1. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 11:10
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    If faith always produces works then James would have no need to say that faith without works is dead. Neither would Jesus have to state that not all who call Lord Lord [clearly those of faith] will enter the Kingdom of God. So you have that wrong.

Faith is faith and works is works. They are two separate and distinct things
    Faith can be dead or faith ca ...[text shortened]... hose who live righteously and do good works

As usual you church doctrine is way off the mark.
    You should be careful how you malign the church. The church is the body of Christ and He is the head.

Would you curse Christ?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 18:07
    Originally posted by @secondson
    You should be careful how you malign the church. The church is the body of Christ and He is the head.

Would you curse Christ?
    He’s already blasphemed God’s Holy Spirit, which I think is far more serious and, if I’m not mistaken, the only unforgivable sin.
  3. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    03 Jun '18 09:14
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Faith without works is like a rose without water. It is destined to 'perish.' (Words chosen carefully). The assumption that good works inevitably follow faith is a dangerous one, clearly not evidenced in the world we live in. There are many 'genuine believers' who fail to act as God would wish them to act. They remain freewill operatives still respo ...[text shortened]... the cliche. ( He certainly had a lot of knowledge about Jesus). Feel free to evidence otherwise.
    Thanks for bringing up the thief.

He was obviously a Jew. Roman citizens were not crucified. The man acknowledged his guilt and as an act of faith trusted that Jesus was the saviour.

That's the bottom line for all of us. Works don't save. The grace of God is unmerited, received through faith alone.

God only can see the heart.
  4. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    03 Jun '18 09:19

He was obviously a Jew. Roman citizens were not crucified. The man acknowledged his guilt and as an act of faith trusted that Jesus was the saviour.

That's the bottom line for all of us. Works don't save. The grace of God is unmerited, received through faith alone.

Can one lose that grace old chap?

(By the way, splendid to see someone posting in the forum this morning worth responding to).
  5. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    03 Jun '18 09:27
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    He’s already blasphemed God’s Holy Spirit, which I think is far more serious and, if I’m not mistaken, the only unforgivable sin.
    Yes, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is unforgivable, but frankly, I don't think Rajk, and I'll include ToO in this too, are knowledgeable enough to commit that crime.

God knows.

Personally I think they're both just phonies. They know just enough to argue against grace and ridicule the church and God's Word.
  6. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    03 Jun '18 09:351 edit
    Can one lose that grace old chap?

(By the way, splendid to see someone posting in the forum this morning worth responding to).
    Impossible to lose salvation.

We live in a time God calls the dispensation of the age of grace. We experience the full benefit of the New Covenant. The one who trusts in the finished work of the cross, God knows the heart, is sealed with the Holy Spirit.

That's God's seal. It cannot be broken.

(Thank you for those kind words my friend. I'll try to live up to them.)

Edit - Don't count on my being prompt with posts and replies. Busy, busy, busy Sunday morning with family and church and stuff. I'm up early, but soon the rest of the sleepyheads will start making noise. 😉
  7. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    07 Jun '18 15:36

"The grace of God is unmerited, received through faith alone."

There are many passages in the Bible that indicate this is not the case. How do you reconcile them?

Look, right up there with loving God is loving your neighbor. - Such neighborly love is not shown through faith, it's shown through good works.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jun '18 18:03
    "The grace of God is unmerited, received through faith alone."

There are many passages in the Bible that indicate this is not the case. How do you reconcile them?

Look, right up there with loving God is loving your neighbor. - Such neighborly love is not shown through faith, it's shown through good works.
    Loving your neighbor in the way God wants is dependent upon what Jesus identified as the greatest commandment.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jun '18 22:54
    Loving your neighbor in the way God wants is dependent upon what Jesus identified as the greatest commandment.
    You can’t separate good works from faith.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 01:16
    Originally posted by @fmf
    When I was about 15, in a swirl of certain music, hurtling uncontemplated peer group pressure and loyalty, and lurking on a Saturday morning with no good intent ~ while nursing a can of Tizer ~ at the 'Golden Egg' in the High Street, I went through a phase of being ambivalent - and passive - about the behaviour of boisterously racist freinds.

I was confront ...[text shortened]... instead just served to sharpen the lesson learned.

What is your most regrettable past belief?
    That gay marriage should be legalized

I regret voting for that
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 01:16
    You can’t separate good works from faith.
    ? Why not?
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Jun '18 01:18
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    There's plenty more coming. Get used to it.
    Pssss

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree