What would you give up?

What would you give up?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
14 Nov 12

Originally posted by FMF
galveston75 has talked several times on this forum about how he shunned his own child in the past for religious reasons.

Are you unaware of the JW organisation's use of concerted shunning to punish and ostracize dissenters?

If you don't see institutionalized shunning of family and former friends as "psychological bullying" then that is a matter for you.
And please explain to what extent this shunning is applied? Do you know all the details of what is allowed in our everyday interactions with someone of the same family that is not only a mionr but that is still living under the parents roof?
Please explain all the facts on this that you know?

F

Moves
14 Nov 12
1 edit

Originally posted by galveston75
Please explain all the facts on this that you know?
Does this question to me mean you reckon you've now dodged my question once and for all? You know the one: about whether the instruction you perceive there to be the scriptures that you engage in psychological bullying, such as shunning or concerted ostracism, supersedes the morality of tolerance, humility and generosity of spirit towards others?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
15 Nov 12

Originally posted by FMF
Does this question to me mean you reckon you've now dodged my question once and for all? You know the one: about whether the instruction you perceive there to be the scriptures that you engage in psychological bullying, such as shunning or concerted ostracism, supersedes the morality of tolerance, humility and generosity of spirit towards others?
You really like those big words don't ya? Anyway answer my simple question about all you know on this subject that you think we are so bullyish about?

F

Moves
15 Nov 12

You really like those big words don't ya? Anyway answer my simple question about all you know on this subject that you think we are so bullyish about?
You think "ostracism" is a big word? I see institutionalized and concerted shunning as bullying, yes. Scientologists use it too. There is plenty of testimony about how the JWs use it. Plenty of testimony from victims. I had friends back in the U.K. who were victims of it, as you well know, I've discussed that here before. So, you have decided not to answer the point blank question about tolerance, humility and generosity of spirit towards others?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
15 Nov 12

Originally posted by FMF
You think "ostracism" is a big word? I see institutionalized and concerted shunning as bullying, yes. Scientologists use it too. There is plenty of testimony about how the JWs use it. Plenty of testimony from victims. I had friends back in the U.K. who were victims of it, as you well know, I've discussed that here before. So, you have decided not to answer the point blank question about tolerance, humility and generosity of spirit towards others?
So would you shun a murderer that shows no remorse?

F

Moves
15 Nov 12

So would you shun a murderer that shows no remorse?
Would this be a typical example of an orchestrated JW shunning? Against a JW who is a murderer but shows no remorse?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
15 Nov 12

Originally posted by FMF
Would this be a typical example of an orchestrated JW shunning? Against a JW who is a murderer but shows no remorse?
I asked you the question. Answer it or be done with this conversation.

F

Moves
15 Nov 12

If the murderer was a relative or somebody who had been close, I doubt I would shun them even if they showed no remorse. I imagine I would visit them in prison.

Are you still just intent on blanking out my question about tolerance, humility and generosity of spirit towards others?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
15 Nov 12

Originally posted by FMF
If the murderer was a relative or somebody who had been close, I doubt I would shun them even if they showed no remorse. I imagine I would visit them in prison.

Are you still just intent on blanking out my question about tolerance, humility and generosity of spirit towards others?
Well that would be your decision. If that person were free to move around in society and even come to your house for dinner, I truly hope you would shun him but who knows.
Another scene for you then. You have children, so would you shun a known child molester or would you be ok with that person being around your family?
If you knew of a person that was a thief, would you let your family and children associate with them?

F

Moves
15 Nov 12
1 edit

Well that would be your decision. If that person were free to move around in society and even come to your house for dinner, I truly hope you would shun him but who knows.
Your attempted thought-game involves asking whether I would shun "murderer that shows no remorse" who was "free to move around in society and even come to [my] house for dinner"?

I wonder how often you use thought-games like this to shore up your 'certainty' about your own moral righteousness.

F

Moves
15 Nov 12

Another scene for you then. You have children, so would you shun a known child molester or would you be ok with that person being around your family?
I would report a person I suspected of being a child molester to the police. My children would have no reason to associate with a stranger who was a suspected child molester nor would a stranger be "around my family". One cannot "shun" someone one does not know. If a friend or relative was a suspected child molester I would not shun them. Surely it is a situation in which that friend or relative needs the counsel of those who know him and care?

Would this be another typical example of an orchestrated JW shunning? i.e. against a JW who was "a known child molester" but showed no remorse, like the JW murderer?

F

Moves
15 Nov 12
2 edits

galveston75,

Are you planning to simply ignore my question about whether your obligations with regard to tolerance, humility and generosity of spirit towards others are somehow trumped by the "instruction" you claim there is for you - and your organisation, collectively, concertedly - to shun people for religious reasons?

F

Moves
15 Nov 12

Originally posted by FMF

Well that would be your decision.
Would it not be your decision too?

Would you not visit a relative who was in prison for a serious crime?

Would you be allowed to visit them by your organisation?

F

Moves
17 Nov 12

I answered you question.

And the follow up question too.

Have you simply bailed out on this conversation?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
17 Nov 12

Originally posted by FMF
I answered you question.

And the follow up question too.

Have you simply bailed out on this conversation?
Yep as I know this will never eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnnnndddddddddddddd.