1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '15 07:43
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    FMF: whodey can't, in all seriousness, be comparing the political deeds of Adolf Hitler to those of President Obama.

He wasn't. whodey was responding to your claim that all it takes for someone to be a Christian is to say he is. He was asking if you believe Hitler was a Christian. But you've already answered that question.
    I will correct you once again. What I have said is that what it takes to be a Christian is to believe the Biblical claims about Jesus Christ and about the Christian God, and to believe that one can be "saved" thanks to the sacrifice made by Christ. If this was true for Hitler, then he was a Christian. If it is true for Mr Obama, then he is a Christian. If it is true for whodey and for you, then you are both Christians.
  2. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    01 Jan '15 08:301 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    I will correct you once again. What I have said is that what it takes to be a Christian is to believe the Biblical claims about Jesus Christ and about the Christian God, and to believe that one can be "saved" thanks to the sacrifice made by Christ. If this was true for Hitler, then he was a Christian. If it is true for Mr Obama, then he is a Christian. If it is true for whodey and for you, then you are both Christians.
    It appears you are woefully unaware that true Christianity and antisemitism are incompatible.

If support for Israel can come from predominantly Christian nations, and denial of Israel as a sovereign nation can be traced to antisemitism, then what does that tell you? Can we assume you were antisemitic for nearly 30 years when you were a Christian? The association you make between Christianity and antisemitism isn't just insulting, it's crazy.
  3. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    01 Jan '15 08:40
    Originally posted by FMF
    This just seems evasive on your part.

If Mr Obama can be compared to Adolf Hitler, because both said they were Christians, can all people who say they are Christians therefore be compared to Obama and Hitler?
    This just seems evasive on your part.

I'm aware of your proclivity for misdirection, so I'm correctly defining what it means to compare one thing to another. If I'm evading anything I'm evading being misdirected by you. Do you have a problem with that?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '15 08:41
    It appears you are woefully unaware that true Christianity and antisemitism are incompatible.

If support for Israel can come from predominantly Christian nations, and denial of Israel as a sovereign nation can be traced to antisemitism, then what does that tell you? Can we assume you were antisemitic for nearly 30 years when you were a Ch ...[text shortened]... The association you make between Christianity and antisemitism isn't just insulting, it's crazy.
    No I wasn't anti-semitic, I never have been, and I have not become an anti-semite since I lost my Christian faith. Politically speaking, I am not a Zionist, however. For you to attempt to dismiss the fact that Christians ~ believers in Christ ~ have for two thousand years been front and central in the persecution of Jews, by saying "the association you make between Christianity and anti-semitism isn't just insulting, it's crazy" combines two informal fallacies: an ad hominem (of little consequence to me) and a rather well-thumbed example of 'No True Scotsman'.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '15 08:431 edit
    I'm aware of your proclivity for misdirection, so I'm correctly defining what it means to compare one thing to another. If I'm evading anything I'm evading being misdirected by you. Do you have a problem with that?
    The only 'problem' one might say I have is that you have once again evaded answering the question in hand: If Mr Obama can be compared to Adolf Hitler, because both said they were Christians, can all people who say they are Christians therefore be compared to Obama and Hitler?
  6. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    01 Jan '15 08:571 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    The only 'problem' one might say I have is that you have once again evaded answered the question in hand: If Mr Obama can be compared to Adolf Hitler, because both said they were Christians, can all people who say they are Christians therefore be compared to Obama and Hitler?
    Of course they can be compared, but saying "compared to" is not the same as "equated", and you are clearly attempting to link Christianity to antisemitism with your questions about comparisons. It's odd that you are not able to understand this... or maybe you do, and choose not to acknowledge it.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '15 09:111 edit
    Of course they can be compared, but saying "compared to" is not the same as "equated", and you are clearly attempting to link Christianity to antisemitism with your questions about comparisons. It's odd that you are not able to understand this... or maybe you do, and choose not to acknowledge it.
    Why have you put the word "equated" in quotation marks? I have not used it once on this thread; I have said "comparing" and "compared to" on several occasions. Why have you introduced the word "equated"; who are you attributing it to?

As for your historical literacy and viewpoint pitted against mine, I see there as having been a clear link between Christians and the persecution of Jews and it stretches back for many centuries, and I hardly think saying this is the slightest bit controversial.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    01 Jan '15 10:05

If support for Israel can come from predominantly Christian nations, and denial of Israel as a sovereign nation can be traced to antisemitism, then what does that tell you? Can we assume you were antisemitic for nearly 30 years when you were a Ch ...[text shortened]... The association you make between Christianity and antisemitism isn't just insulting, it's crazy.
    Here's an excerpt from the Wikipedia article on the history of antisemitism:

There was continuing hostility to Judaism from the late Roman period into medieval times. During the Middle Ages in Europe there was a full-scale persecution of Jews in many places, with blood libels, expulsions, forced conversions and killings. In the 12th century, there were Christians who believed that some, or possibly all, of the Jews possessed magical powers and had gained these powers from making a pact with the devil. Judensau images began to appear in Germany.

The persecution of the Jews in Europe reached a climax during the Crusades. At the time of the First Crusade, in 1096, a German Crusade destroyed flourishing Jewish communities on the Rhine and the Danube. In the Second Crusade in 1147, the Jews in France were the victims of frequent killings and atrocities. The Jews were also subjected to attacks during the Shepherds' Crusades of 1251 and 1320. Following these crusades, Jews were subject to expulsions, including, in 1290, the banishing of all English Jews. In 1396, 100,000 Jews were expelled from France and in 1421, thousands were expelled from Austria. Many of those expelled fled to Poland.[40]

As the Black Death plague swept across Europe in the mid-14th century, annihilating more than half of the population, Jews often became the scapegoats. Rumors spread that they had caused this epidemic by deliberately poisoning wells. Hundreds of Jewish communities were destroyed by the ensuing hatred and violence. Pope Clement VI tried to protect Jews by a papal bull dated July 6, 1348, and by an additional bull soon afterwards, but several months later, 900 Jews were burnt alive in Strasbourg, where the plague had not yet affected the city.[41]
  9. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    01 Jan '15 10:17
    Originally posted by FMF
    Why have you put the word "equated" in quotation marks? I have not used it once on this thread; I have said "comparing" and "compared to" on several occasions. Why have you introduced the word "equated"; who are you attributing it to?

As for your historical literacy and viewpoint pitted against mine, I see there as having been a clear link between Christians ...[text shortened]... ches back for many centuries, and I hardly think saying this is the slightest bit controversial.
    You've answered your own question... you equate persecution of Jews to Christianity, so your questions about comparisons comes across as a thinly masked confession of that belief.

Seriously, are you really not aware of how your personal biases clearly show themselves in the questions you ask? Suzi sees it, I see it, whodey sees it...

... you don't see it?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '15 10:27
    ... you equate persecution of Jews to Christianity, so your questions about comparisons comes across as a thinly masked confession of that belief.
    Why not just use my words? Why reword what I say and attack the rewording instead? I have expressed myself clearly. Christians ~ believers in Christ ~ have for two thousand years been front and central in the persecution of Jews.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '15 10:32
    Seriously, are you really not aware of how your personal biases clearly show themselves in the questions you ask? Suzi sees it, I see it, whodey sees it...

... you don't see it?
    You, Suzianne and whodey?

Interesting trio of posters you've picked out there.

Even when I was a Christian, I could clearly see that Christians ~ by which I mean believers in Jesus Christ ~ for two thousand years had been front and centre in the persecution of Jews. I have always thought of it as one of the darkest and most despicable storylines in the history of Christendom. I would venture to suggest that there are plenty of Christians who would agree with me, although not necessarily on this forum.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Jan '15 12:29
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Here's an excerpt from the Wikipedia article on the history of antisemitism:

There was continuing hostility to Judaism from the late Roman period into medieval times. During the Middle Ages in Europe there was a full-scale persecution of Jews in many places, with blood libels, expulsions, forced conversions and killings. In the 12th century, t ...[text shortened]... Jews were burnt alive in Strasbourg, where the plague had not yet affected the city.[41]
    Many blame religion for all the world's woes, but in truth, it simply the statists/collectivists who attach themselves to it in order to unleash their great evils upon society in the name of God. For Christianity, Constantine was the first to do this. Before Constantine, the religion was spread as Christians were being murdered left and right from statists such as Nero.
  13. Germany
    Moves
    01 Jan '15 21:20
    Originally posted by whodey
    Many blame religion for all the world's woes, but in truth, it simply the statists/collectivists who attach themselves to it in order to unleash their great evils upon society in the name of God. For Christianity, Constantine was the first to do this. Before Constantine, the religion was spread as Christians were being murdered left and right from statists such as Nero.
    It appears that antisemitism in mediaeval Europe was not driven solely by rulers, but at least in significant part by popular sentiment. So your "statist" hypothesis appears to be quite poorly founded in real world experience.
  14. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    01 Jan '15 22:49
    If he sets in the back or in the rooms that have the glass windows he would not be a distraction.
  15. St. Peter's
    Moves
    02 Jan '15 02:48
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2014/12/26/obama-doesnt-attend-church-so-as-not-to-distract-others-says-advisor/

According to Obama, the reason he does not attend church is that he is too much of a distraction.

Is this the real reason?

Here are some other reasons I can think of.

1. Rev. Wright makes secret house calls.

2. Obama gets b ...[text shortened]... around the church, none of the money goes to him. The church refuses to pay him his fair share.
    that's a fairly ignorant post

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree