1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    24 Dec '05 03:35
    Originally posted by telerion
    As for substituting "Christ" with "X," I do that just to piss off oversensitive mythicists like you.
    The source of telerion's anger? He speakths wisth a listhp.
  2. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    24 Dec '05 10:31
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Wait till they find out that Santa Claus is in fact a Roman-Catholic saint in disguise. Hell will break loose and Coca Cola will go bankrupt ... ho ho ho ......
    Can you substantiate that claim? I assume you're referring to Nicholas of Myra.
  3. Et in Arcadia ego...
    Moves
    24 Dec '05 18:371 edit
    Originally posted by telerion
    "The point being that you are clearly upset."

Not at all. I don't mind what you say. As I said, such attitudes just reflect negatively on you. They don't bother me, anyway. And I really don't think you're upsetting anyone who has been posting here, either.

"Come on . . . let's not be juvenile"

Juvenile? What does that have to do with it? If you know me so well, or are so gifted at deduction, my dear Watson, then give me a quick summary of my beliefs!

"I think you'll notice that I've written "Merry Christmas" numerous times in this thread."

Well, Merry Christmas, then! That's the spirit! Now I'm off to do some serious celebrating! Yuletide tradition for centuries dictates a trip to yonder local pub.

Wishing a happy Christmas Eve to all!

sjeg
  4. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    24 Dec '05 21:08
    Originally posted by David C
    Can you substantiate that claim? I assume you're referring to Nicholas of Myra.
    sssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhht ............... 😉 😴
  5. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    25 Dec '05 00:39
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    sssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhht ............... 😉 😴
    So, that's a resounding "no", then. Merry Solstice, Ivanhoe. Don't forget to face the risen sun on Christmas morn.
  6. London
    Moves
    25 Dec '05 02:35
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    You really should actually read what people post rather than assuming it fits into your preconceived position. From the first post:

Sjeg: It is plainly ridiculous to write "Happy Holidays" or "Seasons' Greetings" on cards, so as not to mention Christmas. It is even more ludicrous to wish somebody a Happy X-mas, so as not to offend anyone

So what was his point again?
    That it's ludicrous to with Happy X-mas so as not to offend anyone because the ones who are usually spoken of as being offended (i.e. people of other faiths) are not going to be offended.

'Swatisaid.
  7. Et in Arcadia ego...
    Moves
    26 Dec '05 15:13
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    That it's ludicrous to with Happy X-mas so as not to offend anyone because the ones who are usually spoken of as being offended (i.e. people of other faiths) are not going to be offended.

'Swatisaid.
    Cheers, L.H.!

Nice that at least a few people know how to read a post, instead of putting their own interpretations on it to fit in with their own ideas on the matter!

Nod to all!
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 Dec '05 16:27
    Originally posted by lucifershammer

'Swatisaid.
    Who knows what people are going to be offended by?? Who would have thought a bunch of idiotic Christians (undoubtedly a minority though) would be offended by someone saying "Happy Holidays" at Target?
  9. Et in Arcadia ego...
    Moves
    26 Dec '05 17:242 edits
    Originally posted by no1marauder

saying "Happy Holidays" at Target?
    I take it Target is an American commercial chain? People could at least try and remember that not everyone posting here lives in the U.S.. Try and be a bit more international in your references! Otherwise you limit the number of people who have a clue about what you're on about.

Again- the point is not that anyone was offended by the "Happy Holidays" stuff, but more that this practice of attempting not to offend non Christians by banning the word Christmas is ludicrous, or is veiled fundamentalism pushed by people with secularising agendas.
  10. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    26 Dec '05 17:31
    It seems a lot of people here are easily offended. The xians foremost among them. I'd think people who are destined for eternal paradise while their enemies writhe forever in agony wouldn't be so uptight about the little things. The tactics employed by some of the xians in this thread betray that deep down they really don't believe. Of course, I would be naive to look to Ivanhoe as an example of Christian.

BTW: Isn't this the first day of Chanukah? If so, Happy Chanukah to everyone.
  11. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    26 Dec '05 17:342 edits
    Originally posted by sjeg
    I take it Target is an American commercial chain? People could at least try and remember that not everyone posting here lives in the U.S.. Try and be a bit more international in your references! Otherwise you limit the number of people who have a clue about what you're on about.

Again- the point is not that anyone was offended by the "Happy Holidays" stuf ...[text shortened]... Christmas is ludicrous, or is veiled fundamentalism pushed by people with secularising agendas.
    Sounds like you're championing PC. Be more international? 😛

When you're country matters in the world, then we'll note it. Until then, just be thankful we tolerate your independence.

Finally, why do you keep insisting that people are "banning" the word Christmas. We've told you over and over that that is a load of crap. You have purposefully chosen not to engage in intelligent discussion. It's no wonder this thread has degenerated.

Edit: for an example see the post immediately below this one.
  12. Et in Arcadia ego...
    Moves
    26 Dec '05 17:34
    See back three posts, my one on this page,
  13. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    26 Dec '05 17:58

Again- the point is not that anyone was offended by the "Happy Holidays" stuf ...[text shortened]... Christmas is ludicrous, or is veiled fundamentalism pushed by people with secularising agendas.
    You've been answered and refuted. Your Crusade against non-existent bans is the clearest example of ludicrousness.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 Dec '05 18:03

Sorry if I offended you. 😛
  15. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    27 Dec '05 19:05
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all and to all a goodnight !!!!!!!!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree