What is a

What is a "Soul"?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
24 Jul 09

Originally posted by twhitehead
It is a complex issue, but we should consider the alternative side of things ie if we are a different person every day, why should we care about what happens to the other new person that gets created tomorrow? Yes I know it is instinctual, but is it logical?
Another way to look at it is clones, if you could be copied exactly, would you care what happened ...[text shortened]... you were given the opportunity to resurrect your former self of 10 years ago - would you care?
Yes it is an interesting issue. I don't have answers either.

I think a parallel set of analogies has been proposed involving accidents with transporter technology from the popular tv sci fi show Star Trek.

Central to the issue for me is that agents are things that it is like something to be. What is it about when I wake up tomorrow that means there is an apparent continuity of identity? I think these are very difficult questions to think about.

d

Moves
24 Jul 09

A good or bad thing for who is the real question. If I am sufficiently modified upon resurrection - or arrival in heaven, them am I still me? Most importantly, do I have any motivation to get that new improved resurrected fellow any benefits? I keep getting told by theists that it is absolutely critical that I must do certain things for the good of my sou ...[text shortened]... to be able to tell me who this sole is and so I don't know if I really care what happens to it.
You are alive because of your soul, you could not think without it or reason, it's eventually going to one of two places, Heaven or Hell, let's all hope it goes to Heaven.

Cape Town

Moves
25 Jul 09

Originally posted by daniel58
You are alive because of your soul, you could not think without it or reason, it's eventually going to one of two places, Heaven or Hell, let's all hope it goes to Heaven.
But why should I hope that it goes to heaven? Whats in it for me? Unless I get a better understanding of what that soul you talk of is, I really can't feel any sympathy for it.

d

Moves
25 Jul 09

But why should I hope that it goes to heaven? Whats in it for me? Unless I get a better understanding of what that soul you talk of is, I really can't feel any sympathy for it.
The only other option is Hell.

Cape Town

Moves
26 Jul 09
1 edit

The only other option is Hell.
I still don't feel any sympathy for it. If I don't know what this 'soul' thing is then I really don't care where it ends up. You can scare it all you like with tales of hells furnaces, but it don't bother me in the slightest.

d

Moves
26 Jul 09

I still don't feel any sympathy for it. If I don't know what this 'soul' thing is then I really don't care where it ends up. You can scare it all you like with tales of hells furnaces, but it don't bother me in the slightest.
IT'S YOU, YOU WILL FEEL THE PAIN, SO WATCH OUT!!!

Cape Town

Moves
27 Jul 09

IT'S YOU, YOU WILL FEEL THE PAIN, SO WATCH OUT!!!
Using all CAPS doesn't make you right. So if my soul is me, then why call it a 'soul'? Why not just call it me? And are you serious that my nerves will still exist in hell? Will my physical body still be there, or will I be given a new set of nerves in order to 'feel the pain'?
And which 'me' will it be anyway? Me aged 5? Me aged 100? Me with amnesia?

d

Moves
27 Jul 09

Using all CAPS doesn't make you right. So if my soul is me, then why call it a 'soul'? Why not just call it me? And are you serious that my nerves will still exist in hell? Will my physical body still be there, or will I be given a new set of nerves in order to 'feel the pain'?
And which 'me' will it be anyway? Me aged 5? Me aged 100? Me with amnesia?
Why do you call your body, your body? Why not just call it you? It's the spiritual part of you, that's the part that God made "in His likeness and image", you will be given back your body at the Last Judgement, probably about the age 30 or so.

EP6
Soul Taker

Tionesta

Moves
28 Jul 09

Anyone using the bible as a reference point cannot be party to an intelligent conversation or discussion.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
28 Jul 09

Originally posted by Evil Pawn 666
Anyone using the bible as a reference point cannot be party to an intelligent conversation or discussion.
OK...What is that supposed to mean?

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
28 Jul 09

Originally posted by galveston75
OK...What is that supposed to mean?
LOL Evil Pawn 666 says it all 🙂- There Galveston.

Manny

Cape Town

Moves
28 Jul 09

Why do you call your body, your body? Why not just call it you? It's the spiritual part of you, that's the part that God made "in His likeness and image", you will be given back your body at the Last Judgement, probably about the age 30 or so.
I don't have a 'spiritual' part.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
28 Jul 09

Dont you? Or is it just a question of semantics?
Please eloborate . I'm genuinely interested on your take on this.

Cape Town

Moves
28 Jul 09

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Dont you? Or is it just a question of semantics?
Please eloborate . I'm genuinely interested on your take on this.
It is probably a question of semantics or merely me not understanding what is meant by 'spiritual'.

d

Moves
28 Jul 09

Yes you do what do you think God ws referring to when He said He made us in His "Likness and Image"? He is not materail, have you noticed what seperates us from animals? It's our reason, which we could not have without a "spiritual Part" of us.