1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Dec '22 07:58
    ”According to a 2011 Gallup Poll, 30% of Americans believe that the Bible is the actual word of God and is to be taken literally. This is, therefore, the position of tens of millions of Americans. Presumably many, if not most, literalists believe that we merely need to consult the Bible and then the solutions to the moral and other problems we face will be unambiguously revealed. Of concern, the belief in a literal reading leaves no room for competing beliefs or understandings of the Bible. All other views are systematically condemned as wrong. This literalism has thus fostered intolerance towards others who hold different interpretations of the biblical texts”

Randall S. Firestone, J.D.
    Professor of Philosophy
    El Camino College

Mark 9:47 “And if your eye causes you to sin, tear it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into hell.”

Mark 9:45 “And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life lame than with two feet to be thrown into hell.”

John 6:51 “I am the living bread that came down out of heaven; if anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread also which I will give for the life of the world is My flesh.”

Luke 14:26 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.”

John 6:54 “Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.”

Matthew 26:26-28 “Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, “Take, eat; this is my body.” And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink of it, all of you, for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.”

Matthew 8:21-22 “Another of the disciples said to him, “Lord, let me first go and bury my father.” And Jesus said to him, “Follow me, and leave the dead to bury their own dead.”

Old Testament

She lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses. Ezekiel 23:20

Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material. Leviticus 19:19

Ye shall not round the corners of your heads. Leviticus 19:27

When men fight with one another, and the wife of the one draws near to rescue her husband from the hand of him who is beating him, and puts out her hand and seizes him by the private parts, then you shall cut off her hand. Deuteronomy 25:11-12

Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. "Get out of here, baldy!" they said. "Get out of here, baldy!" He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys. 2 Kings 2:23-25

Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man intimately. But all the girls who have not known man intimately, spare for yourselves. Numbers 31:17-18

No one whose testicles are crushed or whose penis is cut off shall be admitted to the assembly of the LORD. Deuteronomy 23:1

Other strange ideas, non literal accounts and doctrines

Talking snakes and talking donkeys

All powerful all knowing all loving God making a man and a woman then allowing a demon to mess with them, then booting them out of his paradise to make their own way in a terrifying world.

Same God later is surprised that humans are awful so decides to “wipe them from the face of the earth” AND all the animals!

Same God saves one family from the entire world population in an act of ultimate spiritual ethnic cleansing, but is still surprised generations later that humans are in a mess.

Same God decides to send his only son, not himself…his son, to sorts it all out knowing he will be executed.

Same God tells just a handful of illiterate people to tell the rest of the world that if they believe in his son (who has just been executed) then he won’t torture them for eternity … as long as they don’t mess up again before they die, because oh yes … salvation can be lost.

But hey… despite my protestations that I’m a Christian, according to Kelly Jay I’m actually an antichrist and aligned with atheists because I find much of this loosely held together ancient text to be utter nonsense
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Dec '22 10:141 edit
    @divegeester said
    [i]”According to a 2011 Gallup Poll, 30% of Americans believe that the Bible is the actual word of God and is to be taken literally. This is, therefore, the position of tens of millions of Americans. Presumably many, if not most, literalists believe that we merely need to consult the Bible and then the solutions to the moral and other problems we face will be unambiguousl ...[text shortened]... ed with atheists because I find much of this loosely held together ancient text to be utter nonsense
    Don't lie, I have never called you an Anti-Christ, but someone who does not
    take the scriptures as the Word of God. You agree with Anti-Christ and Athiest
    more times than not, and if you wonder why I say that, start reading your posts.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Dec '22 11:19
    @kellyjay said
    You agree with Anti-Christ and Athiest
    more times than not
    I think divegeester's faith in Jesus Christ and his belief that Jesus Christ conquered death by laying down his life to forgive our "sins" is a HUGE difference and disagreement between divegeester and me, an atheist. You seem to be underplaying it.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Dec '22 12:45
    @kellyjay said
    Don't lie, I have never called you an Anti-Christ
    Ok well you say I agree with anti christ.

I don’t think I do, but if you want to keep throwing out the nastiest insults one Christian can say to another as a substitute for you not being able to defend your own position, then you have at it.

As you can see FMF, an atheist is repeatedly pointing out the vast difference in our views on Jesus Christ.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Dec '22 12:47
    @kellyjay said, but someone who does not
    take the scriptures as the Word of God.
    I have repeatedly told you that I believe the bible contains a Christian spiritual narrative and also some things (see my OP) which are utterly ludicrous and which I therefore choose to reject as being part of that narrative.
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 Dec '22 22:20
    @divegeester said
    [i]”According to a 2011 Gallup Poll, 30% of Americans believe that the Bible is the actual word of God and is to be taken literally. This is, therefore, the position of tens of millions of Americans. Presumably many, if not most, literalists believe that we merely need to consult the Bible and then the solutions to the moral and other problems we face will be unambiguousl ...[text shortened]... ed with atheists because I find much of this loosely held together ancient text to be utter nonsense
    Even the most hardened of literalists must admit some of those examples are figures of speech.

But once they do, the question is, how did you determine that? You interpreted, used your mind, etc.

That shatters the delusional dream of turning off one's brain and getting all the truth and answers from a book.

With that goes any sense of superiority over others who admit interpreting the text.

There's no way to read any text other than through our own clouded vision. Fact.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Dec '22 22:43
    @bigdogg said
    Even the most hardened of literalists must admit some of those examples are figures of speech.

But once they do, the question is, how did you determine that? You interpreted, used your mind, etc.

That shatters the delusional dream of turning off one's brain and getting all the truth and answers from a book.

With that goes any sense of superiority over others who admi ...[text shortened]... reting the text.

There's no way to read any text other than through our own clouded vision. Fact.
    I agree it must be taken in context there are visions, dreams, metaphors, parables, even figures of speech but none of that voids it is scripture, Word of God.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Dec '22 02:39
    @kellyjay said
    but none of that voids it is scripture, Word of God.
    This is just your handed-down personal opinion, so other than that, there is nothing to “void”.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Dec '22 04:01
    @divegeester said
    This is just your handed-down personal opinion, so other than that, there is nothing to “void”.
    Amazing how you can talk about something and fail to see it at the same time.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Dec '22 04:351 edit
    @kellyjay said
    Is your opinion that the Bible is all divinely inspires NOT something that was handed-down to you, then? It's odd that you think someone ELSE is missing the point when it so obviously you who is.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Dec '22 04:48
    @kellyjay said
    You expressing your handed down personal opinion about the bible being the complete, exclusive, inerrant word of god, is the same as you expressing your personal opinion that I’m agreeing with the Antichrist and aligning with atheists. Just personal opinion.

I on the other hand would NEVER accuse another Christian of being in alignment with atheists and agreeing with the antichrist. That’s the fundamental difference between us and how we express our personal opinions.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Dec '22 09:25
    @divegeester said
    You expressing your handed down personal opinion about the bible being the complete, exclusive, inerrant word of god, is the same as you expressing your personal opinion that I’m agreeing with the Antichrist and aligning with atheists. Just personal opinion.

I on the other hand would NEVER accuse another Christian of being in alignment with atheists and agreeing with ...[text shortened]... e antichrist. That’s the fundamental difference between us and how we express our personal opinions.
    You miss the mark dive, taking all conversations down to you and others instead of
    the one thing that matters.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Dec '22 11:18
    @kellyjay said
    You miss the mark dive, taking all conversations down to you and others instead of
    But the conversation between you and him IS simply between you and him. That conversation may well be about "the one thing that matters", but all that you and divegeester have to offer about it are your personal perspectives and subjective opinions.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Dec '22 17:29
    @kellyjay said
    No, my post to you is laser focused and spot on target.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Dec '22 19:09
    @divegeester said
    No, my post to you is laser focused and spot on target.
    Really, what is your target dive?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree