Why does God exist?

Why does God exist?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

j

Moves
23 Jun 09
2 edits

What shall separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus?

Black Holes ?

NO!

What about asteriods plunging into the earth ?

No.

What about Evolution in the future, or the dying out of the sun, or the colliding of galaxies, or the rise of robots in rebellion, or World War III.

Nothing shall separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Now ...... why does God exist ? Don't know. We're loved with an eternal and everlasting Love. Is it important why He exists?

Moves
23 Jun 09

Originally posted by jaywill
What shall separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus?

Black Holes ?

NO!

What about asteriods plunging into the earth ?

No.

What about Evolution in the future, or the dying out of the sun, or the colliding of galaxies, or the rise of robots in rebellion, or World War III.

Nothing shall separate us from the love of God in Christ ...[text shortened]... know. We're [b]loved
with an eternal and everlasting Love. Is it important why He exists?[/b]
Sorry, I don't believe you.

K
Chess Samurai

Yes

Moves
24 Jun 09

What is time ?
TIME is a set of units of measurement that are used for measuring the passing of human existance.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
24 Jun 09

These are deep questions. Why does God exist is a question I can't hope to answer.

However, in my experience an unspeakable peace about existence as a whole comes over my whole being when I consider the love of God. Somehow knowing the great love of God in Christ Jesus makes the whole universe more sensible and peaceful to my being:

It's called Dopamine. Your brain releases it to comfort you.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
24 Jun 09
3 edits

Originally posted by Lord Shark
"We know that mountains exist. We can see and touch them. We can neither see nor touch God. Belief is not evidence."
Nor did I say that it was. I just pointed out that knowing that something exists can be logically separate from knowing why something exists. I did this to demonstrate that your 'underlying point':"If you cannot explain WHY Go ...[text shortened]... is invalid.

If you can't see why this is so, I'd be happy to explain further.

[/i]Your argument pre-supposes that mountains exist. We can all agree that mountains exist. We have real proof. From there it is fair to ask Why mountains exist.

But,

We cannot pre-suppose that god exists. We have no real proof. Therefore, we cannot use mountains and god in equal measures.

You need to use another example to back your argument. Your example must include something that we do not know exists.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
24 Jun 09

"So, god must exist in order for the theists theory to work....?

classic"

This is the Argument From Contingency, I'm sure you have heard of it as you have correctly identified it as a classic.

Just in case you are unclear on the distinction between this and the kalam argument, this is a useful link:
http://www.philosophyofreligion.info/theistic-proofs/the-cosmological-argument/the-argument-from-contingency/
I didn't spend 4 years in Uni doing undergrad work in Relgious Studies for nothing.

I understand the arguments. It does us no good to recount old arguments. Do you have anything new?

Why does God exist?

d

Moves
24 Jun 09

The question is not "Does God exist?" it's "Why does God exist"

F

Moves
24 Jun 09

Originally posted by daniel58
The question is not "Does God exist?" it's "Why does God exist"
The question "Why does God exist?" is without meaning if there is no answer to the question "Does God exist?".
Or it has the same meaning to ask "Why does the Tooth Ferrie exist?".

d

Moves
24 Jun 09

The tooth fairy doesn't exist, but if you want to ask "Does God exist" start a new thread.

Moves
24 Jun 09
1 edit

Originally posted by uzless
[/i]Your argument pre-supposes that mountains exist. We can all agree that mountains exist. We have real proof. From there it is fair to ask Why mountains exist.

But,

We cannot pre-suppose that god exists. We have no real proof. Therefore, we cannot use mountains and god in equal measures.

You need to use another example to back your argument. Your example must include something that we do not know exists.
My example illustrates that we can know that something exists without knowing why it exists. This is enough to render your conclusion invalid.

The example presupposes that we share a belief that mountains exist. It depends on this for its explanatory value. However you are wrong if you seek to imply a structural flaw, since it is true that I could know that boojums exist even if I didn't know why they existed.

Moves
24 Jun 09

Originally posted by uzless
I didn't spend 4 years in Uni doing undergrad work in Relgious Studies for nothing.

I understand the arguments. It does us no good to recount old arguments. Do you have anything new?

Why does God exist?
So if you understand these arguments why did you respond with your 'classic' comment? If you understood that to ask why a necessary being exists is problematic, why didn't you respond in such a way as to disclose that knowledge?

Do I have anything new????? Are you mad? Really really clever people have been at this for ages, and I suppose we could do a new ideas competition between us, but it wouldn't amount to a hill of beans would it?

As to the question "Why does god exist?", I have no answer, I don't believe in god, but if I did I would probably construe god as a necessary being anyway, and thus suppose your question meaningless.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
25 Jun 09

Do I have anything new????? Are you mad? Really really clever people have been at this for ages, .
People said the same thing to Einstein, the same thing to Newton, to Kant, to Les Paul, to Freud. Yet, they all came up with new ideas. We should never accept that we have examined every issue from every side and that new insights are not to be gained by a re-examination.

If not you, then who?

Wisconsin

Moves
25 Jun 09

We are all asking the wrong people this question. Lets ask God why he exists. He will answer!

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
25 Jun 09
1 edit

i told you this thread would get ridiculous
(this whole page minus knightwulfe's comment)

F

Moves
25 Jun 09
1 edit

Originally posted by daniel58
The tooth fairy doesn't exist, but if you want to ask "Does God exist" start a new thread.
If I ask you why the tooth fairy doesn't exist, your exact answer can be applied to the question why god doesn't exist as well. Both are mythical beings.

I don't have to start a new thread. I answered another posting, a very relevant question of this thread, by the way.