1. London
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 16:57
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    PC is not a "lifestyle". It is a rhetorical flourish brought out in the absence of debate. It mostly gets used when those in political power wish to dismiss without argument the pleadings of those seeking political and cultural equality.
    It's not clear to me what point you're making here. Are you saying that 'political correctness' is an excuse used by politicians to maintain political and cultural inequality? Or that the term 'PC' is used by politicians to denigrate the requests of those seeking such equality?
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 16:591 edit
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    It's not clear to me what point you're making here. Are you saying that 'political correctness' is an excuse used by politicians to maintain political and cultural inequality? Or that the term 'PC' is used by politicians to denigrate the requests of those seeking such equality?
    yes

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/BookSearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=Tl2x9FlCbV&isbn=0822317133&itm=1 offers a good start if you don't understand the history of the term, and its widespread use to distort reality and stifle argument.
  3. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 17:011 edit
    I've heard about this amusing politically correct operetta.

Wait till they find out that Santa Claus is in fact a Roman-Catholic saint in disguise. Hell will break loose and Coca Cola will go bankrupt ... ho ho ho ......

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everybody.
  4. London
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 17:071 edit
    yes

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/BookSearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=Tl2x9FlCbV&isbn=0822317133&itm=1 offers a good start if you don't understand the history of the term, and its widespread use to distort reality and stifle argument.
    Do you claim then that authorities and administrative bodies do not, in fact, implement policies under the guise of 'political correctness' that are patently ridiculous?

EDIT: Since we are a global community on this site, I am not sure how the issue of political correctness on American college campuses necessarily pertains to this discussion.
  5. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 17:091 edit
    Originally posted by sjeg
    I mean, did you Yanks lose another war recently?

My point is thus:

It is plainly ridiculous to write "Happy Holidays" or "Seasons' Greetings" on cards, so as not to mention Christmas. It is even more ludicrous to wish somebody a Happy X-mas, so as not to offend anyone.

This is an invention of the U.S. Politically Correct Brigade, and used to happ ...[text shortened]... his nonsense, or buy a rubber sheet, at the very least.

And to all of you, a Merry Christmas.
    No Jew and no Muslim is objecting to it. This is merely an attempt by secularists to fight everything that is Christian. It is part of their ideological war against everything that dares to hint in the direction of Christianity. It shows how intolerant, narrow minded and fundamentalist they really are.
  6. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 17:29
    Do you claim then that authorities and administrative bodies do not, in fact, implement policies under the guise of 'political correctness' that are patently ridiculous?

They do, but less often than once for every thousand times that someone asserts that they have.

EDIT: Since we are a global community on this site, I am not sure how the issue of political correctness on American college campuses necessarily pertains to this discussion.

American college campuses are global communities. The term PC as a widely used term originates in attacks on the curriculum of American college campuses by the Reagan administration. Of course, its use is not so limited today. Nevertheless, as its meaning calcifies, it distorts the actual contours of political power and cultural practices even more than anything The Great Communicator ever uttered (and that's far more distortion than you'll find in the hall of mirrors at the summer carnival).
  7. London
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 17:46

They do, but less often than once for every thousand times that someone asserts that they have.

EDIT: Since we are a global communi ...[text shortened]... nd that's far more distortion than you'll find in the hall of mirrors at the summer carnival).

Are the following examples of the 1 or the 999:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/2597481.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4398680.stm
    http://www.localsource.com/articles/2005/12/15/news_-_record/news/opinion/doc43a18c31e8df2420283621.txt
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 17:47
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    No Jew and no Muslim is objecting to it. This is merely an attempt by secularists to fight everything that is Christian. It is part of their ideological war against everything that dares to hint in the direction of Christianity. It shows how intolerant, narrow minded and fundamentalist they really are.
    And your attempt to force everyone to say "Merry Christmas", whether they like it or not, is supposed to be a mark of tolerance? When you talk about intolerant, narrow minded fundamentalism, why don't you take a good look in the mirror.
  9. London
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 17:54
    Originally posted by rwingett
    And your attempt to force everyone to say "Merry Christmas", whether they like it or not, is supposed to be a mark of tolerance? When you talk about intolerant, narrow minded fundamentalism, why don't you take a good look in the mirror.
    No one is forcing anyone to say "Merry Christmas" - that's a strawman. But, if someone wants to say "Merry Christmas", he/she shouldn't be prevented from doing so.

Wouldn't you agree?
  10. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 17:56
    In what way is he forcing everyone to say "Merry Christmas"? For those who celebrate Christmas, it's like saying "good night" and "hello". If you do not wish to answer to it, then surely you are entitled to it as much as refusing a greeting.
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 18:04
    No one is forcing anyone to say "Merry Christmas" - that's a strawman. But, if someone wants to say "Merry Christmas", he/she shouldn't be prevented from doing so.

Wouldn't you agree?
    So who's stopping him? He started this post specifically to say he thought non-christians should just shut up and say "Merry Christmas."
  12. London
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 18:08
    So who's stopping him? He started this post specifically to say he thought non-christians should just shut up and say "Merry Christmas."
    That's not what he's saying at all. He's making the point that the people who are usually cited as being offended by "Merry Christmas" (as opposed to "Happy Holidays" etc.) - Jews, Muslims and people of other faiths - are in fact not offended by such a greeting. His point is that this oft-cited myth is exactly that - a myth.
  13. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 18:101 edit
    Jon Stewart has had some wonderful things to say on this topic.

Check out "Jesus Christ!" at
    http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/the_daily_show/videos/most_recent/index.jhtml?start=1

There's an even better one that aired last night, but I can't seem to find it on the website.

Really the xians who whine about people offering other well-wishes than "Merry Christmas" need to get over their tired persecution complex. There are a lot of holidays in these two weeks, and it's just far more effective to cover them all with "Happy Holidays" or something similarly short and inclusive. As Jon said in the clip I'm trying to find, "You could greet everyone with 'Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year', but then again you might actually have sh*$ to get done!"

I'll a link to it if I find it.

Edit: Here it is. Funny as hell.
    http://onegoodmove.org/1gm/1gmarchive/002690.html#002690
  14. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 18:20
    Originally posted by Halitose
    In what way is he forcing everyone to say "Merry Christmas"? For those who celebrate Christmas, it's like saying "good night" and "hello". If you do not wish to answer to it, then surely you are entitled to it as much as refusing a greeting.
    I have no problem with some one saying "Merry Christmas." It's inoccuous and trite. I still say it to people that I know celebrate Christmas.

The bitching that xians are doing right now though stems from a misunderstanding of xian privilege in the US. If a business wants to encourage the use of a broader, more efficient well-wishing then that's their perogative. They are not censoring "Merry Christmas," but rather they are encouraging a more effective and appropriate greeting to the public in general. Moreover the close proximity of New Year's Day to Christmas makes the use of "Happy Holidays" even more reasonable. In fact, with so many holidays in these two weeks and with the heterogenous religious views of the US public, it seems ridiculous to support "Merry Christmas" as a universal salutation. It is only from a perspective of Christian privilege that some one can take any other season greeting as some sort of attack on their beliefs.
  15. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 18:483 edits
    I'm not forcing anybody. You are turning things upside down. People are forced by these fundamentalist secularists to say "Happy Holidays" ....... take a good look at this post of mine where it says:

"Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everybody"

See Rwingo ..... Now who's being intolerant here ? 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree