1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 May '18 02:43
    When I was about 15, in a swirl of certain music, hurtling uncontemplated peer group pressure and loyalty, and lurking on a Saturday morning with no good intent ~ while nursing a can of Tizer ~ at the 'Golden Egg' in the High Street, I went through a phase of being ambivalent - and passive - about the behaviour of boisterously racist freinds.

I was confronted by the memory of this a few years ago when [in an airport transit lounge, sheer coincidence, 30 years down the road] I ran into someone who had borne some of the brunt of my peers' behaviour and I realized that my ambivalence and loyalty back then counted for nothing ~ it, of course, hadn't even been recognized.

His magnanimous and friendly protestations of no hard feelings and water under the bridge did not set things right - but instead just served to sharpen the lesson learned.

What is your most regrettable past belief?
  2. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    31 May '18 03:03
    Just making sure I have this right. One of your most regrettable moments occurred, upon realizing how immorally everyone ELSE behaved and not correcting them so they would act more like you? It must be extremely difficult--knowing that everyone around you is completely inferior and suffering the constant dilemma of either telling them so, or withholding your judgment in favor of decency and good manners.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    31 May '18 03:05
    Originally posted by @fmf
    When I was about 15, in a swirl of certain music, hurtling uncontemplated peer group pressure and loyalty, and lurking on a Saturday morning with no good intent ~ while nursing a can of Tizer ~ at the 'Golden Egg' in the High Street, I went through a phase of being ambivalent - and passive - about the behaviour of boisterously racist freinds.

I was confront ...[text shortened]... instead just served to sharpen the lesson learned.

<<What is your most regrettable past belief?>>

Reading this OP
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 May '18 03:06

I was confront ...[text shortened]... instead just served to sharpen the lesson learned.

That you are a person worth answering.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    31 May '18 03:08

<<When I was about 15, in a swirl of certain music, hurtling uncontemplated peer group pressure and loyalty, and lurking on a Saturday morning with no good intent ~ while nursing a can of Tizer ~ at the 'Golden Egg' in the High Street, I went through a phase of being ambivalent - and passive - about the behaviour of boisterously racist friends.>>

I challenge anyone in the SF to diagram this sentence in under 12 hours. This is the Mount Everest of convoluted run-on sentences and even Miss Alawat, Tiger’s and Kiddo’s homeroom teacher and an expert on grammar, would have her hands full with this.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 May '18 03:101 edit
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    Just making sure I have this right. One of your most regrettable moments occurred, upon realizing how immorally everyone ELSE behaved and not correcting them so they would act more like you? It must be extremely difficult--knowing that everyone around you is completely inferior and suffering the constant dilemma of either telling them so, or withholding your judgment in favor of decency and good manners.
    One of my most regrettable past beliefs was being ambivalent about racism at one stage in my life ~ something I shook off in my mid- to late teens ~ but it was a regret that was accentuated by meeting a 'victim' many years later and thus getting a retrospective glimpse of that ambivalence and passivity.

7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 May '18 03:12
    It must be extremely difficult--knowing that everyone around you is completely inferior and suffering the constant dilemma of either telling them so, or withholding your judgment in favor of decency and good manners.
    I will bear your characterization and judgement of me in mind. Thanks.
  8. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    31 May '18 03:14
    I will bear your characterization and judgement of me in mind. Thanks.
    There's plenty more coming. Get used to it.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    31 May '18 03:18

<<I was confronted by the memory of this a few years ago when [in an airport transit lounge, sheer coincidence, 30 years down the road] I ran into someone who had borne some of the brunt of my peers' behaviour and I realized that my ambivalence and loyalty back then counted for nothing ~ it, of course, hadn't even been recognized.>>

Not to be persnickety and all kidding aside, this OP makes no sense.

If I read it right, you hung out with some racist trolls as a teen and many years later ran into one of your trolling victims and he was like, “No biggie, whatever.”

And that encounter caused you to think your loyalty to your fellow racist trolls wasn’t recognized or appreciated? Was one of them in the airport too? How did your encounter with a victim of your trolling lead you to draw a conclusion about your fellow trolling hoodlums?

And why wouldn’t your trolling victim saying “No hard feelings, forget about it, let’s smoke a peace pipe” not set things right but sharpen the lesson of your fellow racist trolls not appreciating your loyalty?

Huh????

If you submitted this paper to Miss Alawat, she’d hand it back with “Rewrite!” written in red ink.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 May '18 03:19
    One of your most regrettable moments occurred, upon realizing how immorally everyone ELSE behaved and not correcting them so they would act more like you?
    It was not an issue of whether I should have "corrected them". There were plenty of other kids with values similar to mine that I could have spent that time with. That is one of the things at the heart of the regret in question.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    31 May '18 03:21
    One of my most regrettable past beliefs was being ambivalent about racism at one stage in my life ~ something I shook off in my late teens ~ but it was a regret that was accentuated by meeting a 'victim' many years later and thus getting a retrospective glimpse of that ambivalence and passivity.

But what does that have to do with thinking your loyalty to your fellow racist trolls wasn’t recognized or appreciated by them? Was one of them in the airport?

This whole OP sounds made up, Kiddo.
  12. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    31 May '18 03:22
    One of my most regrettable past beliefs was being ambivalent about racism at one stage in my life ~ something I shook off in my late teens ~ but it was a regret that was accentuated by meeting a 'victim' many years later and thus getting a retrospective glimpse of that ambivalence and passivity.

So you doubled down on it. I get it. Your greatest regret is not correcting others for not being like you, when you had the chance. That suits your personality perfectly.

My most regrettable past belief?

The question is worded oddly. Nothing comes to mind but even if it did, I certainly wouldn't share it with you. I figure you ask weird questions like this to collect data on others for use later when you want to exploit them or pile it on in some group attack on their character.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    31 May '18 03:24
    This OP does serve as a fascinating, though confusing, glimpse into your formative, early years as a troller.

How did the lessons you learned from trolling back then help you to become the world-class troller you are today?
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    31 May '18 03:26
    So you doubled down on it. I get it. Your greatest regret is not correcting others for not being like you, when you had the chance. That suits your personality perfectly.

My most regrettable past belief?

The question is worded oddly. Nothing comes to mind but even if it did, I certainly wouldn't share it with you. I figure you ask weird que ...[text shortened]... r use later when you want to exploit them or pile it on in some group attack on their character.
    <<I figure you ask weird questions like this to collect data on others for use later when you want to exploit them or pile it on in some group attack on their character.>>

Bingo!

Kudos for recognizing it. This kind of data mining is one reason Kiddo is a world-class troller. He’s probably started a folder on you already.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 May '18 03:26
    I think the nature of the regret is not sticking up for my values and not seeking out peers who provided a more nourishing and edifying values-environment ~ something I had done prior to that 'Golden Egg' phase in my life ~ and which from the age of 16 onwards [as I matured, I suppose] I certainly did put into practice.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree