1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    31 Jan '14 23:48
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I'm not going to get into an argument with you Galvo, but you are skating on very thin ice with this line of reasoning that god is from another era and therefore all that god does in any ere is valid in any era.
    What? I have no idea what you mean by that. But no that is not my direction by any means.
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    31 Jan '14 23:49
    Originally posted by JS357
    Has this thread gotten around to stating the truth that is asked about in the OP? I suspect that for the faithful, the question is, and should be, a lifetime concern.
    Somewhat ...maybe...
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 00:00
    Let me try this another way. Yes Jesus always spoke the truth, that is very basic and not all that he meant by stating that.
    He obviously brought humanity a whole lot of new information about who he was, who his Father is, how the laws were being adjusted from the OT, news about this new Kingdom, and who would be doing what while being there and instructions on how to teach others which he did the entire time he was here.
    So now this truth he spoke of will include many, many things and all these things have to be always truthful and all involved in them have to do it with complete truth all the time.

So how do we all who claim to be Christian do this as completely as Jesus did? No we are or perfect as Jesus was and will faulter, but what do we have to do to be truthful in our works?
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 00:41
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Somewhat ...maybe...
    I am surprised to get such a definitive, confident reply.🙂
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 01:16
    Originally posted by JS357
    I am surprised to get such a definitive, confident reply.🙂
    I think your welcome, but then maybe not.... 🙂
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 09:35
    What? I have no idea what you mean by that. But no that is not my direction by any means.
    If you have no idea what I mean, how can you be so certain that is not the direction you are leading?

😕
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 09:38
    ...He obviously brought humanity a whole lot of new information about who he was, who his Father is, how the laws were being adjusted from the OT...
    Don't think I didn't spot you slip this little beauty in there Galvo. Lol.
  8. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 14:44
    Any thoughts on what "truth" means to a Christian?
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 15:081 edit
    yes, Gods word is truth! 😀
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 16:08
    Yes, Jesus claimed that HE was the TRUTH?
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 23:52
    Therefore, He must be God, right?
  12. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    02 Feb '14 01:52
    That's as deep of an answer as you can do huh? Ok then.....
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Feb '14 04:10
    John 18:37
    Good News Translation (GNT)
    37 So Pilate asked him, “Are you a king, then?”

Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. I was born and came into the world for this one purpose, to speak about the truth. Whoever belongs to the truth listens to me.”

Truth was the one purpose that he came to earth. What is this truth Jesus was speaking of?
    He came to speak the truth about Himself. He came to speak the truth about God as the Father, the Son, and Holy Spirit. He came to speak the truth about Satan the devil. He came to speak the truth about the body, soul, and spirit of man. He came to speak the truth about sin and death. He came to speak the truth about punishment in Hell and reward in the paradise in Heaven. He came to speak the truth about God's love.
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 Feb '14 18:22
    Originally posted by sonship
    [quote] I find the teachings of Jesus while He walked the Earth to be quite deep and profound. From what I can tell, the vast majority of Christians hold the teachings of Paul and his followers at their core rather than the teachings of Jesus. As such, they read much of what Jesus taught through the lens of the teachings of Paul. Therefore they "cannot hear ...[text shortened]... , was exceedingly faithful in pioneering into the experience of complete consecration in Christ.
    Let's look at what I wrote:
    Take John 8:31-36 for example. There Jesus states that His true disciples will be made free from committing sin. However it seems that the vast majority of Christian believe it impossible for any human being to stop committing sin. In short, they do not believe Jesus.

In John 8:31-32 Jesus states that His true disciples will be made free (from slavery).
    "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."

In John 8:34 Jesus establishes that "commit[ting] sin" is the slavery from which His true disciples will be made free:
    "...everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin."

In John 8:36 Jesus reaffirms that his true disciples will be made free of committing sin.
    “So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed"

Based on your post, I gather that you don't believe Jesus.
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 Feb '14 18:34
    I'm not holding an aggressive position on this just to be clear. However the assertion that Jesus was saying that once (whatever means) following him one cannot sin is demonstrably an incorrect position as Peter sinned in betraying him and did it through lying. This is a simple piece of absolute evidence that refutes the assertion.
    Your post does not appear to address what I wrote. Let's look at what I actually wrote:
    Take John 8:31-36 for example. There Jesus states that His true disciples will be made free from committing sin. However it seems that the vast majority of Christian believe it impossible for any human being to stop committing sin. In short, they do not believe Jesus.

I'll also repeat the further explanation that I wrote for Jaywill:
    In John 8:31-32 Jesus states that His true disciples will be made free (from slavery).
    "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."

In John 8:34 Jesus establishes that "commit[ting] sin" is the slavery from which His true disciples will be made free:
    "...everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin."

In John 8:36 Jesus reaffirms that his true disciples will be made free of committing sin.
    “So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed"

Do you also not believe Jesus?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree