1. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    20 Jun '05 20:02
    Originally posted by David C
    Well, I could begin with the amalgamtion/monomyth proposition, or move on to things like Eusebius' forgery of Josephus. But it's a "faith thing". Heretics like you couldn't possibly understand. ;^P
    Wrong.

You are supposed to reply in the form of a question, silly. Haven't you learned anything? 😛
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Jun '05 20:05
    Given your predilection for horrendous spelling, I can't say I'm surprised that you "spelling it out for me" leaves me entirely unimpressed.

As for your prideful claim that "hundreds of prophecies made by many different people from different countries at different times about one person", it is an utter disappointment. I'm assuming the "one person ...[text shortened]... e "prophecies" are false. Better take another look at Islam or Judaism....time's running out!
    Are you saying that Jesus was never a historical figure?
  3. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    20 Jun '05 20:09
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Good question: How do you know this?😉
    How do you know what is required for a belief to count as knowledge? If I present evidence to you concerning a proposition, what criteria would you use to determine whether the evidence presented is sufficient to establish that I know the proposition in question? After you have answered this question, please ask yourself whether you know that your proposed criteria of knowledge are, in fact, correct. Once you have answered that question, ask yourself whether you think that circular arguments can serve to justify their conclusions. Once you answer that question, you'll realize just how pointless your little excercise in skepticism is.
  4. Standard memberMoldy Crow
    Your Eminence
    Scunthorpe
    Moves
    20 Jun '05 20:11
    What infinite options? Either you have an eternal soul or you don't. Btw: Have you ever heard of near-death experiences?
    Yes . But talking to you I'm starting to believe in "near life" experiences . You almost have one , but not quite . Move towards the light , dj , towards the light . There are loved ones waiting for you on the other side .....the other side of your bedroom door . You really need to get out and get a life , dude .
  5. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    20 Jun '05 20:18
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Wrong.

You are supposed to reply in the form of a question, silly. Haven't you learned anything? 😛
    Will I be forgiven for the transgression?
  6. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    20 Jun '05 20:19
    Are you saying that Jesus was never a historical figure?
    Do you think I'm saying that Jesus was never an historical figure?
  7. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    20 Jun '05 20:19
    Will I be forgiven for the transgression?
    Perhaps?
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    21 Jun '05 09:21
    Originally posted by bbarr
    How do you know what is required for a belief to count as knowledge? If I present evidence to you concerning a proposition, what criteria would you use to determine whether the evidence presented is sufficient to establish that I know the proposition in question? After you have answered this question, please ask yourself whether you know that your proposed c ...[text shortened]... answer that question, you'll realize just how pointless your little excercise in skepticism is.
    So, have you done the same with your sceptisism?
  9. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    21 Jun '05 09:33
    So, have you done the same with your sceptisism?
    I am not a sceptic. You, however, adopt the role of a global sceptic when confronted with those who disagree with you. Instead of asking for evidence, you ask for proof unto certainty. You and your ilk often play this game, apparently reasoning that since opposing viewpoints cannot be proven with absolute certainty, if follows that your viewpoint is on equal justificatory footing. This is where you err.
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    21 Jun '05 09:54
    I am not a sceptic. You, however, adopt the role of a global sceptic when confronted with those who disagree with you. Instead of asking for evidence, you ask for proof unto certainty. You and your ilk often play this game, apparently reasoning that since opposing viewpoints cannot be proven with absolute certainty, if follows that your viewpoint is on equal justificatory footing. This is where you err.
    I am not a sceptic.

Do you believe in God?
  11. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    21 Jun '05 09:59
    [b]I am not a sceptic.

Do you believe in God?[/b]
    How is that relevant to my post? I may disbelieve any number of claims without thereby being a sceptic.
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    21 Jun '05 10:15
    How is that relevant to my post? I may disbelieve any number of claims without thereby being a sceptic.
    You are sceptic of the existance of God, are you not?
  13. Standard memberMoldy Crow
    Your Eminence
    Scunthorpe
    Moves
    21 Jun '05 16:39
    I am a sceptic about the existence of bigfoot , the Loch Ness Monster , and alien abductions . I do not deny the possibilty of such things . I think they are improbable . The evidence for such things neither proves nor disproves whether they exist or not . The evidence allows me to believe in that possibilty that they could be ; but is not compelling enough for me to sell my house , give up my job , and spend my life chasing after them .

The theory of the existence of a god who is just as you describe him has far less evidence to support it than the above mentioned beasties/phenomenoms . So I do not deny it's possibility , but conclude the evidence is insufficient to make it more than slightly probable that you're discription of the god is at all accurate or real . And the evidence is so scarce that I am even less compelled to search for him as I am bigfoot .

If that makes me a sceptic of the existence of god , then I'll plead guilty to the charge .
  14. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    21 Jun '05 17:36
    I am sceptical that God exists, because I think the evidence is sufficient to establish that there is no such creature. My disbelief is based evidence, and not merely on your inability to prove God's existence.
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    21 Jun '05 17:39
    I am sceptical that God exists, because I think the evidence is sufficient to establish that there is no such creature. My disbelief is based evidence, and not merely on your inability to prove God's existence.
    What will you accept as evidence for God's existance?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree