1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 09:45
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    Our accepting everything everyone else believes isn't important, it is being accepted by
    Jesus Christ, and I mean that happening NOW in this life, being given God's Spirit, and
    with that, that we love one another. When we are with God and God's love is our
    purpose in what we do the small stuff should remain small stuff. The fruit of the Spirit will
    be ...[text shortened]... part of life, since He can take us through all the trials
    of this life, both the good and bad.
    Thanks.

Are you also suggesting that it is possible to be a Christian and not accept the whole Bible as trustworthy? I think you are, please confirm.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 09:47
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Thanks.

Are you also suggesting that it is possible to be a Christian and not accept the whole Bible as trustworthy? I think you are, please confirm.
    My answer was in my post.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 09:511 edit
    Christians...

Is it possible to be a Christian, to be saved, but to also accept that the bible is not entirely trustworthy?

Sonship - yes
    KellyJay - yes (I think)
    Rajk999 - yes
    divegeester - yes
    dj2becker - no

Anyone else?

However I feel that those who said yes are somewhat backing away from their affirmation; I could be misinterpreting posts, apologies if am.

Let’s try to be unequivocal if we can please.

Thanks
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 10:12
    Christians...

Is it possible to be a Christian, to be saved, but to also accept that the bible is not entirely trustworthy?

Sonship - yes
    KellyJay - yes (I think)
    Rajk999 - yes
    divegeester - yes
    dj2becker - no

Anyone else?

However I feel that those who said yes are somewhat backing away from their affirmation; I could be misinterpreting posts, apologies if am.

Thanks
    Be clear yourself here too, are you suggesting the Bible isn't trustworthy?
    Are you asking, can we be unsure about parts of it as true to the best of our understanding?
    There is a difference, if you attempting to suggest we agree it isn't trustworthy, put me down
    as a no, it is. If you are asking do we have to understand and accept all parts we may have
    an issue with, it depends on the parts. Which would mean some things are not as
    important and others and you could put me down as a yes.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 11:361 edit
    Christians...

Sonship - yes
    KellyJay - yes (I think)
    Rajk999 - yes
    divegeester - yes
    dj2becker - no

Anyone else?

Thanks
    I think you are jumping to a conclusion.

The OP as I read it asked a question ... WHY?
    I didn't see the issue being possible or not possible ... but why not trust all of the Scriptures ? Which is a perfectly valid question.

The emphasis is mine below on the OP.

If you don't believe the entire Bible is divinely inspired and is completely trustworthy in totality, ... WHY ... do you believe any of it at all?

It makes absolutely no sense to pick only the parts you like and brush the parts you don't like under the carpet and pretend that they don't exist. That is the most intellectually dishonest behavior I have ever seen. It's either all or nothing.

I don't see dj2becker's point to be other than asking the doubter to explain his rationale for his lingering mistrust in God's word.
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 11:421 edit
    Originally posted by @velns
    I don’t carry a strong opinion on this topic but I do remember you describing your all or nothing experiences in a Christian cult and I therefore find myself very surprised to see you propsosing the same cultish philosophy in your approach to the bible.
    Which 'all or nothing experiences' are you specifically talking about? The cult I was a part of used to enforce rules that weren't in the Bible.
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 11:441 edit
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    Jesus Christ has the words of eternal life.
    Sure and if you believe the gospel writers were divinely inspired to accurately convey those words why wouldn't the rest of the Bible also be divinely inspired? Do you believe the gospel writers were only divinely inspired while they were writing down the words of Jesus and not the rest of the time?
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 11:45
    Christians...

Sonship - yes
    KellyJay - yes (I think)
    Rajk999 - yes
    divegeester - yes
    dj2becker - no

Anyone else?

Thanks
    How on earth did you reach that conclusion based on what I wrote? 🙄
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 11:54
    Christians...

Sonship - yes
    KellyJay - yes (I think)
    Rajk999 - yes
    divegeester - yes
    dj2becker - no

Anyone else?

Thanks
    You seem to be totally missing the point as usual. The reason for the OP was to establish how those (who don't trust all of the Bible) know which parts to trust and which parts to distrust.
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 12:17
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    Sure and if you believe the gospel writers were divinely inspired to accurately convey those words why wouldn't the rest of the Bible also be divinely inspired? Do you believe the gospel writers were only divinely inspired while they were writing down the words of Jesus and not the rest of the time?
    You asked a question. I answered
    I asked a question. You ignored it
    You are asking another question.

What you you think I should do?
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 12:19
    You seem to be totally missing the point as usual. The reason for the OP was to establish how those (who don't trust all of the Bible) know which parts to trust and which parts to distrust.
    This was answered already. Jesus said to trust him. Trust him means trusting in his words in particularly those words what lead to eternal life. Jesus words are spirit and life. They give eternal life.
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 12:24
    This was answered already. Jesus said to trust him. Trust him means trusting in his words in particularly those words what lead to eternal life. Jesus words are spirit and life. They give eternal life.
    So do you believe only the words of Jesus happen to be divinely inspired and the rest of the Bible isn't or am I missing something?
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 12:28
    Books were removed from the Bible over the centuries. Im not talking about words changing.

Are you interested in being a bible scholar or eternal life?
    Why can't I be interested in both?
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 12:29
    So do you believe only the words of Jesus happen to be divinely inspired and the rest of the Bible isn't or am I missing something?
    Yes you are missing some brains.
    All divinely inspired words do not lead to eternal life
    Jesus has the words of eternal life.
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 12:361 edit
    Yes you are missing some brains.
    All divinely inspired words do not lead to eternal life
    Jesus has the words of eternal life.
    Do you reckon the words spoken by Jesus in Matthew 5:22 should be ignored? You seem to ignore them quite a lot.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree