1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '19 00:33
    @philokalia said
    He and I believe that there is an element of revealed truth at play, that's why.

Which is also why we must be dependant on the revealed truth.
    But your beliefs and your perceptions and your certainties about what has or has not been "revealed" are just as prone to being the product a "tiny little human brain at work not knowing anything larger then a shoebox can hold" as my beliefs and perceptions and certainties about what has or has not been "revealed" are.

Your apparent endorsement of the 'tiny little human brain at work not knowing anything larger then a shoebox can hold' style of "argument" reflects poorly on you.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '19 00:35
    @philokalia said
    Which is also why we must be dependant on the revealed truth.
    Attributing a "tiny little human brain at work not knowing anything larger then a shoebox can hold" to people who believe different things from you [or galveston75] does not strengthen or substantiate your assertions about "the revealed truth".
  3. S. Korea
    Moves
    22 Jul '19 00:39
    @fmf said
    Attributing a "tiny little human brain at work not knowing anything larger then a shoebox can hold" to people who believe different things from you [or galveston75] does not strengthen or substantiate your assertions about "the revealed truth".
    Oh, was he really directing that at you? I imagine you'd roll with the punches since you don't mind trading insults and this is the internet, right?

But it is pretty common for Christians to say that we are not intelligent enough to understand the universe..

St. Augustine famously did that.
  4. S. Korea
    Moves
    22 Jul '19 00:40
    @fmf said
    But your beliefs and your perceptions and your certainties about what has or has not been "revealed" are just as prone to being the product a "tiny little human brain at work not knowing anything larger then a shoebox can hold" as my beliefs and perceptions and certainties about what has or has not been "revealed" are.

Your apparent endorsement of the 'tiny little human brain ...[text shortened]... ork not knowing anything larger then a shoebox can hold' style of "argument" reflects poorly on you.
    Sure you can reduce it to that argument that we fail to actually receive the word correctly or we hallucinated it or were duped, but we have faith we aren't and everything becomes debatable like that.

An argument can be made against anything.
    It doesn't mean it's a good argument, though
  5. S. Korea
    Moves
    22 Jul '19 00:42
    So are you admitting that you do exchange insults? I noticed you didn't reply to me pointing out that you very obviously refer to me and potentially others as weak-minded.

Surely you wouldn't be upset if other people engage in a similar level of discussion. It is the internet after all
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jul '19 00:47
    @galveston75 said
    I've heard just about anything that could be said when it comes to one not wanting to be involved with the JW's. I've had a couple family members that were once active JW's and personal friends that I grew up with who used to be active JW's.
    So not too many reasons out there that I've not heard of.
    The bible uses the examples of weeds along a road that spring up but ...[text shortened]... o worship him.
    But as the earth wide organization of JW's goes, we are doing more then fine.......
    Surely these “weeds in the road” could be the people whom you are Robbie used to claim could be entering the kingdom by another route other than being a member of the JW organisation?

Is your position now that a person DOES have to be a member of the Jehovah’s Witness church/organisation in order to be eligible for eternal life?
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jul '19 00:49
    @philokalia said
    Yet, in terms of Christianity, we must be weary about some of the interpretations that are offered which are self-serving and cherry-picked.
    Such as your assertion that God does not cast people into the lake of fire, they in fact cast themselves in?
  8. S. Korea
    Moves
    22 Jul '19 00:49
    @divegeester said
    Surely these “weeds in the road” could be the people whom you are Robbie used to claim could be entering the kingdom by another route other than being a member of the JW organisation?

Is your position now that a person DOES have to be a member of the Jehovah’s Witness church/organisation in order to be eligible for eternal life?
    The thread is about confusion about the Bible.

But here is Dive swooping in to make it about hell.

Beautiful.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jul '19 00:51
    @galveston75 said
    All your comments are against Jehovah without you seeming to understand that. A tiny little humans brain at work not knowing anything larger then a shoe box can hold.
    What an amazing argument! People disagree with YOU and they are disagreeing with “Jehovah” and have “tiny brains”.

Typical cultish mindset.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '19 00:52
    @philokalia said
    So are you admitting that you do exchange insults?
    Where?
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jul '19 00:55
    @philokalia said
    The thread is about confusion about the Bible.
    But here is Dive swooping in to make it about hell.
    Beautiful.
    I’m responding directly, with a quote, to something the thread author said.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '19 00:55
    @philokalia said
    Oh, was he really directing that at you?
    It was seemingly the only "argument" he was offering in reply to my post and with regard to the dissent of committed Christians who are ex-JWs. He has dismissed dozens and dozens of posts by countless contributors here with the same "argument" over the years.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '19 00:57
    @philokalia said
    Surely you wouldn't be upset if other people engage in a similar level of discussion. It is the internet after all
    What "similar level of discussion" are you talking about now? Similar to what?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '19 01:00
    @philokalia said
    But it is pretty common for Christians to say that we are not intelligent enough to understand the universe..
    It's a very weak "argument" for bolstering one's beliefs and discounting someone else's. I'd say it is something offered instead of a genuine "argument". Am I "not intelligent enough to understand" why I ought to be a JW?
  15. S. Korea
    Moves
    22 Jul '19 01:33
    @fmf said
    Well? Have the kind of trite analogies you come out with worked on you in your adult life? You didn't answer.
    Yes, of course, these "trite analogies" are things I find good & worthy of discussion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree