1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    31 Jan '14 00:04
    John 18:37
    Good News Translation (GNT)
    37 So Pilate asked him, “Are you a king, then?”

Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. I was born and came into the world for this one purpose, to speak about the truth. Whoever belongs to the truth listens to me.”

Truth was the one purpose that he came to earth. What is this truth Jesus was speaking of?
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 Jan '14 00:36
    Originally posted by galveston75

Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. I was born and came into the world for this one purpose, to speak about the truth. Whoever belongs to the truth listens to me.”

Truth was the one purpose that he came to earth. What is this truth Jesus was speaking of?
    God. Obviously. More specifically, how to reconcile oneself to God and follow His will. He also said:

"Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me." -- Revelation 3:20, KJV

It is also true that Jesus IS the doorway to God.
    "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." -- John 14:6, KJV
  3. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    31 Jan '14 00:41

who'd a thunk jesus would have such a bad grasp of language and logic.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    31 Jan '14 01:13
    What is this truth Jesus was speaking of?

It includes that God is to be lived.

God is not merely to be just believed in as objectively out there, up there.
    God is not merely above, over, worshipped in an objective way by man below.

But the truth, the reality is that God is meant to be blended with man, live in man, be organically intertwined with man so that man LIVES God. God lives out from man. And man lives in the realm and sphere of God as divine life.

The relationship God ordained in eternity past is therefore that God and man would be mingled in a living union.
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    31 Jan '14 01:33
    So would it be fair to say that anyone who follows Jesus words would have to first learn what this truth is he speaks of and then live by it daily?
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 Jan '14 01:42
    So would it be fair to say that anyone who follows Jesus words would have to first learn what this truth is he speaks of and then live by it daily?
    If you have another shoe to drop, just do it, Gman.

"Lead me not into temptation. I can usually find it just fine all by myself."

It would be more fair to say that anyone who follows Jesus' words is already living by the truth. Problems arise when people don't agree on what these words mean. Discernment is everything.
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    31 Jan '14 01:47
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    If you have another shoe to drop, just do it, Gman.

"Lead me not into temptation. I can usually find it just fine all by myself."

It would be more fair to say that anyone who follows Jesus' words is already living by the truth. Problems arise when people don't agree on what these words mean. Discernment is everything.
    No shoes here, just a discussion. But many will say they are following Jesus but yet he will deny them. Why? Did they really understand and accept what the truth is that Jesus was speaking of and all it emplys?
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Jan '14 01:492 edits

"Truth" are the words that Jesus spoke while he walked the Earth. Those who keep His word will be made free from the slavery of committing sin and will never see death.

John 8
    31So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, “If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; 32and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.” 33They answered Him, “We are Abraham’s descendants and have never yet been enslaved to anyone; how is it that You say, ‘You will become free’?”

34Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin. 35“The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son does remain forever. 36“So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed. 37“I know that you are Abraham’s descendants; yet you seek to kill Me, because My word has no place in you. 38“I speak the things which I have seen with My Father; therefore you also do the things which you heard from your father.”

39They answered and said to Him, “Abraham is our father.” Jesus said to them, “If you are Abraham’s children, do the deeds of Abraham. 40“But as it is, you are seeking to kill Me, a man who has told you the truth, which I heard from God; this Abraham did not do. 41“You are doing the deeds of your father.” They said to Him, “We were not born of fornication; we have one Father: God.” 42Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and have come from God, for I have not even come on My own initiative, but He sent Me. 43“Why do you not understand what I am saying? It is because you cannot hear My word. 44“You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45“But because I speak the truth, you do not believe Me. 46“Which one of you convicts Me of sin? If I speak truth, why do you not believe Me? 47“He who is of God hears the words of God; for this reason you do not hear them, because you are not of God.”

48The Jews answered and said to Him, “Do we not say rightly that You are a Samaritan and have a demon?” 49Jesus answered, “I do not have a demon; but I honor My Father, and you dishonor Me. 50“But I do not seek My glory; there is One who seeks and judges. 51“Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps My word he will never see death.” 52The Jews said to Him, “Now we know that You have a demon. Abraham died, and the prophets also; and You say, ‘If anyone keeps My word, he will never taste of death.’ 53“Surely You are not greater than our father Abraham, who died? The prophets died too; whom do You make Yourself out to be?” 54Jesus answered, “If I glorify Myself, My glory is nothing; it is My Father who glorifies Me, of whom you say, ‘He is our God’; 55and you have not come to know Him, but I know Him; and if I say that I do not know Him, I will be a liar like you, but I do know Him and keep His word. 56“Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad.” 57So the Jews said to Him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?” 58Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am.” 59Therefore they picked up stones to throw at Him, but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple.
  9. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    31 Jan '14 01:53
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    "Truth" is the words that Jesus spoke while he walked the Earth.

John 8
    31So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, [b]“If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; 32and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”
    33They answered Him, “We are Abraham’s descendants and have never yet been enslave ...[text shortened]... erefore they picked up stones to throw at Him, but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple.[/b]
    Thanks. Yes every word he spoke was truth as he never spoke untruth.
    How does that apply to imperfect humans? What do we do with this truth if we understand it?
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 Jan '14 01:541 edit
    No shoes here, just a discussion. But many will say they are following Jesus but yet he will deny them. Why? Did they really understand and accept what the truth is that Jesus was speaking of and all it emplys?
    There are those who do not understand fully the depth of commitment it entails. Most of these eventually "get it", but others often let the pressures of everyday life reduce their focus.

And again, there is disagreement often as to what Jesus meant by His words.

And furthermore, there are plenty in this world who will seemingly do all they can to try to convince you that "your understanding is wrong" and either that their Aunt Edna is the final authority on the truth of the Bible, or even that they themselves are. And, as you know, there are plenty who feel it is their job to judge.
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Jan '14 01:56
    Thanks. Yes every word he spoke was truth as he never spoke untruth.
    How does that apply to imperfect humans? What do we do with this truth if we understand it?
    Those who keep His word will be made free from the slavery of committing sin and will never see death.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 Jan '14 01:57
    "Truth" are the words that Jesus spoke while he walked the Earth. Those who keep His word will be made free from the slavery of committing sin and will never see death.

John 8
    31So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, [b]“If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; 32and you will know the truth, and the truth wi ...[text shortened]... erefore they picked up stones to throw at Him, but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple.
    Thanks for this passage. Powerful and poignant.

Never mind how I look at you funny while I say that. 🙂
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Jan '14 01:59
    Thanks for this passage. Powerful and poignant.

Never mind how I look at you funny while I say that. 🙂
    Why would you look at me funny?
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    31 Jan '14 02:01
    There are those who do not understand fully the depth of commitment it entails. Most of these eventually "get it", but others often let the pressures of everyday life reduce their focus.

And again, there is disagreement often as to what Jesus meant by His words.

And furthermore, there are plenty in this world who will seemingly do all they can to try ...[text shortened]... that they themselves are. And, as you know, there are plenty who feel it is their job to judge.
    You are right and yes one big issue is the disagreements on what he said. We all see that here daily at RHP.
    But shouldn't the truth on a subject be nothing more then the truth? If Jesus said the sky was blue, we'd all agree, I hope.
    But yet on so many things Jesus said, many can not agree on it. Why? What makes one clearly understand something he said but then so many don't and will disagee with everyone they speak to and exclaim that they are right until they are blue in the face?
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 Jan '14 02:05
    Why would you look at me funny?
    Aren't you normally found walking the other side of the tracks?

I'm looking at you as I'd look at any of them coming over here and putting forth scripture, especially in a thread having to do with truth. Not fantasy, but truth. And poignant scripture, at that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree