1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 17:46
    Originally posted by sonship
    [b] God cannot be defended for the flood of Noah, which killed children.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just out of curiosity - How do you know that children WERE killed ?
    I'm not insisting none were. I am simply asking how you know children were drowned?

God cannot be defended for the kil ...[text shortened]... e then Americans wrong to celebrate it ?
    Not quite the slam-dunk you thought it would be, huh?

God hardened the heart of Pharoah, to make sure the 10th plague would happen.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is indeed a controversial matter. The Bible says both - that Phariah hardened his heart and that God hardened his heart.
    The Bible does not just say it was done by God. It says Pharoah hardened, it says God hardened.

But I have no easy explanation to this age old controversy. It has never been so problematic as to cause me to not read the rest of the Bible.

Have you tried this?
    Metonymy is integrally involved in understanding many of the verses that seem to make God the direct and active cause of negative circumstances. Metonymy has many forms, and the biblical examples that concern us here are those related to the concepts of cause and effect, permission and prophecy. In the Old Testament, God often revealed Himself as the author of both good and evil. Thus “God” is often put by Metonymy as the cause of events that were actually engineered by the Devil.

To get a better understanding of the complexities of cause and effect, let us consider the case of Mr. Smith, who gets drunk at a party one night and then heads for home in his car, driving well above the posted speed limit on a two-lane highway. An oncoming car makes a left turn in front of him, but Mr. Smith’s impaired perception causes him to misjudge the distance and swerve to avoid the other car. He loses control of his car, hits a concrete bridge abutment and is killed.

A policeman arriving at the scene might say that excessive alcohol was the cause of Mr. Smith’s death. Mr. Smith’s family might say the driver of the other car was the cause. The coroner’s report would probably conclude that he died because he flew through the windshield and his head hit the concrete abutment.

In a sense, each of the statements is valid, although the coroner’s report seems to most accurately reflect why Mr. Smith actually died. But did the concrete “kill” Mr. Smith? Not in the active sense in which one person “kills” another. Yet the concrete was the final cause of his death, for if he had driven into a huge pile of mattresses instead of an immovable object, he might have survived. Nevertheless, we understand that the actual cause of his death was something other than the abutment, which did not jump into his path. The actual cause was whatever made him lose control of his car, which in his case was his heavily impaired faculties and judgment.

It has been said that one cannot “break” God’s laws, but only breaks himself against them, because they are “immovable objects.” God has set up the universe to function according to many laws and principles, which He said were “very good” (Gen. 1:31). In reality, physical laws cannot be broken. A farmer who disregards the principles of soil fertility will eventually go broke. The window cleaner with a cavalier attitude toward safety, whose worn-out rope breaks while he is dangling from the roof of a highrise office building, will, because of the law of gravity, be rudely introduced to an unsuspecting pedestrian.

http://www.truthortradition.com/articles/the-figure-of-speech-metonymy-as-used-in-the-bible
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 19:03
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    [quote][b]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is indeed a controversial matter. The Bible says both - that Phariah hardened his heart and that God hardened his heart.
    The Bible does not just say it was done by G ...[text shortened]... ]

http://www.truthortradition.com/articles/the-figure-of-speech-metonymy-as-used-in-the-bible[/b]
    Shocking! People actully read that garbage and conclude that God did not harden Pharoahs heart?

The Bible said God hardened Pharoahs heart. Why do you feel the need to explain ti away?
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 19:38
    [quote][b]

The Bible does not just say it was done by G ...[text shortened]... ]

http://www.truthortradition.com/articles/the-figure-of-speech-metonymy-as-used-in-the-bible[/b]
    Look at what God did, and let there be no mistake God did it. He showed Pharaoh who
    He was up against, that was a kindness and Pharaoh didn't want to accept it, and
    resisted God. The same thing God could have done to another and they would have
    accepted this is God. So if God produces a kindness to you and shows you something
    and you resist it is because you want to, The same things would produce a difference
    different result to those that acknowledge God. In life it is no different God shows us all
    kindness and for some it is a hardening of heart while others turn towards God.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 20:38
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Look at what God did, and let there be no mistake God did it. He showed Pharaoh who
    He was up against, that was a kindness and Pharaoh didn't want to accept it, and
    resisted God. The same thing God could have done to another and they would have
    accepted this is God. So if God produces a kindness to you and shows you something
    and you resist it is becaus ...[text shortened]... od shows us all
    kindness and for some it is a hardening of heart while others turn towards God.
    I'm not sure I am making sense of what you said. Did God harden Pharaoh's heart or not?
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 21:161 edit
    I'm not sure I am making sense of what you said. Did God harden Pharaoh's heart or not?
    Yes, by showing Pharaoh God was real, it forced Pharaoh to react. As God reveals Himself
    to us we will do one of two things with Him, move towards Him or reject Him. Think about
    the story of Lazarus being raised from the dead, did everyone accept God did that, no! What
    they did was plan on not only killing Jesus but Lazarus too.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 22:08
    Yes, by showing Pharaoh God was real, it forced Pharaoh to react. As God reveals Himself
    to us we will do one of two things with Him, move towards Him or reject Him. Think about
    the story of Lazarus being raised from the dead, did everyone accept God did that, no! What
    they did was plan on not only killing Jesus but Lazarus too.
    So God said "Let my people go", then Pharaoh says okay, then God hardens Pharaoh's heart to say no?
    So God is opposing himself, or is he playing a game here?
    Why would God say let my people go, then bypass Pharaoh's free will and hardens Pharaoh's heart to say no?
    This is very illogical to me. It is not what the bible teaches. God is not schizophrenic.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 22:13
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Shocking! People actully read that garbage and conclude that God did not harden Pharoahs heart?

The Bible said God hardened Pharoahs heart. Why do you feel the need to explain ti away?
    Because it is not bible truth. God is ALL light and in Him is NO darkness at all.
    This would put you on the side of the unbelievers who accuse God of genocide.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 22:331 edit
    Because it is not bible truth. God is ALL light and in Him is NO darkness at all.
    This would put you on the side of the unbelievers who accuse God of genocide.
    What does it matter where you put me? Sometimes I wonder if you are really an adult.

You are the kind of Christian that atheists laugh at all the time and with good reason. You foolishly try to make excuses for God and defend God. God does not care for your defense. In fact you are commanded by Christ and the Apostles to walk away from unbelievers and that means stop arguing with them

The flood was an act of genocide. Do you doubt that? God committed genocide. For me that his Gods prerogative as a creator. There is nothing to defend. If people thinks there is something wrong with that then that is their problem.

The Bible said God hardened Phaorahs heart. Nothing you say can change that .. yet you continue to argue the point until nothing but garbage comes out of your mouth.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 22:48
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    What does it matter where you put me? Sometimes I wonder if you are really an adult.

You are the kind of Christian that atheists laugh at all the time and with good reason. You foolishly try to make excuses for God and defend God. God does not care for your defense. In fact you are commanded by Christ and the Apostles to walk away from unbelievers and th ...[text shortened]... e that .. yet you continue to argue the point until nothing but garbage comes out of your mouth.
    I'm sorry, but you're understanding of who God is, along with your understanding of scripture is juvenile. That is what I see from what you write.
    If I agreed with you, I would be no different than an Atheist.
    It is no wonder they ridicule the scriptures.
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 23:08
    I'm sorry, but you're understanding of who God is, along with your understanding of scripture is juvenile. That is what I see from what you write.
    Im pretty sure that any 5 yr old can see that you are attempting like always to change the wording of the Bible to suit your needs. Atheists have been ridiculing God and the scriptures from the beginning. You think you will stop it now?
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 23:26
    People like you need desperately to read the Bible without twisting it. See if you can twist this one :

That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else. I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. (Isa 45:6-7)

God is saying he created evil . he does it all. You constantly talk about Satan doing this that and the other.
  12. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 23:32
    No you miss the point, God appoints the death of everyone, none of us will escape that
    unless God ends death for all or some. So the only end of any life that is not murder are
    the God appointed ones. If God calls you home to Himself it does not devalue you, if God
    calls another home to Himself that also does not devalue that life. If you or I take it upon
    upon ourselves to end another's life by our appointed times not God's that would be
    murder.
    by your argument, murderers, by succeeding in murdering someone, are doing God's work and sending people to him. if God appoints the death of everyone, surely only people who were meant to die are killed. therefore, by your argument, murderers should not be trialed.

let's get back to the mass product recall of the global flood. you are saying that it is not a big deal that god killed all those people because he was calling them back to him?
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 23:38
    So God said "Let my people go", then Pharaoh says okay, then God hardens Pharaoh's heart to say no?
    So God is opposing himself, or is he playing a game here?
    Why would God say let my people go, then bypass Pharaoh's free will and hardens Pharaoh's heart to say no?
    This is very illogical to me. It is not what the bible teaches. God is not schizophrenic.
    It is not illogical dumbo ! There is actually a reason why God hardened Pharoahs heart, and it stated in the Bible:

And the LORD said unto Moses, Go in unto Pharaoh: for I have hardened his heart, and the heart of his servants, that I might shew these my signs before him: And that thou mayest tell in the ears of thy son, and of thy son's son, what things I have wrought in Egypt, and my signs which I have done among them; that ye may know how that I am the LORD.
    (Exo 10:1-2)

Did you figure it out? God hardened Pharoahs heart in order to do something ...
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 23:38
    [b] God cannot be defended for the flood of Noah, which killed children.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just out of curiosity - How do you know that children WERE killed ?
    I'm not insisting none were. I am simply asking how you know children were drowned?

God cannot be defended for the kil ...[text shortened]... e then Americans wrong to celebrate it ?
    Not quite the slam-dunk you thought it would be, huh?
    "Just out of curiosity - How do you know that children WERE killed ? "
    this is just too stupid to consider answering. let's just say we know.

" Remember that Pharaoh instructed his people to murder the firstborn Hebrew boys and let the girls live."
    seems about right. make the killing of children right by killing more children. not pharaoh. not the men who actually carried out the killing.
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '15 23:40
    The threat to the Egyptians that the firstborn were to be killed ALSO was directed towards the Israelites.

Whoever, whether [b] Hebrew OR Egyptian
    , who obeyed Moses' warning about the destroying angel coming through to judge, was spared.

Hebrews who did not believe to practice that evening the Passover with the redemptive blood on the doorpost ...[text shortened]... tance it was an equal opportunity judgment of God. The believing and obedient were passed over.[/b]
    yes, someone tells you to smear blood on your door because god said so. you don't so your firstborn deserves to die?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree