1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 19:11
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    His words speak for themselves. How you interpret them to mean He was cleansing the Temple of the sacrificial system is beyond me. I think you’re just making things up to fit your ideology, rather than allowing Jesus to speak for Himself.
    His words speak for themselves.

Yes. And His words say, “It is written: 'My house will be called a house of prayer' but you are making it ‘a den of robbers.'"

They do not say that "It was because they were conducting commerce in a House of God"..

True or Not True?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 19:26
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    [b]His words speak for themselves.

Yes. And His words say, “It is written: 'My house will be called a house of prayer' but you are making it ‘a den of robbers.'"

They do not say that "It was because they were conducting commerce in a House of God"..

True or Not True?[/b]
    I’m content to let Jesus Christ speak for Himself. I wish you were.
  3. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 19:30
    That's ToO's main focus, to let the words of Jesus speak for themselves.

How have you missed that?
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 19:32
    Clearly the correct answer to the question I keep putting to you is, "Not True".

You simply don't want to admit it. You hate truth.

I wish you would allow Jesus' words to speak for themselves. Clearly you don't.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 19:32
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    That's ToO's main focus, to let the words of Jesus speak for themselves.

How have you missed that?
    Then why does He ignore so much of what Jesus says?
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 19:341 edit
    Then why does He ignore so much of what Jesus says?
    I don't. You assign meaning to His words that is not there. What I "ignore", is the meaning YOU assign to His words. You seem to lack the integrity to tell the difference.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 19:371 edit
    Clearly the correct answer to the question I keep putting to you is, "Not True".

You simply don't want to admit it. You hate truth.

I wish you would allow Jesus' words to speak for themselves. Clearly you don't.
    I’m content to allow Jesus’ words to stand on their own and allow the reader of His words to properly understand them.

You seem to be trying to force a square peg into a round hole in claiming Jesus, in that passage from Scripture, was doing away with the sacrificisl system. Jesus said no such thing and you can’t make a credible case - or any case - that He meant that.
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 19:47
    I’m content to allow Jesus’ words to stand on their own and allow the reader of His words to properly understand them.

You seem to be trying to force a square peg into a round hole in claiming Jesus, in that passage from Scripture, was doing away with the sacrificisl system. Jesus said no such thing and you can’t make a credible case - or any case - that He meant that.
    You seem to be trying to force a square peg into a round hole in claiming Jesus, in that passage from Scripture, was doing away with the sacrificisl system.

That's not what I was saying. You do this a lot. You read something, assign a meaning that is not there and think that the meaning that you assigned is what was said.

You do this with what other posters write and you do it with scripture.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 19:56
    [b]You seem to be trying to force a square peg into a round hole in claiming Jesus, in that passage from Scripture, was doing away with the sacrificisl system.

That's not what I was saying. You do this a lot. You read something, assign a meaning that is not there and think that the meaning that you assigned is what was said.

You do this with what other posters write and you do it with scripture.[/b]
    You can deny it all you want, and I frankly don’t blame you for trying. I’d be willing to pretend you didn’t say what you said to spare you further embarrassment. I essentially made the same offer to Ghost a few moments ago about his train wreck of an analogy.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 20:00
    You can deny it all you want, and I frankly don’t blame you for trying. I’d be willing to pretend you didn’t say what you said to spare you further embarrassment. I essentially made the same offer to Ghost a few moments ago about his train wreck of an analogy.
    You have nothing to offer
  11. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 20:53
    The reason the analogy went over your head is because intellectually you're very very small.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 21:0613 edits
    I was not " claiming Jesus, in that passage from Scripture, was doing away with the sacrificisl system". That the sacrificial system had been abrogated by God was a recurring theme amongst the late OT prophets.

So, Jesus wasn't "doing away with the sacrificial system", it had already been done away with.

>>For that matter, God had shut the door on all forms of vicarious atonement.
    Ezekiel 18
    30“Therefore I will judge you...each according to his conduct,” declares the Lord GOD. “Repent and turn away from all your transgressions, so that iniquity may not become a stumbling block to you.
    Ezekiel 33
    18“When the righteous turns from his righteousness and commits iniquity, then he shall die in it. 19“But when the wicked turns from his wickedness and practices justice and righteousness, he will live by them. 20“Yet you say, ‘The way of the Lord is not right.’ O house of Israel, I will judge each of you according to his ways.

>>This was recognized by Jesus in the following:
    Matthew 16
    27“For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and WILL THEN REPAY EVERY MAN ACCORDING TO HIS DEEDS.
    John 5
    28“Do not marvel at this; for an hour is coming, in which all who are in the tombs will hear His voice, 29and will come forth; those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment.

>>Each individual is judged by his deeds. Only the truly righteous have "life". God wants loyalty. No more vicarious atonement.<<

Jesus reflected this with the cleansing of the temple.Those who humbly and earnestly seek truth will recognize that His explanation in Matthew 21:13 points to this.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 21:461 edit
    I was not " claiming Jesus, in that passage from Scripture, was doing away with the sacrificisl system". That the sacrificial system had been abrogated by God was a recurring theme amongst the late OT prophets.

So, Jesus wasn't "doing away with the sacrificial system", it had already been done away with.

>>For that matter, God had shut the door o ...[text shortened]... ly and earnestly seek truth will recognize that His explanation in Matthew 21:13 points to this.
    You’re just inventing an interpretation out of whole cloth to fit your false doctrine.

What Jesus did in those verses is clear and the reason He did it is clearly stated in His own words. You keep trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Give it up already, amigo.
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 22:224 edits
    You’re just inventing an interpretation out of whole cloth to fit your false doctrine.

What Jesus did in those verses is clear and the reason He did it is clearly stated in His own words. You keep trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Give it up already, amigo.
    Not surprised that you didn't actually address any of the points made in my post. It's what you do.

What Jesus did in those verses is clear and the reason He did it is clearly stated in His own words.
    Since it's so clear you shouldn't have any problem explaining exactly how it makes sense to have gone from...:
    “It is written: 'My house will be called a house of prayer' but you are making it ‘a den of robbers.'".
    ..to:
    "It was because they were conducting commerce in a House of God".

In particular, how does it make sense to go from "making it a den of robbers" to "conducting commerce"? Jesus calls it a "making it a den of robbers". You interpret it as "conducting commerce".

Here's your big chance to exhibit your clarity of thought. Go for it.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 22:34
    An important reason that Jesus cleansed the temple was because the late OT prophets had revealed that God no longer wanted sacrifices. God wanted loyalty instead. Yet this important reason rarely if ever gets mentioned.

The entire sacrificial system had been abrogated, yet people were carrying on as if sacrifices were still of value to God. Jesus unde ...[text shortened]... ce.

Why do you think that this important reason rarely if ever gets mentioned by Christians?
    Jesus gave the reason.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree