1. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 14:40
    Originally posted by sonship
    What is important to God is Christ His Son.

That is not only Christ Himself but Christ wrought and dispensed into man.
    The uniting of divinity with humanity for a oneness of God and man is why He created the universe. And it is also why He did all things including coming to die a redemptive death and rise again and come as Spirit to indwell.

The last ...[text shortened]... into His saved people.

Read more at http://www.godseconomy.org/
    Gibberish.
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 15:10
    If i managed to create new intelligent life, and was in essence a God to the creatures i had created, i wouldn't be obsessed with being worshiped and obeyed. What would be important to me (as their God) would be their happiness and independence. I would though watch over them and would certainly intervene if i saw suffering or injustice.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 15:41
    I imagine that, to Omnipotence/Omniscience/Omnipresence, either nothing whatever is important (excepting Himselfness), or everything is important.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 15:57
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    For those that do not believe in God feel free to give what you think would
    be important if God were real.
    There are two different questions being asked here:

(1) What would God think is important, and
    (2) What should God think is important.

If God is real, number 2 is obvious. But if God is real, number 1 is rather frightening, because God would believe sending "sinners" to suffer the worst form of torture for all eternity is important.
  5. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 16:57
    If God were real, and is to stand in judgement of us, then he should abide by the normal principles of what makes a valid justice system. In any human context, I imagine most theists would agree with the following principles, but where God is concerned they are simply overlooked.

1 The rules we are expected to abide by should be sufficiently clear that the person being judged should be able to understand whether or not they have committed an offence.

Clearly not the case, as the endless debates about abortion, gay rights etc demonstrate.

2 Any punishment should be proportionate to the crime

Clearly not the case. The punishment for minor transgressions appears to be the same as for the most heinous human rights abuses.

3 People should not be punished for what they believe (or don't).

You cannot choose what you believe. Thought crimes are the stuff of the worst excesses of a dystopia.

4 Torturing people as a punishment is unacceptable. Torturing people for all eternity is infinitely unacceptable, illogical and unnecessary.

There are lots of other things I could add to the list. But this is sufficient to demonstrate that either:

1 God is a hopeless communicator; or
    2 God is evil; or
    3 God does not exist.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 17:49
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Thought crimes are the stuff of the worst excesses of a dystopia.
    Although I agree with the rest of your post, this sentence I disagree with and is not supported by what preceded it. There was recently a thread about thought crimes and it was interesting that nobody was willing to actually argue a position against having thought crimes. Thought crimes do even exist in most legal systems today.
  7. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 20:14
    To seek and to save the lost. To call sinners to repent.
  8. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 20:305 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Although I agree with the rest of your post, this sentence I disagree with and is not supported by what preceded it. There was recently a thread about thought crimes and it was interesting that nobody was willing to actually argue a position against having thought crimes. Thought crimes do even exist in most legal systems today.
    I agree. I was trying to express the difference between expressing a belief which could be regarded as a crime (of which there are many examples) and the idea of a God monitoring you 24/7 so that any silent thought can become a crime, rather like the screens in 1984. Hence the reference to dystopia.

But I agree this is just thought crime taken to a more sophisticated and sinister level even than 1984.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 23:59
    Originally posted by moonbus
    I imagine that, to Omnipotence/Omniscience/Omnipresence, either nothing whatever is important (excepting Himselfness), or everything is important.
    You think that God's ways and thoughts would be different than our own and actually be
    better?
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Mar '16 00:03
    Originally posted by vivify

If God is real, number 2 is obvious. But if God is real, number 1 is rather frightening, because God would believe sending "sinners" to suffer the worst form of torture for all eternity is important.
    With one group of people (believers), they are not going to be making it up as they go they
    should be looking at what they know according to their faith. While the second group of
    people who do not believe would be answering as if God were real and applying the
    question to what they think should be important. So I agree your right, but that was why
    I asked what I did.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Mar '16 00:04
    Originally posted by vivify

I would think that if God is real and there is a danger to us it is a danger due to something
    quite real. The results of that danger could be worse than its punishment if the outcome
    were to continue unchecked.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Mar '16 00:11
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    I agree. I was trying to express the difference between expressing a belief which could be regarded as a crime (of which there are many examples) and the idea of a God monitoring you 24/7 so that any silent thought can become a crime, rather like the screens in 1984. Hence the reference to dystopia.

But I agree this is just thought crime taken to a more sophisticated and sinister level even than 1984.
    I think everyone agreed simply having a thought was not a crime, where myself and others
    who agreed that thoughts can be a crime is where the root of actions take hold of the
    one having them. Lusting after another's wife is different than having a thought about
    her. One of the best analogies I heard was about waves coming in on a beach, those
    thoughts are like waves they come and go, we choose which ones we pick to ride our
    suffer boards on.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Mar '16 02:272 edits
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Gibberish.
    Satan's fangs are so deeply sunk into your mind dripping old, old poisonous venom against all that is Divine, that you would call the Bible's truth gibberish.

So King of Rats,

Where did you come from?
    Why are you alive?
    And what is your destiny?
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    10 Mar '16 03:49
    Perhaps a better question (as you want replies from non-believers) is
    "What would be important to a benevolent god?"
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    10 Mar '16 03:53
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Faith. Love. Loyalty. Obedience.

Just off the top of my head, you understand.
    There is no logic in a god placing importance on "faith".
    And an illogical god seems ... well ... illogical!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree