What is wrong with being ATHIEST?

What is wrong with being ATHIEST?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

n

Green Bay, Wisconsin

Moves
16 May 05

in my mind nothing. but i dont understand how it could be wrong to not belive in something that cant be proven.

l

London

Moves
16 May 05
2 edits

Originally posted by nationalguardgrl
in my mind nothing. but i dont understand how it could be wrong to not belive in something that cant be proven.
What is wrong with attempting a coup?

s

Et in Arcadia ego...

Moves
16 May 05

Originally posted by lucifershammer
What is wrong with attempting a coup?

What is wrong with muffins? And is not that the question we really should be asking ourselves?

N

The sky

Moves
16 May 05

It's not your beliefs or lack of them which are wrong, it's the spelling.

s

Et in Arcadia ego...

Moves
16 May 05

Originally posted by Nordlys
It's not your beliefs or lack of them which are wrong, it's the spelling.
Hee hee... the easy hit... well deserved, though!

So, Nationalgrdgrl... maybe more of a question would be why are you clogging up these forums with such questions?

There is nothing wrong with being an atheist, or a theist, or most things, really, as long as you do not bore the trousers off everyone while you are doing it. A little discretion never goes amiss.

(And an odd spell-check)😉

Moves
16 May 05

Correct. At present there might seem to be nothing wrong with it. But the moment you die you might find out that you were wrong, but then it will be too late.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
16 May 05

Originally posted by dj2becker
Correct. At present there might seem to be nothing wrong with it. But the moment you die you might find out that you were wrong, but then it will be too late.
Why dj2? As I brought up in a seperate thread, why would God, who xtians claim wants nothing more than that all should come to repentance so that he can share his love with them, reject the repentance of a dead sinner?

Death has no special significance to God. It's just a door from the natural to the spiritual. If a sinner dies and then realizes that God does exist and that God is the most wonderful thing of all, then the sinner will repent. Why wouldn't God then accept the sinners sincere apology and welcome the sinner into his kingdom? There is no reason to think that a spiritual being like God would descriminate based upon the natural state of the sinners body.

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
16 May 05

Look at it this way: The Theist Ethic arises out of fear of Hell and hope of Heaven. The Ethical Atheist believes that Ethics are worth having for their own sake.
So, there is nothing wrong with Atheism, provided of course that the Atheist in question is an ethical person.
Clear?

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
16 May 05

Originally posted by telerion
Why dj2? As I brought up in a seperate thread, why would God, who xtians claim wants nothing more than that all should come to repentance so that he can share his love with them, reject the repentance of a dead sinner?

Death has no special significance to God. It's just a door from the natural to the spiritual. If a sinner dies and then realizes tha ...[text shortened]... a spiritual being like God would descriminate based upon the natural state of the sinners body.
You need to read the Bible more, then you already do, it will give you the answers to your question.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
16 May 05

Originally posted by RBHILL
You need to read the Bible more, then you already do, it will give you the answers to your question.
I have a decent idea of what the Bible says, Arby Hill. I'm talking about the reasoning of it. Just like I do not believe that the Flood actually literally happened as described in Genesis, I find the idea that a creator who wants to share his love with everyone would turn away a repentant soul once the body is dead, a ridiculous notion. Clearly man-made since death is insignificant to God, but ultimate to man.

Since you love Bible verses, here is a gift from me to you:

"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."

2 Peter 3:9

L

Moves
16 May 05

i don't know whether it is wrong to not believe in something that cannot be proven. but, just because something cannot be proven does not mean it is not true; so your belief could be wrong. so is it wrong to not believe in something that is true? probably not if you don't know that it is true. and round and round we go.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
16 May 05

Originally posted by LemonJello
i don't know whether it is wrong to not believe in something that cannot be proven. but, just because something cannot be proven does not mean it is not true; so your belief could be wrong. so is it wrong to not believe in something that is true? probably not if you don't know that it is true. and round and round we go.
Ouch! You're making my head hurt!

j
PapaJohn

South Dakota, USA

Moves
16 May 05

Originally posted by telerion
I have a decent idea of what the Bible says, Arby Hill. I'm talking about the reasoning of it. Just like I do not believe that the Flood actually literally happened as described in Genesis, I find the idea that a creator who wants to share his love with everyone would turn away a repentant soul once the body is dead, a ridiculous notion. Clearly man-mad ...[text shortened]... rd, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."

2 Peter 3:9
If you don't mind someone else jumping in here, I would say that of course God would not turn away a repentant sinner under any circumstances. The question is whether repentance is an option that people actually have, after death, in view of the way we are made.

Your assumption that death is an insignificant matter for God is rather imprecise. You are relying on a very Sunday School notion of what God's omnipotence means. We are made the way we are made. Given the fact of our nature (time bound creatures who are a union of matter and spirit) do we have the capacity to repent after death? When we have left rhe realm of time and entered the realm of eternity (which is not less than time, but is more than endless duration) Do we have the ability in this life to make an irrevocable decision? If not, in what sense do we really have free will?

The Christian view that there is no second chance of salvation after death is not a limitation on God's love or in contradiction to it. It is based on an understanding of the limits of human nature as it has been created. Yes, God could have created us differently, but given the way that he has made us, it may be impossilble to give us a second chance, without violating that nature.

j
PapaJohn

South Dakota, USA

Moves
16 May 05

Originally posted by KneverKnight
Look at it this way: The Theist Ethic arises out of fear of Hell and hope of Heaven. The Ethical Atheist believes that Ethics are worth having for their own sake.
So, there is nothing wrong with Atheism, provided of course that the Atheist in question is an ethical person.
Clear?
A curious question. What is the basis of Atheistic ethics if such a thing exists?

I am thinking of the Dostoyevsky quote, from The Brothers Karamozov, I think, in which one of the characters opines that, if God does not exist, then everything is permissible. That has long seemed to me to be profoundly true. So what is the basis of an Atheistical ethical theory?

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
16 May 05

I guess there is nothing wrong with being wrong, unless being wrong get you killed, maimed, sent to hell, or something else unpleasant. But other than that.... 😉