1. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    08 Nov '05 13:55
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    You got that one wrong pal. The founding fathers of Christianity were NOT Marxists! 😀
    No, but maybe Marx was a closet Christian! 😉
  2. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    08 Nov '05 13:581 edit
    Originally posted by David C
    No, but maybe Marx was a closet Christian! 😉
    Did he ever come out of it?

P.S. This winking between you and dj is unnerving... is it some sort of secret message? Lemme try... 😉😉😉
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Nov '05 14:031 edit
    I have, on several occasions. Nicaea was a farce, and Constantine worshipped Deus Sol Invictus. His 'conversion' was purely cosmetic, or worse: a total fabrication.

According to the New Catholic Encyclopedia of 1967, article on Constantine the Great: Sol Invictus had been adopted by the Church of Rome as evidenced by Christ as Apollo-Helios in a ...[text shortened]... ginning of the third century "Sun of Justice" was used as a title of Christ.

Happy?
    So do you think that the Bible is mumbo-jumbo but the New Catholic Encyclopedia of 1967 is the absolute truth?

Edit: 😉 (I forgot)
  4. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    08 Nov '05 14:14
    Originally posted by Halitose

P.S. This winking between you and dj is unnerving... is it some sort of secret message? Lemme try... 😉😉😉

Dunno. Ask RatX. He's the expert on that sort of thing.

Yeah, it's code for "Don't take any of it too seriously. Ain't no one here gonna change their views."
  5. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    08 Nov '05 14:20
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    So do you think that the Bible is mumbo-jumbo but the New Catholic Encyclopedia of 1967 is the absolute truth?

Edit: 😉 (I forgot)
    Not at all, on either count. Just because I unequivocally reject the bible as any sort of "WORD OF GOD", or Jesus as any sort of historical reality, does not mean I think it's useless as a tool for spiritual enlightenment.
  6. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    08 Nov '05 14:42
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I don't have the time to summarise the story of David Barton, a revisionist Christian who fabricated the quotes you used above, but the link I posted (http://www.ntskeptics.org/1997/1997june/june1997.htm) gives the story.

Here's a snippet:

Church & State editor Rob Boston, who also authored books such as Why The Religious Right is Wrong about ...[text shortened]... minent figures, that are now considered to be suspect or outright false.9

OK, Hal? Satisfied?
    Here's a link you might be interested in, probably still biased towards the right, but more objective IMO:

http://watkins.gospelcom.net/foundingfathers.htm
  7. London
    Moves
    08 Nov '05 14:53
    I have, on several occasions. Nicaea was a farce, and Constantine worshipped Deus Sol Invictus. His 'conversion' was purely cosmetic, or worse: a total fabrication.

According to the New Catholic Encyclopedia of 1967, article on Constantine the Great: Sol Invictus had been adopted by the Church of Rome as evidenced by Christ as Apollo-Helios in a ...[text shortened]... ginning of the third century "Sun of Justice" was used as a title of Christ.

Happy?
    How does this show that the Church Fathers rewrote history? Or that Nicaea was a farce?
  8. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    08 Nov '05 15:18
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    How does this show that the Church Fathers rewrote history? Or that Nicaea was a farce?
    You're a bright fellow, Hammy...figure it out.
  9. London
    Moves
    08 Nov '05 15:34
    You're a bright fellow, Hammy...figure it out.
    That's just being lazy.

Alright, let me help you out: For the claim that the Church Fathers "rewrote" history to be true, you need to show that:

1. Event A happened (or did not happen)
    2. The Church Fathers taught that Event A did not happen (or did happen).
    3. The Church Fathers' teaching was widely accepted.

Go ahead.
  10. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    08 Nov '05 15:48
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    That's just being lazy.

Go ahead.
    Been through this already with you, Ham.

1) Jesus was fictional, a syncretic creation. A representation of the Sun and the New Age.
    2) The Church Fathers after Nicaea taught that he was really real. Really.
    3) Hammy and the GodSquad don't question this nonsense today.

QED.

(Yeah, I'm lazy. So what?)
  11. London
    Moves
    08 Nov '05 16:27

1) Jesus was fictional, a syncretic creation. A representation of the Sun and the New Age.

QED.

I thought you were going to pick something much harder - like the Virgin Birth or the Resurrection.

We've been over this before - your arguments for Christ being entirely fictional are so tenuous you can't even get fellow-atheists to agree with you.

Try again.
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Nov '05 16:50

QED.

That explains a lot of things...
  13. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    08 Nov '05 19:19

QED.

Sorry Dave, I'll have to side with LH, this is hardly an ironclad case you are making here...

Unless you can pull some rabbit out of your hat, this is a preposterous assumption...

Lol, I really think you need to back up premise 1) or this premise really falls. Really.

This we shall see based upon the reasonable evidence you present... if your evidence proves beyond reasonable doubt 1) and subsequently 2) then yes, I'll admit to 3)

Quite Eloquently Done
  14. Cosmos
    Moves
    09 Nov '05 06:21
    Whilst a handful of Christians being constructive in no way undermines my argument that in general religious people waste their lives, you may be interested in my new thread:

"List of 'constructive' Christians - debunked. "

I hope you enjoy learning about the people named in your cut 'n' paste lists, Halitosis and PRatX.
  15. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    09 Nov '05 06:30
    Originally posted by howardgee
    Whilst a handful of Christians being constructive in no way undermines my argument that in general religious people waste their lives, you may be interested in my new thread:

"List of 'constructive' Christians - debunked. "

I hope you enjoy learning about the people named in your cut 'n' paste lists, Halitosis and PRatX.
    Go check your list HG, and btw how can you determine if somebody is a Christian or not, you closed-minded atheist bigot...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree