1. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 18:591 edit
    Originally posted by telerion
    I have no problem with some one saying "Merry Christmas." It's inoccuous and trite. I still say it to people that I know celebrate Christmas.

The bitching that xians are doing right now though stems from a misunderstanding of xian privilege in the US. If a business wants to encourage the use of a broader, more efficient well-wishing then that's ...[text shortened]... vilege that some one can take any other season greeting as some sort of attack on their beliefs.
    Pffffffffffffffttttt ........ "more efficient well-wishing" ....... "they are encouraging a more effective and appropriate greeting to the public in general." ............ pfffffffffffffffttt

"Moreover the close proximity of New Year's Day to Christmas makes the use of "Happy Holidays" even more reasonable."

...... "even more reasonable" ........ loooool ....... 😀

" It is only from a perspective of Christian privilege that some one can take any other season greeting as some sort of attack on their beliefs."

Talking about being politically correct ...... ROTFLMSSO ....... (Rolling Over The Floor Laughing My Santa Socks Off ) ....... 😀 😵 😀
  2. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 19:04
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    I'm not forcing anybody. You are turning things upside down. People are forced by these fundamentalist secularists to say "Happy Holidays" ....... take a good look at the post of mine where it says:

"Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everybody"

See Rwingo ..... Now who's being intolerant here ? 😉
    Would you support say, "Happy Chanukah and Happy Holidays"?
    Maybe "Have a wonderful Kwanzaa, New Year's, Solstice, etc."?
  3. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 19:14
    Would you support say, "Happy Chanukah and Happy Holidays"?
    Maybe "Have a wonderful Kwanzaa, New Year's, Solstice, etc."?
    If that's the most political correct way ..... let's go for it ..... 😀
  4. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 19:15
    Pffffffffffffffttttt ........ "more efficient well-wishing" ....... "they are encouraging a more effective and appropriate greeting to the public in general." ............ pfffffffffffffffttt

"Moreover the close proximity of New Year's Day to Christmas makes the use of "Happy Holidays" even more reasonable."

...... "even more reasona ...[text shortened]... ...... ROTFLMSSO ....... (Rolling Over The Floor Laughing My Santa Socks Off ) ....... 😀 😵 😀
    Having trouble constructing an intelligent post?

How's this for PC?

I don't give a %*$& about your silly superstitions and if you get your panties in a bunch when some one doesn't recognize them or recognizes one of the many other holidays at this time of year without also mentioning yours, then boo hoo hoo. Tell you what. If you're so hot and bothered to crucify yourself, stop by my place. I'll provide the timber and nails.

Oh yeah, Have a Fabulous Winter Soltice and Happy Holidays.
  5. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 19:18

........ looooool ........... Do you serve Cranberry Sauce to go with all this ? 😀 😉
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 19:23
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    That's not what he's saying at all. He's making the point that the people who are usually cited as being offended by "Merry Christmas" (as opposed to "Happy Holidays" etc.) - Jews, Muslims and people of other faiths - are in fact [b]not offended by such a greeting. His point is that this oft-cited myth is exactly that - a myth.[/b]
    You really should actually read what people post rather than assuming it fits into your preconceived position. From the first post:

Sjeg: It is plainly ridiculous to write "Happy Holidays" or "Seasons' Greetings" on cards, so as not to mention Christmas. It is even more ludicrous to wish somebody a Happy X-mas, so as not to offend anyone

So what was his point again?
  7. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 19:28
    Question for the politically correct:

Are we allowed to wish someone a "Happy Easter" or should there also be a "more reasonable" substitute we should use ?
  8. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 19:29
    If that's the most political correct way ..... let's go for it ..... 😀
    Typical Anti-PC BS. PC is rare, though at times it is an unfortunate occurence. Anti-PC hysteria is a much more common and ridiculous.
    If a company chooses to be PC by adopting a more inclusive and accurate phrase in place of a previous phase, then the worst it can be accused of is changing the status quo to something more bland. If some one chooses to adopt an Anti-PC stance by maintaining the traditional, then the best that they can gain is to defend an less inclusive and less accurate phrase. The worst is that they can do is to champion a harmful, racist, and irresponsible slander.

Of course, given you track record around here, I can understand why you would view any speech that is less than bigotted as a threat to your way of life.
  9. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 19:30
    Question for the politically correct:

Are we allowed to wish someone a "Happy Easter" or should there also be a "more reasonable" substitute we should use ?
    Typical Hoe.

No one is censoring you. Here let me help you with the feet since your hands are aren't free at the moment.
  10. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 19:34
    Typical Anti-PC BS. PC is rare, though at times it is an unfortunate occurence. Anti-PC hysteria is a much more common and ridiculous.
    If a company chooses to be PC by adopting a more inclusive and accurate phrase in place of a previous phase, then the worst it can be accused of is changing the status quo to something more bland. If some one chooses to ...[text shortened]... rstand why you would view any speech that is less than bigotted as a threat to your way of life.
    "Typical Anti-PC BS" .............. 😀 ....... "Anti-PC hysteria" ........... looooool ..... 😀 🙄 😀
  11. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 19:35
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    [b]They do, but less often than once for every thousand times that someone asserts that they have.

Are the following examples of the 1 or the 999:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/2597481.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4398680.stm
    http://www.localsource.com/articles/2005/12/15/news_-_record/news/opinion/doc43a18c31e8df2420283621.txt[/b]
    There is nothing "patently ridiculous" in any of these stories, except the assertion by Christine Banks.
  12. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 19:35
    Typical Hoe.

No one is censoring you. Here let me help you with the feet since your hands are aren't free at the moment.
    Telly Telly Telly ....... tell us a nice Christmas story ........... PC please .... ha ha ha 😀
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 19:501 edit
    Telly Telly Telly ....... tell us a nice Christmas story ........... PC please .... ha ha ha 😀
    Stop being so childish, Ivanhoe; it's embarassing to watch.

You're allowed to say anything you want in your free time and so is everybody else. If a company feels it is in the best interest of the company that employees greet people with a more inclusive phrase than "Merry Christmas" WHILE THEY ARE WORKING, that's up to the company. If I want my gorgeous secretary to answer the phone with "no1Marauder: American Hopeful!" that's my bizness. The Bill O'Reilly's of the world and paranoid Christians are making Mt. Everest out of a molehill.
  14. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 19:542 edits

I'm dreamimg of a white .... holiday ..... just like the ones we used to know ..... 😀 ROTFLMSSO
  15. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 19:56
    Originally posted by no1marauder

You're allowed to say anything you want in your free time and so is everybody else. If a company feels it is in the best interest of the company that employees greet people with a more inclusive phrase than "Merry Christmas" WHILE THEY ARE WORKING, that's up to the company. If I w ...[text shortened]... Bill O'Reilly's of the world and paranoid Christians are making Mt. Everest out of a molehill.

C'mon No1, when have you ever felt embarassed for Ivanhoe?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree