1. S. Korea
    Moves
    22 Jul '19 01:36
    @fmf said
    Where?
    LOL, you really can't follow this?

https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/spirituality/why-all-the-confusion-about-what-the-bible-says.181741/page-5#post_4072099

I think you honestly keep asking these questions over & over again specifically to be annoying.

You appeal to your own potential inability to follow a conversation in order to annoy people.

It's next level trolling -- Scientologists could learn a thing or two from you on this one, lol
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '19 02:001 edit
    @philokalia said
    Yes, of course, these "trite analogies" are things I find good & worthy of discussion.
    I am not asking you if you "like" them or if you think they are "good & worthy of discussion". I am asking you if they are analogies of sufficient intellectual traction to have worked on you ~ and been capable of altering your beliefs with regard to supernatural beings and phenomena ~ during your adult lifetime.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '19 02:02
    @philokalia said
    LOL, you really can't follow this?

https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/spirituality/why-all-the-confusion-about-what-the-bible-says.181741/page-5#post_4072099

I think you honestly keep asking these questions over & over again specifically to be annoying.

You appeal to your own potential inability to follow a conversation in order to annoy people.

It's next level trolling -- Scientologists could learn a thing or two from you on this one, lol
    I haven't insulted you. I don't think I have. I note you refuse to give a straight answer to my follow up question intended to settle the matter.
  4. S. Korea
    Moves
    22 Jul '19 04:08
    @fmf said
    I am not asking you if you "like" them or if you think they are "good & worthy of discussion". I am asking you if they are analogies of sufficient intellectual traction to have worked on you ~ and been capable of altering your beliefs with regard to supernatural beings and phenomena ~ during your adult lifetime.
    Oh, geez, bro, do you know what these analogies are initially for?

They are for illustrating parallels in a discussion.

You know, I cannot do it at all like Jesus Christ, but He used parables (which are not unlike analogies) all the time in order to illustrate a point with many applications and to appeal to the internal sense of justice when it is divorced from more sensitive topics and thus make the point more clear.

Or, in other cases, to specifically bring those sentiive moments into the mind's eye and to rally someone toward reformed behavior.

I am trying tod o the same. Of course, far more poorly. But, you see.
  5. S. Korea
    Moves
    22 Jul '19 04:08
    @fmf said
    I haven't insulted you. I don't think I have. I note you refuse to give a straight answer to my follow up question intended to settle the matter.
    I said that yes, I do take them seriously.

And your statemnt would then imply I am weak-minded.

How milquetoast do you have to be to back away from the already light natured insults you issue?
  6. S. Korea
    Moves
    22 Jul '19 04:09
    @philokalia said

And your statemnt would then imply I am weak-minded.

How milquetoast do you have to be to back away from the already light natured insults you issue?
    By the way -- I do recognize and acknowledge that this does imply you are milquetoast even though I did not call you it directly, but perhaps by your logic, since I did not directly say that you are milquetoast, I have actually cleverly avoided any sort of personal attack, right?

Am I doing it right, FMF?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '19 04:351 edit
    @philokalia said
    I am not asking you if you "like" them.

I'm not asking you if you think they are "good & worthy of discussion".

I'm not asking if you "take them seriously".

I'm not asking you if you have used them on people.

I'm not asking you if you find them useful.

I'm not asking you if you have met people who they work on.

I am asking you if they are the kind of analogies that have worked on you - intellectually speaking - persuaded you of something - during your adult lifetime.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '19 04:423 edits
    @philokalia said
    I haven't backed away from anything, I have asked you this: Have the kind of trite analogies you come out with me worked on you in your adult life?

You didn't answer.

You have tried to alter what I had asked you and answer your own version of it. You have done this several times.

You have wriggled for a couple of hours.

If the kind of gimmicky little analogies you have tried on me have worked on you in your adult life, and not when you were depressed or abusing any substances, I would certainly perceive you as having a soft-spot caused by your superstitious beliefs where you exhibit weak-mindedness and which make you come across as a lightweight.

They don't work on me. Maybe it's because I am not religious.

edit: Do little trite sayings by C.S.Lewis also work on you?
  9. S. Korea
    Moves
    22 Jul '19 05:19
    @fmf said
    I haven't backed away from anything, I have asked you this: Have the kind of trite analogies you come out with me worked on you in your adult life?

You didn't answer.

You have tried to alter what I had asked you and answer your own version of it. You have done this several times.

You have wriggled for a couple of hours.

If the kind of gimmicky little analogies you ...[text shortened]... ybe it's because I am not religious.

Wow, three edits to say all this!

I see why you like to be tight lipped: when anything stretches over a paragraph, it's time to write a couple drafts and meticulously go over them.

Man, I don't really know what to say. You're the sort of guy who can't follow a conversation (like on page 27 here: https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/spirituality/what-is-the-point-of-eternal-suffering.181749/page-27 ).

So I am supposed to have responsed as to whether these analogies have "worked" on me.

I do not know what is meant by that. I have never seen myself as having been "worked" over or on by some kind of analogy. In my opinion, something "works" as an analogy if it works in its context.

I do not think of my subjective self as part of the context.

If the kind of gimmicky little analogies you have tried on me have worked on you in your adult life, and not when you were depressed or abusing any substances, I would certainly perceive you as having a soft-spot caused by your superstitious beliefs where you exhibit weak-mindedness and which make you come across as a lightweight.

LOL, we are talking about the analogy as it works in the context of its argument!

Do you really think anyone looks at the piece of the argument and views it as somethign that has shaped them? No, the analogy explains some aspect of the arugment; the argument is what works, and it is merely supported by the analogy.

Perhaps you don't normally analzye or think along these lines. That's fine.

I guess this is why we miss each other in debates a lot, right?

LOL, am I still supposed to respect this use of the verb "work?"

Please don't hold me captive to your lexicon. I'll respect your words as yous ay them, of course, but I am not going to resort to using "work" in this way when I talk. It's lame.
  10. S. Korea
    Moves
    22 Jul '19 05:20
    @fmf said
    I am not asking you if you "like" them.

I'm not asking you if you think they are "good & worthy of discussion".

I'm not asking if you "take them seriously".

I'm not asking you if you have used them on people.

I'm not asking you if you find them useful.

I'm not asking you if you have met people who they work on.

I am asking you if they are the kind of analogies ...[text shortened]... e worked on you - intellectually speaking - persuaded you of something - during your adult lifetime.
    It's the wrong question and the post above explains why it is the wrong question.

I tried to treat it like it was a sensible question, where the word "worked" has a broad phrase, but you have narrowed it, like you tend to narrow everythign down, and thus have rendered it pointless & moot.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '19 05:23
    @philokalia said
    LOL, am I still supposed to respect this use of the verb "work?"

Please don't hold me captive to your lexicon. I'll respect your words as yous ay them, of course, but I am not going to resort to using "work" in this way when I talk. It's lame.
    British English, perhaps. Nothing wrong with it.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '19 05:30
    @philokalia said
    So I am supposed to have responsed as to whether these analogies have "worked" on me.

I do not know what is meant by that.
    It's standard English.

~ Does this argument "work"? ~ I tried using an analogy, but it didn't "work" either. ~ If talking about the morality of it is unsuccessful, maybe the threat of eternal torment will "work". ~ Forget the quotes from C.S.Lewis, they are not "working"; try something else. ~ My attempt to convert him would have "worked" if he hadn't snapped out of his suicidal depression. ~

Have the kind of trite analogies you come out with worked on you in your adult life?
  13. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    23 Jul '19 20:411 edit
    @divegeester said
    What an amazing argument! People disagree with YOU and they are disagreeing with “Jehovah” and have “tiny brains”.

Typical cultish mindset.
    Sounds about right to me. By the way, how's your brain feeling today?

Sorry just kidding. I had to say that...Lol
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Jul '19 06:57
    @galveston75 said
    Sounds about right to me.
    From your own mouth.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree