1. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 18:02
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I believe we all have a sense of good, of evil--- some more acute than others, some less. That's beside the point, however. Your pragmatism aside, you've offered no reason for acting in a manner consistent with what we universally call 'good.'
    Being 'bad' creates an expectation of badness in other people and leads to expectation of 'revenge' badness from those you've wronged, both consciously and sub-consciously. Conversely, being 'good' creates an expectation of goodness in others which sometimes leads to unhappy disappointment but which nevertheless leads to a sense of contentment and an easy conscience. Whether or not there is a 'spiritual' element involved here I don't know, but you don't need to believe in god to benefit from being good, or suffer from being bad. I don't believe or disbelieve in god, but I strive to be a good person in a way that I don't often see reflected by my religious friends and associates, as they often seem to find excuses from their religion which allow them to behave in what I don't always consider to be a 'good' or 'right' way.
  2. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 22:39
    I believe we all have a sense of good, of evil--- some more acute than others, some less. That's beside the point, however. Your pragmatism aside, you've offered no reason for acting in a manner consistent with what we universally call 'good.'
    I act in that manner because I feel it's my best shot at having other people act in the same way. I act in that way because I live in a society that encourages me to do so. Maybe that'snot compelling enough for you.
    Maybe you need fairy stories and all powerful creators - that's your call.
    I don't need that.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Sep '10 10:462 edits
    so the conclusion of the matter is that our friend ammanion, or any one of us for that matter, have no more purpose to our lives than squiggly the red squirrel or a piece of rock?

sigh
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Sep '10 11:47
    Originally posted by jaywill
    [b]===============================
    BTW I dont agree with your interpretation of revelations.
    I actually loosely think that revelations may be true but how its going to play out is not a matter that is up for debbate. The wolf is going to come. Thats all. We dont know in what form or exactly when...
    ===================================

The ...[text shortened]... rward to a full taste in the age of the new heaven and new earth and the New Jerusalem.[/b]
    You have saturated yourself in Christianity. Great.
    Don't you feel like you need a reality check every now and then. How does your truth hold up without Christ?
    I have used Chrsitan lingo when talking to christians and bhuddist lingo when talking to bhuddists, but the truth is the truth and is not dependent on Jesus or any particurlar interpretation. It (Truth) is the ground of all being.

Revelation/revelations....bah!! Like I said: I loosely agree, nothing more. A change is coming.
    Lets not dwell on the future while our children demand our attentions now.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    08 Sep '10 12:47
    Originally posted by amannion
    I act in that manner because I feel it's my best shot at having other people act in the same way. I act in that way because I live in a society that encourages me to do so. Maybe that'snot compelling enough for you.
    Maybe you need fairy stories and all powerful creators - that's your call.
    I don't need that.
    You still haven't answered the question. Good, evil, pleasure, pain... they're all ultimately meaningless in your world.
  6. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    08 Sep '10 12:51
    You still haven't answered the question. Good, evil, pleasure, pain... they're all ultimately meaningless in your world.
    They are all subjective anyway. Good and evil are relative terms based on the morality of the individual. Pleasure and pain are also relative.

The words are meaningless on their own.
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    08 Sep '10 12:531 edit
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Being 'bad' creates an expectation of badness in other people and leads to expectation of 'revenge' badness from those you've wronged, both consciously and sub-consciously. Conversely, being 'good' creates an expectation of goodness in others which sometimes leads to unhappy disappointment but which nevertheless leads to a sense of contentment and a them to behave in what I don't always consider to be a 'good' or 'right' way.
    I agree in part.

One can lead a very full, very fulfilling life by simply living within the parameters of the rules of this life. Find one's calling in life, meet one's mate, cultivate meaningful friendships, maybe raise a family: all doable without the slightest nod in God's direction. He designed it that way, that simply.

However, when--- if--- one begins to seek the Good behind the goodness, one cannot help but run smack into Him. You want to live your life without Him in it, feel free. But don't think you can dismiss the foundation upon which your 'good life' rests without being challenged.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Sep '10 13:44
    And they are as ultimately meaningless in yours too. You just imagine an extra shell on the outside to try to hide that fact from yourself.
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    08 Sep '10 14:22
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And they are as ultimately meaningless in yours too. You just imagine an extra shell on the outside to try to hide that fact from yourself.
    The extra shell: what is that, exactly?
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    08 Sep '10 14:23
    Originally posted by lausey
    They are all subjective anyway. Good and evil are relative terms based on the morality of the individual. Pleasure and pain are also relative.

The words are meaningless on their own.
    Agreed.
  11. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    08 Sep '10 18:10
    I agree in part.

One can lead a very full, very fulfilling life by simply living within the parameters of the rules of this life. Find one's calling in life, meet one's mate, cultivate meaningful friendships, maybe raise a family: all doable without the slightest nod in God's direction. He designed it that way, that simply.

However, when--- if--- o ...[text shortened]... you can dismiss the foundation upon which your 'good life' rests without being challenged.
    Well here's the thing Freaky - I have searched very, very hard for a deeper meaning, for the 'good' for a very, very long time. I spent several years following the teachings of Christ, really quite devoutly, but ultimately, I felt, rather pointlessley. I felt no enlightenment, no divinity, no illumination whatsoever, but I did encounter what seemed like an endless parade of hypocrites and rascals (a minority of the faithful, of course) who seemed to think themselves 'saved' (whatever that means) and who, I felt, may have been christian according to the letter of his laws, but depressingly often without regard for the actual message. And just today I see on the news a christian preacher of some kind in the States actually organising his congregation to burn copies of the Quran. I ask you, where is the love, compassion, tolerance? Of course I also sought elsewhere, and have found nothing to recommend any one faith above another, apart, to a degree, from those non-theistic faiths that focus more on self-knowledge. I still seek spiritual truth, but now mostly without expectation of reaching it.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    08 Sep '10 18:56
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    when one plants flower seeds, flowers grow, when one plants grape seeds, grapes grow and we get wine, when one plants nothing, weeds grow 🙂
    I like that. Insightful.
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Sep '10 19:25
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Well here's the thing Freaky - I have searched very, very hard for a deeper meaning, for the 'good' for a very, very long time. I spent several years following the teachings of Christ, really quite devoutly, but ultimately, I felt, rather pointlessley. I felt no enlightenment, no divinity, no illumination whatsoever, but I did encounter what seemed ...[text shortened]... nowledge. I still seek spiritual truth, but now mostly without expectation of reaching it.
    Perhaps what you fail to recognize is that the vast majority of Christians do not follow "the teachings of Christ" but rather follow the teachings of others, i.e., Paul of Tarsus, their denomination, other writers of the Bible, etc.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Sep '10 19:29
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I like that. Insightful.
    why thank-you, its one of the most positive expression i think ive ever had on the spirituality forum to date, May your mind be a verdant garden and your thoughts bring you much happiness 🙂
  15. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    08 Sep '10 21:48
    No,I have answered your question.You may not like my response but that's your problem.
    Evil is meaningless and I'll ignore that. People treat evil as if it exists independently of our actions - for me there is good and not good.
    Good is acting in ways that help other people. Good is acting such that other people are not hurt by these actions. Not good is the alternative.
    Why do I act this way and not some other way?
    Because acting this way maximises my chances of being treated in the same way ... and because it feels right to do so.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree