1. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 20:08
    Originally posted by Halitose
    [b]Stop being so childish, Ivanhoe; it's embarassing to watch.

C'mon No1, when have you ever felt embarassed for Ivanhoe?[/b]
    Ho ho ho ..... 😀
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 20:09
    Originally posted by Halitose
    [b]Stop being so childish, Ivanhoe; it's embarassing to watch.

C'mon No1, when have you ever felt embarassed for Ivanhoe?[/b]
    All the time.
  3. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 22:321 edit

Hark, hark ..... Happy Holidays.
  4. Et in Arcadia ego...
    Moves
    23 Dec '05 15:522 edits
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Ok Cinderella, don't worry, you shall go to the ball.

And I will spell out the facts for you.

How do I not understand the meaning of X-mas? If one accepts that X=chi for Christ in the original of the term "X-mas, then one must also factor in 1) the fact that some Americans (some well-meaning, others not so, e.g. your good self, Cinders) tend to use euphemisms for Christmas, and 2) yes, granted that all U.S. citizens are fluent in ancient Greek, quite an achievement- but that's not the case in my country, which is a pity. But people do tend to pronounce it *ex-mass", and not "chi-mass" Well then, how many say X-mas so as not to offend? Can you answer that one? I doubt you can. But one can make a guess at it, and I would say that quite a few think X-mas a handy euphemism for not offending people.

Now, my point is this:

*Not that you shouldn't be allowed to call the holidays what you want, but that people who celebrate Christmas should feel free to call the feast by its proper name.

My question was this: do Jews and blacks, for example, find seeing the word Christmas offensive? Probably not. And I believe that is the case for most.

So who does object?

The answer seems to be embittered whiny secularisers like yourself who want Christianity erased from the face of the planet. And whine you will. You are a noisy bunch, but rather less numerous than you make out. Just extra whiny.

Conclusion: you should be told where to get off.

Quite simple, would you not agree?

Now get those egg whites whipped stiff for the lemon meringue pie, before Pedro comes home and beats you again.
  5. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    23 Dec '05 16:38
    Originally posted by sjeg
    Ok Cinderella, don't worry, you shall go to the ball.

And I will spell out the facts for you.

How do I not understand the meaning of X-mas? If one accepts that X=chi for Christ in the original of the term "X-mas, then one must also factor in 1) the fact that some Americans (some well-meaning, others not so, e.g. your good self, Cinders) tend to u ...[text shortened]... gg whites whipped stiff for the lemon meringue pie, before Pedro comes home and beats you again.
    You clearly haven't been paying attention to the discussion. You've got some Bill O'Reilly on the brain or something. Nobody is saying that people shouldn't be allowed to say "Merry Christmas."

It's really a very simple matter. A company/agency wants to issue a season greeting. They don't have space/time to list every single holiday individually, but they would like to cover the whole gammit. In this way, "Happy Holidays" and "Seasons Greetings" make a lot more sense than "Merry Christmas" or Ivanhoe's "Merry Christmas, the feast where we worship the birth of the only True God, and Happy False Idol days."

As for substituting "Christ" with "X," I do that just to piss off oversensitive mythicists like you.
  6. Et in Arcadia ego...
    Moves
    23 Dec '05 17:05
    Originally posted by telerion
    You clearly haven't been paying attention to the discussion. You've got some Bill O'Reilly on the brain or something. Nobody is saying that people shouldn't be allowed to say "Merry Christmas."

It's really a very simple matter. A company/agency wants to issue a season greeting. They don't have space/time to list every single holiday individu ...[text shortened]... ubstituting "Christ" with "X," I do that just to piss off oversensitive mythicists like you.
    Point being that some people feel obliged not to say Christmas, due to their big cary shary hearts.

Next point being some very dim secularists make a point of not sayinging Christmas, example being your good self.

Next point being you know nothing of my views on religion. This discussion has been about social behaviour, and what should be acceptable.

Last point being you think you are causing offence to anyone? You are just showing your lack of wit. You're the same as so many dull secularisers who post here- completely lacking in any sense of humour. But that goes with the job.
  7. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    23 Dec '05 17:28

It's really a very simple matter. A company/agency wants to issue a season greeting. They don't have space/time to list every single holiday individu ...[text shortened]... ubstituting "Christ" with "X," I do that just to piss off oversensitive mythicists like you.
    Telerion: "As for substituting "Christ" with "X," I do that just to piss off oversensitive mythicists like you."

It seems like the only one who was "pissed off" was you .....
  8. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    23 Dec '05 17:41
    I'll celebrate any holiday as long as I get a day off work for it.

Hell, I'll even call funerals holidays...
  9. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    23 Dec '05 17:431 edit
    Originally posted by sjeg
    Point being that some people feel obliged not to say Christmas, due to their big cary shary hearts.

Next point being some very dim secularists make a point of not sayinging Christmas, example being your good self.

Next point being you know nothing of my views on religion. This discussion has been about social behaviour, and what should be acceptable.

L ...[text shortened]... cularisers who post here- completely lacking in any sense of humour. But that goes with the job.
    The point being that you are clearly upset.

I think you'll notice that I've written "Merry Christmas" numerous times in this thread.

Next point being you know nothing of my views on religion.

Come on . . . let's not be juvenile.
  10. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    23 Dec '05 17:45
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Telerion: "As for substituting "Christ" with "X," I do that just to piss off oversensitive mythicists like you."

It seems like the only one who was "pissed off" was you .....
    Said the pot calling the kettle . . . what was it again . . . "a brown shirt" or something like that?

😀
  11. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    23 Dec '05 19:141 edit
    Said the pot calling the kettle . . . what was it again . . . "a brown shirt" or something like that?

😀
    You needed to dig very deep into the past before you found something, right ? That was ten years ago ... Why don't you frame it and nail it to the wall in your bedroom ..... in case you forget it ......

You were so pissed, Telly .... admit it, c'mon ...
  12. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    24 Dec '05 00:34

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    24 Dec '05 01:02
    Here's an Ivanhoe classic Christmas carol.

http://www.metrolyrics.com/lyrics/25553/South_Park/Merry_Fucking_Christmas
    ........... you're still pissed .....
  14. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    24 Dec '05 01:07
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    You needed to dig very deep into the past before you found something, right ?
    That was less than two years ago. I remember it more clearly than I remember last Christmas.
  15. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    24 Dec '05 01:26
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    That was less than two years ago. I remember it more clearly than I remember last Christmas.
    Less than two years ago ..... my my ... how time flies ....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree