1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    19 May '17 10:54
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    If you do not believe in God, and you are now talking about god, the only god you are
    talking about has to be the figment in your imagination, since there is no god in your eyes,
    It could be nothing else.
    If G v g is a deal breaker for you, I suggest counseling. Which sucks! Who needs other people to help them figure out what to do with your own thoughts.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 May '17 12:331 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Come sir, we are merely discussing the figment of your imagination.
    No, when I or any Christian speaks about God we are sharing about our Lord and savior. As I shared with you earlier He saved me when I was 25, I am now 60, and through the years in good times and bad He has been faithful.

From the perspective of any Atheist any who speaks about gods are speaking of figments of their imagination, to acknowledge God is real voids your worldview.

So when we speak about God what you think I delusionally think God did, and what I affirm He did is what is going on.

You never leave the make believe even when confronted with someone who tells you it's true.
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    19 May '17 13:46
    No, when I or any Christian speaks about God we are sharing about our Lord and savior. As I shared with you earlier He saved me when I was 25, I am now 60, and through the years in good times and bad He has been faithful.

From the perspective of any Atheist any who speaks about gods are speaking of figments of their imagination, to acknowledge God is re ...[text shortened]... .

You never leave the make believe even when confronted with someone who tells you it's true.
    Let's look at this objectively.

An atheist doesn't believe in God. An atheist therefore has no cognitive figmentation for God, due to this disbelief. A theist on the other had, as a result of 'believing' in God, does have a cognitive figmentation that he 'believes' to be real, even though empirically unsubstantiated.

Consequently, any discussion about God between an atheist and theist is exclusively concerned with the figmentation put on the table by the theist.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 May '17 14:202 edits
    Let's look at this objectively.

An atheist doesn't believe in God. An atheist therefore has no cognitive figmentation for God, due to this disbelief. A theist on the other had, as a result of 'believing' in God, does have a cognitive figmentation that he 'believes' to be real, even though empirically unsubstantiated.

Consequently, any discus ...[text shortened]... theist and theist is exclusively concerned with the figmentation put on the table by the theist.
    For you to reject something you have to have an opinion, argument, reasoning for your rejection. If you have no opinion you are not rejecting or accepting anything, so to form an opinion even a negative one means a stance has been formed.

You can say "that God isn't real" that is a stance. To talk about a God as if none are real, does mean you have an opinion about what that would mean if God were real.

Several people's arguments against God here main foundations rest in God didn't do something the way they would, again revealing an opinion on what you think God would mean.
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    19 May '17 14:50
    For you to reject something you have to have an opinion, argument, reasoning for your rejection. If you have no opinion you are not rejecting or accepting anything, so to form an opinion even a negative one means a stance has been formed.

You can say "that God isn't real" that is a stance. To talk about a God as if none are real, does mean you have an op ...[text shortened]... 't do something the way they would, again revealing an opinion on what you think God would mean.
    As an atheist, I certainly believe (despite my disbelief) that 'logically speaking' if a deity/creator did exist that was all powerful and perfectly loving, then the Christian God portrayed in the old and new testament wouldn't live up to a deity endowed with such attributes.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 May '17 15:111 edit
    As an atheist, I certainly believe (despite my disbelief) that 'logically speaking' if a deity/creator did exist that was all powerful and perfectly loving, then the Christian God portrayed in the old and new testament wouldn't live up to a deity endowed with such attributes.
    Maybe this is the root of the problem. Christians have assigned God as 'all loving', when His character in the Bible contradicts it. Wiping out mankind in the Noah story is just one example. The stoning to death verses of the undisciplined son is another.

If we believe that our Creator is in fact the God of the Bible, then we must be honest with the character and emotions the Bible have given Him. It's clear to me that God is much different in the OT, than that of Jesus in the NT. Two different Gods almost, and that's if one believes Jesus is God.
  7. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    19 May '17 15:25
    If you do not believe in God, and you are now talking about god, the only god you are
    talking about has to be the figment in your imagination, since there is no god in your eyes,
    It could be nothing else.
    I understand your point. The believers are talking about the Real God, while the non-believers must be talking about an imaginary god.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 May '17 16:00
    As I said you have some standard you have used to reject God so you have an opinion.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 May '17 16:01
    Originally posted by apathist
    I understand your point. The believers are talking about the Real God, while the non-believers must be talking about an imaginary god.
    What else do they have?
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    19 May '17 16:23
    What else do they have?
    Acuity
    acuteness
    astuteness
    awareness
    brains
    brilliance
    cleverness
    comprehension
    cunning
    discernment
    farsightedness
    good taste
    grasp
    guile
    ingenuity
    insight
    intellect
    intelligence
    intuition
    judgment
    keenness
    perception
    percipience
    perspicacity
    perspicuity
    refinement
    sagacity
    sensitivity
    sharpness
    shrewdness
    smartness
    smarts
    understanding
    vision
    wisdom
    wit

And savoir faire.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 May '17 16:311 edit
    Acuity
    acuteness
    astuteness
    awareness
    brains
    brilliance
    cleverness
    comprehension
    cunning
    discernment
    farsightedness
    good taste
    grasp
    guile
    ingenuity
    insight
    intellect
    intelligence
    intuition
    judgment
    keenness
    perception
    percipience
    perspicacity
    perspicuity
    refinement
    sagacity
    sensitivity
    sharpness
    shrewdness
    smartness
    smarts
    understanding
    vision
    wisdom
    wit

And savoir faire.
    You at best can only talk about what you think is real to us and what you think we have experienced, which is not the same thing as discussing something you know.
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 May '17 17:06
    Originally posted by apathist
    So it seems that the believer has the same claim to make about the god of the non-believer: it is imaginary.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 May '17 17:121 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    So it seems that the believer has the same claim to make about the god of the non-believer: it is imaginary.
    We both claim all the unbelievers have is imaginary. So yes!
  14. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    19 May '17 23:31
    What else do they have?
    Everybody is free not to come here, right? Basically, we put our opinions up for peer review. That is a good thing. We have to be strong enough to stand up to criticism, and we have to be ready to learn.
  15. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    19 May '17 23:34
    savoir-faire

Le, I guess. It was worth saving the french just for that phrase. Plus some cooking. Minus snails, imo.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree