1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Jun '18 22:034 edits
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    You just argued that dead faith can be genuine. Lies can be genuine too, but they are still false. Dead faith is false faith. We are justified by faith. Abraham was declared righteous (justified) by his [b]faith. Look it up.[/b]
    We are justified by faith. Abraham was declared righteous (justified) by his faith. Look it up.

That is but one interpretation of Genesis 15:6. The truth is that that verse is open to several interpretations. Yours is not the most reasonable one.
  2. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    01 Jun '18 23:59
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    I think equating 'dead' with 'false' is an erroneous understanding of the text. James is quite clear in his meaning.

Death 'follows' birth. If a Christian wasn't actually born again (due to an absence of good works) then how can their faith be said to die? (If it was never born in the first place).

There 'can' be genuine faith 'without works ...[text shortened]... but such faith is insufficient to save. (It is a dead faith).

The Ghost has spoken wisely.
    Faith always produces works, but the "works" aren't what saves.

Salvation is not earned. Eternal life is not a reward.

"And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work."
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 00:04
    Originally posted by @secondson
    Faith always produces works, but the "works" aren't what saves.

Salvation is not earned. Eternal life is not a reward.

"And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work."
    If faith always produces works then James would have no need to say that faith without works is dead. Neither would Jesus have to state that not all who call Lord Lord [clearly those of faith] will enter the Kingdom of God. So you have that wrong.

Faith is faith and works is works. They are two separate and distinct things
    Faith can be dead or faith can be living.

Salvation is a gift of God. But it is not given to those who profess faith. Salvation and eternal life in the Kingdom of God is for those who live righteously and do good works

As usual you church doctrine is way off the mark.
  4. S. Korea
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 01:24
    I remember the time that FMF asked something similar and I talked about how I might, theoretically, be embarrassed by reverring icons in the future.

He immedaitely used it against me and probably has it filed away somwhere.

Be careful what you reveal in this thread:

FMF has never been known to recollect something to compliment someone. He is known only to bring it back up to attack people.

Keep your cards close to your chest.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 01:37
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    I remember the time that FMF asked something similar and I talked about how I might, theoretically, be embarrassed by reverring icons in the future. He immedaitely used it against me and probably has it filed away somwhere.
    You're making this up.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 01:38
    Thanks for your advice.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 01:41
    I remember the time that FMF asked something similar and I talked about how I might, theoretically, be embarrassed by reverring icons in the future.

He immedaitely used it against me and probably has it filed away somwhere.

Be careful what you reveal in this thread:

FMF has never been known to recollect something to compliment someone. He is known only to bring it back up to attack people.

Wise advice. He’s shameless when it comes to trolling - nothing is off-limits with him.

Sick!
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 01:47
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    If faith always produces works then James would have no need to say that faith without works is dead. Neither would Jesus have to state that not all who call Lord Lord [clearly those of faith] will enter the Kingdom of God. So you have that wrong.

Faith is faith and works is works. They are two separate and distinct things
    Faith can be dead or faith ca ...[text shortened]... hose who live righteously and do good works

As usual you church doctrine is way off the mark.
    <<Faith is faith and works is works. They are two separate and distinct things>>

I don’t agree with this at all, amigo. Faith changes someone from the inside out and produces good works. It changes someone into the proverbial good tree producing good fruit.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 03:14
    I don't know what the number is, but if anyone's faith hinges entirely upon what they hear from their parents then it boils down to brainwashing, lying to themselves, or perhaps the worst of all: being too afraid or too lazy to seriously consider the matter - willful ignorance. I can only hope there aren't many people at all in that situation but I do hope and pray they can come to Christ with real, personal faith and belief.
    So if a someone has adopted their parents' Christian faith ~ they believe in Jesus Christ etc. ~ but they have not "seriously considered the matter" [to your way of thinking], you don't really see them as fellow Christians?
  10. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 03:28
    Originally posted by @fmf
    So if a someone has adopted their parents' Christian faith ~ they believe in Jesus Christ etc. ~ but they have not "seriously considered the matter" [to your way of thinking], you don't really see them as fellow Christians?
    Nope, that's not what I said. Your twisted mind just makes up what people are thinking, eh? And then you attack them for it. Hard to believe your stories of so much world travel, considering you act like a 12 year old.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 03:30
    How can one “believe in Jesus Christ” on the one hand and not have “seriously considered the matter” on the other?

You think having genuine faith is as easy as turning on a light? You think maintaining it is easy during times of adversity?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 03:33
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Post alerted.
    I note that Romans1009's trolling post was removed.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 03:37
    Well there’s reason for you to pop a bottle of champagne!
  14. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 03:39
    I'm sure that's something you would take note of. So you can cross that one off your list. Let us know what else you find out as you scroll through the hundreds (thousands?) of messages in your endeavor to dig up dirt on people.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 03:40
    Nope, that's not what I said. Your twisted mind just makes up what people are thinking, eh? And then you attack them for it. Hard to believe your stories of so much world travel, considering you act like a 12 year old.
    "Like a 12 year old"?

Here's what was said:

Wolfgang59 (an atheist): Amazing the $hit you believe from parents! ... like there is a god

Tom Wolsey: Mom died when I was 3, and Dad was an atheist. I transitioned from atheist to Christian when I was 37. Got anything else in your arsenal?

Wolfgang59: What have your dead mom and atheist dad got to do, with my post?d

Tom Wolsey: You implied that faith and belief comes from what our parents teach us...

FMF: This is probably the case for literally billions of people in the world.

Tom Wolsey: I don't know what the number is, but if anyone's faith hinges entirely upon what they hear from their parents then it boils down to brainwashing, lying to themselves, or perhaps the worst of all: being too afraid or too lazy to seriously consider the matter - willful ignorance. I can only hope there aren't many people at all in that situation but I do hope and pray they can come to Christ with real, personal faith and belief.

And so here is my question:

It seems to have ruffled you and made you get all personal. The question is about what you said and its implications for the faith/religion you profess. This is the right forum for this conversation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree