Are deflection and distortion, disruptive filtering through ideological lenses, misquotation and personal attack among its online forum weapons repertoire?
    Are you inclined to criticize your fellow Christians for this kind of thing too?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Oct '14 03:52

Ever notice how negative volition tends to detest biblical simplicity and dismiss it as superficiality? Why does it complicate discussion of life and death issues? Is there more room for self importance when discussions are out of focus or easier to appear smarter than you are when topics are confused? Are ...[text shortened]... tionalism, God doesn't exist. Faith in Christ? No. There's no such place as eternity"? Thoughts?[/b]
    Two questions:

Are you referring to atheists or fellow Christians?

Is this a hypothetical premise, or are you seeking to discuss a specific example?
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Oct '14 04:52
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Who is claiming that the Bible is either simple or superficial?
    DeepThought, I'm well aware of your own declared position as an agnostic: neither believing that God does exist nor that He doesn't exist which suggests you're still open minded and searching for absolute truth. Your objectivity on this forum and on the Science Forum has earned my respect. You're obviously well read and contribute thoughtful replies and threads. Thanks for christening this one. The OP topic is volition [the decider of our immaterial beings/souls]; in context, "negative volition" rather than the identities of site members or contributors to this forum per se. It contains six questions without a declarative statement because its purpose is to stimulate discussion which results in an understanding of the online behaviours used to defensively and offensively say "no". "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your household [if they also believe]." Acts 16:31 delivers the essence of Christianity without any hand around the elbow folderol or equivocation. In this single straightforward sentence Sovereign God offers an individualized grace gift of salvation, personal relationship with Him in time and eternity: Is negative volition apt to say, "No thanks" or engage in criticizing it as too simple and superficial?
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Oct '14 12:261 edit

If you don't want to be superficially dismissed, you might want to cut down on the waffle and try speaking in plain English.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Oct '14 12:35
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    If you don't want to be superficially dismissed, you might want to cut down on the waffle and try speaking in plain English.
    I was trying to get some clarification also but it appears Grampy Bobby is ignoring me; I'm beginning to wonder if my challenges to some of the Christians and religionists here will cause me to be treated as a sort of theistic pariah.
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    20 Oct '14 13:06
    I always wonder if the fact that English is not my first language is the main reason why I don't understand most of what he writes, but I don't think it is.

i suppose it would be okay if his posts read nicely, like a poem or short story or something. But they don't. It's meaningless word vomit.
  9. Joined
    13 Apr '11
    Moves
    20 Oct '14 15:462 edits
    Weapons of Negative Volition?

Ever notice how negative volition tends to detest biblical simplicity and dismiss it as superficiality? Why does it complicate discussion of life and death issues? Is there more room for self importance when discussions are out of focus or easier to appear smarter than you are when topics are confused? Are def ...[text shortened]... r rationalism, God doesn't exist. Faith in Christ? No. There's no such place as eternity"? Thoughts?
    The phrase "negative volition" means an act of self-determination that is negative (or bad). This phrase in and of itself is a superficial dismissal of your opponent's position. It is a pejorative weapon that you are using to attack those who disagree with you. Merely using the term "negative volition" makes you guilty of the very things your post claims to be criticizing.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Oct '14 16:421 edit
    Originally posted by PatNovak
    The phrase "negative volition" means an act of self-determination that is negative (or bad). This phrase in and of itself is a superficial dismissal of your opponent's position. It is a pejorative weapon that you are using to attack those who disagree with you. Merely using the term "negative volition" makes you guilty of the very things your post claims to be criticizing.
    This is how I intrepted the post but was trying to use my "positive volition".

Of course one should be aware that Grampy Bobby has recently exclaimed that he would "rather die than misrepresent biblical scripture". I guess we are to therefore presume that every time he speaks of Biblical scripture he is coming from the pinhole perspective of being 100% correct; and therefore anyone who disagrees with him is not only incorrect but also using "negative volition".
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Oct '14 16:50
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Two questions:

Are you referring to atheists or fellow Christians?

Is this a hypothetical premise, or are you seeking to discuss a specific example?
    dive, it was midnight here last night when I replied to DeepThought. Though too fatigued by then to reply I did appreciate your precise questions. 1) "Are you referring to atheists or fellow Christians?" Since both groups of people possess volition which functions to say both "yes" and "no", the OP refers to both groups as well as to yours truly. Believers in Christ are capable of exhibiting negative volition to portions of the Word of God they doubt, dispute or dislike just as unbelievers are capable of doing with the gospel [good news of salvation by grace]. 2) "Is this a hypothetical premise, or are you seeking to discuss a specific example?" Hardly hypothetical; it's as literal as any empirical online phenomena on this spirituality forum. As stated in my reply to DT: "It [the OP] contains six questions without a declarative statement because its purpose is to stimulate discussion which results in an understanding of the online behaviours used to defensively and offensively say "no".
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Oct '14 16:53
    Originally posted by FMF
    Are you inclined to criticize your fellow Christians for this kind of thing too?
    If random, I figure someone's having a bad day; if persistent I take note but leave any criticism/judgment in God's hands.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Oct '14 16:53
    Thanks for the advice, twhitehead.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Oct '14 16:55
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    I always wonder if the fact that English is not my first language is the main reason why I don't understand most of what he writes, but I don't think it is.

i suppose it would be okay if his posts read nicely, like a poem or short story or something. But they don't. It's meaningless word vomit.
    "word vomit": great descriptive metaphorical phrase, GKR. Any more?
  15. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    20 Oct '14 16:59

"There's no such place as eternity"

Sorry, is that an example of a simple statement?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree