1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Dec '14 11:41
    Originally posted by FMF
    You seem angry with Mr Obama for not going to church.
    It angers me that he claims to be a representative of Jesus on a national stage but does not attempt to walk the walk. Hypocrisy should anger Christians, just as it angered Jesus.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Dec '14 11:42
    Originally posted by sonship
    So this is your "speaking out" and not remaining silent ?

[quote] According to Obama, the reason he does not attend church is that he is too much of a distraction.

Is this the real reason?

Here are some other reasons I can think of.

1. Rev. Wright makes secret house calls.

2. Obama gets bored learning more about himself that he already knows ...[text shortened]...

[b]James 1:20 - "For the wrath of man does not accomplish the righteousness of God."
    [/b]
    I'll tell you what sonship, I will go at this another way minus the mocking humor. I will await your critique on another thread here.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Dec '14 11:44
    Originally posted by whodey
    It angers me that he claims to be a representative of Jesus on a national stage but does not attempt to walk the walk. Hypocrisy should anger Christians, just as it angered Jesus.
    Are all Christians "representatives of Jesus"?
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 Dec '14 16:52
    I would not use the word hate, but I feel the same about him as I do Obama.
    You do realize Obama inherited Bush Jr's war AND insane spending? Do you realize that 700 BILLION Bush Jr. gave away, 1/3 of it ONE THIRD, totally disappeared because there was ZERO oversight on that huge gift? A lot of politicians now have great bank accounts in the Cayman Islands because of it.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Jan '15 03:48
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You do realize Obama inherited Bush Jr's war AND insane spending? Do you realize that 700 BILLION Bush Jr. gave away, 1/3 of it ONE THIRD, totally disappeared because there was ZERO oversight on that huge gift? A lot of politicians now have great bank accounts in the Cayman Islands because of it.
    You mistake me for someone who wishes to defend "W", I don't, but blaming him for all our woes tends to get old after 6 years or so. When will our blaming him end do you reckon, or is there no end?

I picture Obama much like I do "W". To me, there is not much difference between the two other than partisan hack allegiances.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Jan '15 03:49
    Originally posted by FMF
    What do you mean by Christian? For example, Hitler claimed to be a Christian. Should we then include him on the list?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '15 04:49
    What do you mean by Christian? For example, Hitler claimed to be a Christian. Should we then include him on the list?
    The thread is about Mr Obama. You can't, in all seriousness, be comparing Adolf Hitler to President Obama.

If Hitler was a Christian ~ meaning he believed in the things that Christians profess to believe about Jesus, about the Christian God, and in "salvation" through Jesus' sacrifice etc. ~ then presumably he was Christian. Whether, according to Christian theology, he was able to reach "heaven", I do not know. I don't subscribe to the theology, after all. Perhaps he repented and was forgiven.

Maybe Hitler's supposed fate is a case in point for Grampy Bobby's personal theological speculation that he peddles here whereby once one is saved, even after a period of belief in Christ, one is saved and it cannot be undone.

I certainly believe that the Holocaust was something perpetrated in large part by Christians against Jews and was the culmination of 2,000 years of systematic Christian persecution of Jews, and that no amount of No True Scotsman informal fallacies can alter this.
  8. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    01 Jan '15 05:142 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    The thread is about Mr Obama. You can't, in all seriousness, be comparing Adolf Hitler to President Obama.

If Hitler was a Christian ~ meaning he believed in the things that Christians profess to believe about Jesus, about the Christian God, and in "salvation" through Jesus' sacrifice etc. ~ then presumably he was Christian. Whether, according to Christian th ...[text shortened]... n persecution of Jews, and that no amount of No True Scotsman informal fallacies can alter this.

Actually yes, he can. You were the one making the point that we shouldn't distinguish between anyone who calls himself a Christian. If anyone calls themselves a Christian, then according to you they are Christians. So if Obama and Hitler both called themselves Christians then they must both be Christians.

But now it seems you wish to argue against this point.

Originally posted by FMF

He wasn't comparing Obama to Hitler, he was asking if you can compare Obama to Hitler based solely on the criteria of someone claiming to be Christian. You are the one who is essentially claiming that anyone who calls himself a Christian must be a Christian. By the same logic, if you claim to be a duck does this mean you are a duck?

quack quack quack quack quack... can you hear me now?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '15 05:58
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    FMF: The thread is about Mr Obama. You can't, in all seriousness, be comparing Adolf Hitler to President Obama.

Actually yes, he can. You were the one making the point that we shouldn't distinguish between anyone who calls himself a Christian. If anyone calls themselves a Christian, then according to you they are Christians. So if Obama and Hitler both called themselves Christians then they must both be Christians.
    So can all Christians be compared to Adolf Hitler?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '15 06:02
    You are the one who is essentially claiming that anyone who calls himself a Christian must be a Christian.
    In fact, what I said was that someone who believes Christians claims about Jesus and about the Christian God, and who believes in "salvation" through the sacrifice made by Jesus, is a Christian.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '15 06:081 edit
    FMF: The thread is about Mr Obama. You can't, in all seriousness, be comparing Adolf Hitler to President Obama.

Actually yes, he can. [...] But now it seems you wish to argue against this point.
    Not really. This thread is about Mr Obama and it's on the Spirituality Forum. whodey can't, in all seriousness, be comparing the political deeds of Adolf Hitler to those of President Obama, and anyway, even if he is, doesn't it belong on the Debates Forum?
  12. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    01 Jan '15 06:53
    Originally posted by FMF
    In fact, what I said was that someone who believes Christians claims about Jesus and about the Christian God, and who believes in "salvation" through the sacrifice made by Jesus, is a Christian.
    So for you it doesn't matter what anyone actually does, it only matters what they say? Is this your position?
  13. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    01 Jan '15 07:05
    Originally posted by FMF
    Not really. This thread is about Mr Obama and it's on the Spirituality Forum. whodey can't, in all seriousness, be comparing the political deeds of Adolf Hitler to those of President Obama, and anyway, even if he is, doesn't it belong on the Debates Forum?
    whodey can't, in all seriousness, be comparing the political deeds of Adolf Hitler to those of President Obama

He wasn't. whodey was responding to your claim that all it takes for someone to be a Christian is to say he is. He was asking if you believe Hitler was a Christian. But you've already answered that question.
  14. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    01 Jan '15 07:15
    Originally posted by FMF
    Originally posted by FMF

That's like asking if all apples can be compared to oranges...

Yes, all apples can be compared to oranges.

This doesn't mean apples are oranges, it means they can be compared to oranges.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '15 07:38
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]So can all Christians be compared to Adolf Hitler?

That's like asking if all apples can be compared to oranges...

Yes, all apples can be compared to oranges.

This doesn't mean apples are oranges, it means they can be compared to oranges.[/b]
    This just seems evasive on your part.

If Mr Obama can be compared to Adolf Hitler, because both said they were Christians, can all people who say they are Christians therefore be compared to Obama and Hitler?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree