Why much of the bible cannot be taken literally

Why much of the bible cannot be taken literally

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
21 Dec 22

@moonbus said
You confuse reasons and causes. There's no point in continuing this discussion until you get your categories straightened out.
Aren’t you the one who was complaining about explanations that don’t explain?

Über-Nerd

Moves
22 Dec 22

@divegeester said
Simple question then KellyJay …

Is the bible the complete, exclusive and inerrant word of God?

There are three possible answers:

1) yes
2) no
3) don’t know/not sure

Which is yours ?
That is rather a tall order, you know. “Exclusive”: hardly. At least a few bits written by humans, not God, must have crept in there somewhere. “Complete”: depends. Yes, in the sense that it contains everything a human needs to know for his salvation. No in the sense that it is not a compendium of all truths pertaining to the universe and therefore does not answer every possible question a human might pose about life, the universe, and everything. “Inerrant”: depends. If one tries to take every word in it in a material-factual it-really-happened-like-this way, no, it isn’t inerrant. At least some of it has to be taken metaphorically, allegorically, as moral injunction, or some other way to avoid some obvious clashes with reality. There was no literal factual historical flood which covered the whole planet to above level of the highest peaks in Nepal, for example; not while mammals were alive anyway. That bit is either an allegory, or it refers to a local flood.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
22 Dec 22

@moonbus said
That is rather a tall order, you know. “Exclusive”: hardly. At least a few bits written by humans, not God, must have crept in there somewhere. “Complete”: depends. Yes, in the sense that it contains everything a human needs to know for his salvation. No in the sense that it is not a compendium of all truths pertaining to the universe and therefore does not answer every possi ...[text shortened]... not while mammals were alive anyway. That bit is either an allegory, or it refers to a local flood.
Kellyjay believes that the bible is the complete, exclusive and inerrant word of god, but he has recently become very reticent to say so because I keep asking him for evidence and he can’t provide it.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
22 Dec 22

@divegeester said
Kellyjay believes that the bible is the complete, exclusive and inerrant word of god, but he has recently become very reticent to say so because I keep asking him for evidence and he can’t provide it.
Show me where I have said these things before, you speak about my beliefs as if
you know them. You cannot produce those quotes, yet you speak as if you know
which is what you do when speaking about the Bible, taking text and making it
what you want.

F

Moves
22 Dec 22

@kellyjay said
you know them. You cannot produce those quotes.
Gosh! Is the new stance you're taking that you DON'T "believe that the Bible is the complete, exclusive and inerrant word of God"?

Über-Nerd

Moves
22 Dec 22
3 edits

@divegeester said
Ah. Yes. It would be a tall order to provide evidence of exclusivity alone, quite apart from providing evidence of completeness and inerrancy as well. I think I’d walk away from attempting to provide evidence of all that, even if I believed it.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
22 Dec 22
1 edit

@moonbus said
It would be a tall order to provide evidence of exclusivity alone, quite apart from providing evidence of completeness and inerrancy as well. I think I’d walk away from attempting to provide evidence of all that, even if I believed it.
Which of course is exactly what Kellyjay is awkwardly trying to do.

What a bizarre cognitive dissonance; fully believing something but not willing to admit it.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
22 Dec 22

@kellyjay said
you know them. You cannot produce those quotes, yet you speak as if you know
which is what you do when speaking about the Bible, taking text and making it
what you want.
Then really should jump at the chance to prove me wrong by stating that you don’t believe the bible to be the complete, exclusive and inerrant word of God…

What an odd situation you are in.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
22 Dec 22

@divegeester said
Then really should jump at the chance to prove me wrong by stating that you don’t believe the bible to be the complete, exclusive and inerrant word of God…

What an odd situation you are in.
I will defend that which I say in the context I say it, defending your views of what you think I say and mean falls on you.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
22 Dec 22

@kellyjay said
I will defend that which I say in the context I say it, defending your views of what you think I say and mean falls on you.
Well I’m pleased that neither of us seem to believe that the bible is the complete, exclusive and inerrant word of God.

Something for us to build a mutual discussion foundation on in 2023.

Über-Nerd

Moves
22 Dec 22
1 edit

@divegeester said
Which of course is exactly what Kellyjay is awkwardly trying to do.

What a bizarre cognitive dissonance; fully believing something but not willing to admit it.
There is a severe cognitive disconnect in people who, on the one hand, use computers, fly in jet airplanes, get themselves MRI scanned at the drop of a hat, and yet, on the other, think the universe is only about 6,000 years old and that humans and dinosaurs walked the Earth together. This is possible only with mental contortions and extreme compartmentalization.

I know of top-notch scientists who are Christians, but I don't think there are any serious scientists who get their work peer reviewed in serious scientific journals and who are biblical literalists.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
22 Dec 22

@divegeester said
Well I’m pleased that neither of us seem to believe that the bible is the complete, exclusive and inerrant word of God.

Something for us to build a mutual discussion foundation on in 2023.
You speak for self on every topic, when you start telling others what another thinks no matter who it is, or what another feels only shows how arrogant you are!

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
22 Dec 22

@kellyjay said
You speak for self on every topic, when you start telling others what another thinks no matter who it is, or what another feels only shows how arrogant you are!
As I said I’m pleased that we both agree that bible isn’t the complete, exclusive and inerrant word of god.

Let’s together focus on what we agree on.

Über-Nerd

Moves
22 Dec 22
2 edits

@divegeester said
As I said I’m pleased that we both agree that bible isn’t the complete, exclusive and inerrant word of god.

Let’s together focus on what we agree on.
Focus on commonalities. Guinness or Murphy's? I can go either way, but given both, I prefer Murphy's.

Oh yes, and love yourself, love your neighbour, love God, and forgive everyone.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
22 Dec 22

@moonbus said
There is a severe cognitive disconnect in people who, on the one hand, use computers, fly in jet airplanes, get themselves MRI scanned at the drop of a hat, and yet, on the other, think the universe is only about 6,000 years old and that humans and dinosaurs walked the Earth together. This is possible only with mental contortions and extreme compartmentalization.

I know of ...[text shortened]... get their work peer reviewed in serious scientific journals and who are biblical literalists.
Depending upon what is true or not you may be the one disconnected from reality.