What is a

What is a "Soul"?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
22 Jul 09

Originally posted by twhitehead
If you go to sleep mad, you will probably wake up mad.
If you loose a memory - say you forget what you did on your 2nd birthday - is that a "unhealthy condition"?
What if you loose most of your memories (Alzheimers). Is that an "unhealthy condition"?
You appear to be saying that if you lost your memory at say age 70, then die at age 80, God will restor ...[text shortened]... chizophrenia from the age of 5 and for the rest of his life will he be resurrected aged 5?
I think it would be safe to say the God knows those problems we may have had mentally and physically and would probably correct them. Rev 21:4.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
22 Jul 09

Originally posted by galveston75
I think it would be safe to say the God knows those problems we may have had mentally and physically and would probably correct them. Rev 21:4.
Twihitehead has brought up a dam good point(as usual).
This 'problem' will not be easily dismissed with 'God will correct the problem' without a whole lot of other problems.
I still sway towards your opinion,G75,but some more logistics have to be put down if this one is to get through.
Do you have any other offerings from your precious scriptures?

d

Moves
22 Jul 09

Originally posted by Lord Shark
I asked you "How do you know god made us?" a while ago, but you didn't answer. it was on the creation/evolution thread, I suspect you might have become confused about who had said what.

The same question could apply to a lot of your posts though. You think you know the truth, but I haven't seen any account as to why you think this is so.
If God didn't make us who did?

Moves
22 Jul 09

Originally posted by daniel58
If God didn't make us who did?
Do you always answer a question with a question? 🙂

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
23 Jul 09

Originally posted by menace71

[b]No I think it is irrelevant.

Then why did you raise it? (Pardon the pun.)[/b]
Sorry I felt In a way is does not matter how God does it is all. When we die He will do something with us. That is all I meant by saying it is irrelevant. Some how God will put us all back together LOL Spiritual Body, Glorified body, Whatever it is.

Manny

Cape Town

Moves
23 Jul 09

Originally posted by galveston75
But you do realize that we would hardly then still be ourselves. Do you think he will fix our IQ and lack of belief while he is about it?

My biggest concern though remains the issue of memories. I am not convinced that God will see loss of memory as a mental problem to be fixed, nor do I think he will only restore the memories I actually want back. Do you think he could be extra nice and give me nice memories I never actually had?

Moves
23 Jul 09

Originally posted by menace71
Sorry I felt In a way is does not matter how God does it is all. When we die He will do something with us. That is all I meant by saying it is irrelevant. Some how God will put us all back together LOL Spiritual Body, Glorified body, Whatever it is.
I can see your point, but that's why it is odd that you brought up the subject of cremation. So you brought it up, then when I replied you declared the subject irrelevant. I just thought that a little odd that's all, no biggie.

Moves
23 Jul 09

But you do realize that we would hardly then still be ourselves.
You say that like it's a bad thing 🙂

Do you think he will fix our IQ and lack of belief while he is about it?
Sign me up.

My biggest concern though remains the issue of memories. I am not convinced that God will see loss of memory as a mental problem to be fixed, nor do I think he will only restore the memories I actually want back. Do you think he could be extra nice and give me nice memories I never actually had?
I still don't see why this should be more of a concern than in the soul case. Plus, memory is partly constitutive of identity, so if ourselves as resurrected persons are part of god's plan, then god probably would restore our memory. Finally, in the context of heaven, perhaps the memories that trouble us in this life will not have the same salience or negative emotional impact.

Cape Town

Moves
23 Jul 09

You say that like it's a bad thing 🙂
A good or bad thing for who is the real question. If I am sufficiently modified upon resurrection - or arrival in heaven, them am I still me? Most importantly, do I have any motivation to get that new improved resurrected fellow any benefits? I keep getting told by theists that it is absolutely critical that I must do certain things for the good of my soul but nobody seems to be able to tell me who this sole is and so I don't know if I really care what happens to it.

Moves
23 Jul 09

Well, lets consider an analogy. Suppose you discovered that you had a brain tumour which was operable, but the operation would produce some changes. There would be some memory loss but some enhancement of cognitive function due to the relief of pressure on some brain structures.

Now we can ask your question in this context: why should you bother turning up for the operation?

Cape Town

Moves
24 Jul 09

Well, lets consider an analogy. Suppose you discovered that you had a brain tumour which was operable, but the operation would produce some changes. There would be some memory loss but some enhancement of cognitive function due to the relief of pressure on some brain structures.

Now we can ask your question in this context: why should you bother turning up for the operation?
An excellent analogy, and to be honest, I am not sure if I would show up for the operation. There are a number of movies which have explored various issues surrounding changing personality and multiple personalities, and quite often we see the one personality showing very little interest in the survival or benefit of the other.

Cape Town

Moves
24 Jul 09

I just notice in the "Eternity" thread Thread 116609 jawill says:
"God predestinated the saved to be conformed to the image of Jesus Christ;"

So there will be a heaven full of Jesus'. We wont be there.

Moves
24 Jul 09

I think I would show up for the op. The reason is that although I would be different after the operation, I think it would be me that was different. The entity that emerged from the operation would be the closest known follower of the entity that went under the knife. That is the criterion I would use to establish identity in the context of change over time.

One reason I think these scenarios trouble us is that the change is sudden and discontinuous. This threatens our common sense notions of identity, but consider for example, enrolling on a challenging training course that will qualify you for a job. Now suppose that the job application window is at the beginning of the course. Why bother applying? The person that emerges from a sufficiently rigorous course will not be the same as when they went in. To some extent their brains will be physically different as a result of learning and training.

Now, this scenario doesn't trigger the same kind of Invasion of the Bodysnatchers anxieties that the operation scenario does. But is the fact that the change is gradual in one case and sudden in another, really significant when we analyse things closely?

Moves
24 Jul 09

I just notice in the "Eternity" thread Thread 116609 jawill says:
"God predestinated the saved to be conformed to the image of Jesus Christ;"

So there will be a heaven full of Jesus'. We wont be there.
Darn. Dare I ask where we'll be?

Cape Town

Moves
24 Jul 09

Now, this scenario doesn't trigger the same kind of Invasion of the Bodysnatchers anxieties that the operation scenario does. But is the fact that the change is gradual in one case and sudden in another, really significant when we analyse things closely?
It is a complex issue, but we should consider the alternative side of things ie if we are a different person every day, why should we care about what happens to the other new person that gets created tomorrow? Yes I know it is instinctual, but is it logical?
Another way to look at it is clones, if you could be copied exactly, would you care what happened to your clone? I have found in other threads on the topic that most people don't want to think about it if they can help it. I must confess that I don't have answers but do find it an interesting topic.
Also try this one. Suppose you were going to die today (and become non-existent), and you were given the opportunity to resurrect your former self of 10 years ago - would you care?