What's wrong with Christmas?

What's wrong with Christmas?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

Et in Arcadia ego...

Moves
22 Dec 05

I mean, did you Yanks lose another war recently?

My point is thus:

It is plainly ridiculous to write "Happy Holidays" or "Seasons' Greetings" on cards, so as not to mention Christmas. It is even more ludicrous to wish somebody a Happy X-mas, so as not to offend anyone.

This is an invention of the U.S. Politically Correct Brigade, and used to happen only in the States, but now every Anglophone moron is so Americanised, that they are at it too. What's the point of this? You don't want to offend the Jewish people who don't celebrate Christmas? What kind of sad person would take offence in the first place? Give people some credit!

To the bed-wetters out there in the U.S., if you saw a black man in the street, would you wish him a happy "Kwanza"? If you did, and he had any sense, he would promptly tell you to where to stick it, you thick honky.

And what about all our secularisers, who are so vocal in these forums? Might you offend them? Well, atheists and agnostics make up under 1% of the U.S. population, so you had better cherish them as a minority, quick, before they feel neglected. So censor the Christ in Christmas, and replace it with an X. That will go down well with your token Jew and token black friend, as well as the atheist you go bowling with. So everyone's a winner. Well played.

For verily I sayeth unto ye cary shary liberals, and P.C.ers most true throughout this world, either stop with this nonsense, or buy a rubber sheet, at the very least.

And to all of you, a Merry Christmas.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
22 Dec 05

Originally posted by sjeg

My point is thus:

It is plainly ridiculous to write "Happy Holidays" or "Seasons' Greetings" on cards, so as not to mention Christmas. It is even more ludicrous to wish somebody a Happy X-mas, so as not to offend anyone.

This is an invention of the U.S. Politically Correct Brigade, and used to happ ...[text shortened]... his nonsense, or buy a rubber sheet, at the very least.

Let's start with the observation that the X is an ancient symbol for Christ, as it is the first letter of the word--the Greek letter Chi = X.

None of the rest of your post was rooted in knowledge either.

Yesterday, I celebrated the winter solstice--the most ancient of holidays in this season of holidays. I also will celebrate Christmas with my Christian friends, Hanukkah with my Jewish friends, Kwanzaa with my African American friends, New Year's with my partner and our children.

Happy Holidays.

stitching you up

Moves
22 Dec 05
1 edit

hmmm. Maybe people take the Christ out of Christmas if they aren't Christian themselves and don't want to by hypocritical? I don't think it's an attempt to be PC in most cases. As you point out, many people celebrate at this time of year, and the date is not reserved for Christians. In fact it's arbitary, placed on top of other winter festivals with nothing to do with Christ's birthe (which I think is supposed ot be in March...). Why say someone can't wish seasonal greatings if thats how they think of this period?

nb. I've never trusted stats such as those that say only 1% of the population is athiest or agnostic. People, when asked what faith they are, tend to reply that they belong to the prevelant religion in their area/country. To say that you are athiest or agnostic is declaring a definate belief (or lack of), whereas many people will declare themselves as a particular faith because they were baptised and got married in church - but ask them when they last worshiped or how much they actually know about the faith they profess to belong to and they crumble quickly.

a

Meddling with things

Moves
22 Dec 05

Originally posted by Wulebgr
Let's start with the observation that the X is an ancient symbol for Christ, as it is the first letter of the word--the Greek letter Chi = X.

Yesterday, I celebrated the winter solstice--the most ancient of holidays in this [b]season of holidays
. I also will celebrate Christmas with my ...[text shortened]... th my African American friends, New Year's with my partner and our children.

Happy Holidays.[/b]
I will happily celebrate Xmas, & New year. Easter I enjoy, Diwalli fireworks make me smile, my son went to a chinese new year party this year, I'll greet Muslim friends at Eid and have a fine time at halloween.

Lets celebrate diversity. I'll hold on to my own values but I'm happy to share other peoples' joy too.

Lifes too short to ban celebrations lest they offend others (as some in the UK try to). Lets all party together.

s

England

Moves
22 Dec 05

did hear some note of the P.C. CROWD saying firms should not put up xmas decorations as not to offend other faiths fine in principle but my local curry takeaway which is run by other faiths put them up every year.

s

Et in Arcadia ego...

Moves
22 Dec 05
1 edit

Yesterday, I celebrated the winter solstice--the most ancient of holidays in this [b]season of holidays
. I also will celebrate Christmas with my ...[text shortened]... th my African American friends, New Year's with my partner and our children.

Happy Holidays.[/b]
I don't think the reasoning behind Americans wishing people a Merry X-mas has much to do with the Greek alphabet. How many of the 260 million U.S. citizenry have studied Greek, apart from your intellectual self? It is clearly part of your P.C. idea of not treading on anyone's toes, which is fallacious.

So you celebrated the solstice, did you? So did we- what's your point? Actually, just down the road is a famous structure older than the pyramids of Egypt, in which a chamber has been designed to light up on that very day.

Did you get a day off work for the Winter Solstice? Funny old world, then.

Say hello to your "token Jew", and wish him a happy Hanukkah. (That's spelt with two Hs, by the way, but I'm sure your Jewish friend will have told you that by now). Pat your fellow "African American" friend on the back, and wish him a peaceful "Kwanza".

Don't be too surprised to find they actually hate you, (and not without good reason), are laughing at you behind your back.

And your "partner"? What business are you in? Do you play golf together? I trust your partner is a man, with whom you have recently celebrated a civil union, and managed to adopt yourselves the innocents of some poor ruined country? Really, think about investing in those rubber sheets- for you they might serve a double purpose.

You, sir, are a truly caring individual. Congratulations. And just for you "Happy holidays".

t

my island

Moves
22 Dec 05

whats wrong with chrismass, its people like you trying to make into some sort of christain thing. Chrismass is a joke it will always be a joke and would all the religious poeople leave it alone to evolve into a bigger joke than it is now.

Only 1 F in Uckfield

Buxted UK

Moves
22 Dec 05

My point is thus:

This is an invention of the U.S. Politically Correct Brigade, and used to happ ...[text shortened]... his nonsense, or buy a rubber sheet, at the very least.

Please remember:- Religion is not just for Christmas.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
22 Dec 05
1 edit

It is clearly part of your P.C. idea of not treading on anyone's toes, which is fallacious.
The greatest and most absurd fallacy anywhere in this thread is the term PC, which in truth means most nearly the opposite of what you seem to think.

I'm not going to waste my time quarreling with you over the history of the term X-mas. Do some research so you know what you're writing about, and then we can have a discussion.

Take a drive on any road in America and you'll see little fishes on the back of cars--some empty, some with feet (see Clan 6), and some with Greek letters. I'd say that a considerable percentage of Americans know what the X stands for, even if they do not know it is a Greek letter.

Only 1 F in Uckfield

Buxted UK

Moves
22 Dec 05

Originally posted by trevor33
[b]whats wrong with chrismass,
Are you having a laugh?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
22 Dec 05

My point is thus:

Your statistics are fraudulent. Here are the real statistics:

• 81% of Americans identify themselves with a specific religion.
• Only 76.5% of Americans are christians. This is down from 86% in 1990. If this rate of decline continues, non-christians will outnumber christians in the U.S. by the year 2042.
• Of the people who identify themselves as christian, 52% are Protestant and 24.5% are Roman Catholic.
• Although it is difficult to discern the exact number of atheists and agnostics in the U.S., 14.1% of the population are non-religious. This is up from 8% in 1990.
• The fastest growing religion in the U.S. is Wicca. Their number increased from 8,000 in 1990 to 134,000 in 2001.

As 23.5% of Americans are non-christians, we reserve the right to refer to the holiday formerly known as "Christmas" in any way we see fit. "Happy Holidays" is as good a non-denominational choice as any.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_prac2.htm

s

Et in Arcadia ego...

Moves
22 Dec 05

The greatest and most absurd fallacy anywhere in this thread is the term PC, which in truth means most nearly the opposite of what you seem to think.

I'm not going to waste my time quarreling with you over the history of the term X-mas. Do some research so you know what you're writing about, and then we can have a discussion.

Take a drive on any road ...[text shortened]... rcentage of Americans know what the X stands for, even if they do not know it is a Greek letter.
Oh do explain your theory of wonderful P.C., and what this lifestyle choice entails.

What I am on about is in my previous posts. But when did I say that people didn't know what the X stands for in X-mas? To you I say Bah and Humbug. Pay attention, old boy!

Now don't you have a quiche to be baking for a neighbour from an ethnic minority, or similar?

w
Stay outta my biznez

Moves
22 Dec 05
1 edit

Oh do explain your theory of wonderful P.C., and what this lifestyle choice entails.

What I am on about is in my previous posts. But when did I say that people didn't know what the X stands for in X-mas? To you I say Bah and Humbug. Pay attention, old boy!

Now don't you have a quiche to be baking for a neighbour from an ethnic minority, or similar?
From a business standpoint saying Happy Holidays makes perfect sense.

I work for a securities/broker business, and we have clients all over the world. Sending out "christmas cards" would be a mistake. So we go with the good old standby "Happy Holidays".

We don't give a crap about our client's religions, but we do care that we keep getting our greedy hands on their money. So happy holidays is nice and safe.

They in turn don't give a crap about the holiday either. They just want us to keep making money for them.

So in the end everyone is happy. As long as we keep making money for them that is.

So screw Merry Christmas. Happy Holidays works just fine.

s

Et in Arcadia ego...

Moves
22 Dec 05

The devil can cite scripture for his purpose.

The same seems to be true of whingy liberals and their agendas. Fraudent? Here's the survey:

http://www.adherents.com/rel_USA.html

Now get that apron on, quick, otherwise the brownies you have left in the oven might just burn.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
22 Dec 05
1 edit

But when did I say that people didn't know what the X stands for in X-mas?
Let me be more clear.

You have shown that you do not understand the meaning of the term X-mas

So censor the Christ in Christmas, and replace it with an X.

You also have shown that you do not understand American traditions.

I don't think the reasoning behind Americans wishing people a Merry X-mas has much to do with the Greek alphabet. How many of the 260 million U.S. citizenry have studied Greek, apart from your intellectual self? It is clearly part of your P.C. idea of not treading on anyone's toes, which is fallacious.

The drunkest fools I met in college knew the Greek alphabet, although they seemed to know nothing else.

PC is not a "lifestyle". It is a rhetorical flourish brought out in the absence of debate. It mostly gets used when those in political power wish to dismiss without argument the pleadings of those seeking political and cultural equality.