What is your most regrettable past belief?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
31 May 18

Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
Just making sure I have this right. One of your most regrettable moments occurred, upon realizing how immorally everyone ELSE behaved and not correcting them so they would act more like you? It must be extremely difficult--knowing that everyone around you is completely inferior and suffering the constant dilemma of either telling them so, or withholding your judgment in favor of decency and good manners.
O Lord, it's hard to be humble, when you are so perfect in every way......

Sing it!

F

Moves
31 May 18

Originally posted by @whodey

Sing it!
Sometimes a person can find themselves not standing up for their actual values because of the people around them.

Moves
31 May 18

Originally posted by @whodey

Sing it!
Amazing contribution whodey...gosh it’s tough to find the casual dishonesty in that incisive laser beam of intellectual giantism.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
31 May 18

I used to believe eating raw mushrooms would give you worms. (Until I was 16)
Amazing the $hit you believe from parents! ... like there is a god.

w

Moves
31 May 18

Originally posted by @fmf
When I was about 15, in a swirl of certain music, hurtling uncontemplated peer group pressure and loyalty, and lurking on a Saturday morning with no good intent ~ while nursing a can of Tizer ~ at the 'Golden Egg' in the High Street, I went through a phase of being ambivalent - and passive - about the behaviour of boisterously racist freinds.

I was confront ...[text shortened]... instead just served to sharpen the lesson learned.

Regret? What's that? 😛

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 May 18

Originally posted by @divegeester
Amazing contribution whodey...gosh it’s tough to find the casual dishonesty in that incisive laser beam of intellectual giantism.
You’re being fussy again, tiger. Do you need a nap?

Did you see where I placed your hyenas story on the fridge? Right near the top so all the adults and big boys can see it!

I’m thinking of having it laminated. Would you like that?

Aficionado of Prawns

Texas

Moves
31 May 18

Originally posted by @wolfgang59
I used to believe eating raw mushrooms would give you worms. (Until I was 16)
Amazing the $hit you believe from parents! ... like there is a god.
Mom died when I was 3, and Dad was an atheist. I transitioned from atheist to Christian when I was 37. Got anything else in your arsenal?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
31 May 18

Mom died when I was 3, and Dad was an atheist. I transitioned from atheist to Christian when I was 37. Got anything else in your arsenal?
What have your dead mom and atheist dad got to do, with my post?
(Or my "arsenal" .... incidently I'm a Spurs supporter)

Aficionado of Prawns

Texas

Moves
31 May 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @wolfgang59
What have your dead mom and atheist dad got to do, with my post?
(Or my "arsenal" .... incidently I'm a Spurs supporter)
Strange that I have to explain your own comment to you. You implied that faith and belief comes from what our parents teach us... "Amazing the $hit you believe from parents! ... like there is a god."

F

Moves
31 May 18

You implied that faith and belief comes from what our parents teach us...
This is probably the case for literally billions of people in the world.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 May 18

That’s not at all true - even in a single case - if the faith and belief are genuine.

Aficionado of Prawns

Texas

Moves
01 Jun 18

I don't know what the number is, but if anyone's faith hinges entirely upon what they hear from their parents then it boils down to brainwashing, lying to themselves, or perhaps the worst of all: being too afraid or too lazy to seriously consider the matter - willful ignorance.

I can only hope there aren't many people at all in that situation but I do hope and pray they can come to Christ with real, personal faith and belief.

F

Moves
01 Jun 18

I don't know what the number is, but if anyone's faith hinges entirely upon what they hear from their parents then it boils down to brainwashing, lying to themselves, or perhaps the worst of all: being too afraid or too lazy to seriously consider the matter - willful ignorance.

I can only hope there aren't many people at all in that situation but I do hope and pray they can come to Christ with real, personal faith and belief.
Almost all religionists in the world profess the same faith as their parents, which is the sane faith as their grandparents, and their great granparents etc. etc.

Aficionado of Prawns

Texas

Moves
01 Jun 18

Almost all religionists in the world profess the same faith as their parents, which is the sane faith as their grandparents, and their great granparents etc. etc.
Again I don't know the number but most of the Christians I'm close to have very different stories - parents who are/were atheists and agnostics. Growing up, I had the nice combination of an atheist father and a pagan older brother I looked up to.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Jun 18

That may be true but it’s pretty irrelevant unless their parents are active in or vocal about their faith and encourage their children to identify with it or at least explore religion/faith.

I suspect many parents who self-identify as Christian are pretty lackadaisical about their faith and don’t really talk about with their kids. Not all, but many.