1. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    14 Aug '06 23:021 edit
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Nobody has complete freedom anyway. I cannot go out and murder someone now - it's against my own morals, and against the law. I don't care if some imagined "God" says it's okay or not.

I do live for myself though - I don't justify my continued existance through anything other than my own desire to do more science.
    if there was no law or no god id do whatever i wanted when i wanted, whether it was immoral or not
    Edit: actually if i didnt believe in god id probably disregard law lol
  2. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    14 Aug '06 23:50
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    if there was no law or no god id do whatever i wanted when i wanted, whether it was immoral or not
    Edit: actually if i didnt believe in god id probably disregard law lol
    So your entire moral system is based on the fear of retribution by God. Sorry, but you don't sound like a very moral person to me.
  3. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    14 Aug '06 23:56
    So your entire moral system is based on the fear of retribution by God. Sorry, but you don't sound like a very moral person to me.
    not fear, and who says i have to be moral?
  4. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 00:14
    not fear, and who says i have to be moral?
    Your God, I imagine, says you have to be moral. So it's not fear then? Why do you obey the rules laid down for you then? To avoid hell? To get into heaven? Because you are a sheep, who just can't help it? At least the third one isn't based on fear of retribution (i.e. you fear hell, so act good, and you fear NOT getting into heaven, so you act good)
  5. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 00:20
    Your God, I imagine, says you have to be moral. So it's not fear then? Why do you obey the rules laid down for you then? To avoid hell? To get into heaven? Because you are a sheep, who just can't help it? At least the third one isn't based on fear of retribution (i.e. you fear hell, so act good, and you fear NOT getting into heaven, so you act good)
    i follow the rules because i believe in him, and getting into heaven is just extra i guess lol
  6. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 00:23
    i follow the rules because i believe in him, and getting into heaven is just extra i guess lol
    Ah, so a sheep you are.
  7. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 00:25
    Ah, so a sheep you are.
    what does that make you?
  8. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 00:28
    Why do you believe in Him? Blind faith? Because the Bible convinced you?
  9. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 00:311 edit
    Originally posted by ckoh1965
    Why do you believe in Him? Blind faith? Because the Bible convinced you?
    why dont you believe in god? i think if you are refusing to believe in god, you are taking the easy way out. so dont call me a sheep or anything like that for believing in him. its much easier to say you die and just stop existing, its much harder to say you die and go to heaven or hell.
  10. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 00:31
    what does that make you?
    I suppose everyone who lives within a society is partially a sheep, but that's the price we pay for living within a society. I would say that my personal moral compass, based upon the experiences I've had in my life make me a relativist. Personally, I prefer the term "freethinker" since I am free to "correct" my moral compass when I feel it is a little off-course, something that you are unable to do, since your "life laws" are fixed.
  11. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 00:32
    why dont you believe in god? i think if you are refusing to believe in god, you are taking the easy way out. so dont call me a sheep or anything like that for believing in him. its much easier to say you die and just stop existing, its much harder to say you die and go to heaven or hell.
    I disbelieve in God in the same way I disbelieve in the tooth fairy. There is no evidence of either.
  12. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 00:33
    I suppose everyone who lives within a society is partially a sheep, but that's the price we pay for living within a society. I would say that my personal moral compass, based upon the experiences I've had in my life make me a relativist. Personally, I prefer the term "freethinker" since I am free to "correct" my moral compass when I feel it is a little off-course, something that you are unable to do, since your "life laws" are fixed.
    i could do whatever i want to and repent, but i dotn take advantage of that fact, so really i do have the same freedom you have.
  13. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 00:35
    I disbelieve in God in the same way I disbelieve in the tooth fairy. There is no evidence of either.
    but isnt it much easier to say he doesnt exist than it is to say he does exist?
  14. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 00:411 edit
    but isnt it much easier to say he doesnt exist than it is to say he does exist?
    Indeed, it is more parsimonious to believe in no God as opposed to any God. The onus of proof that God exists therefore falls on the believer, not the unbeliever. In answer to your other point, of course you have complete freedom - that's what you would expect if there actually is no god.

[edit; if you did just whatever you pleased and meant it, but then repented and didn't really mean it (of course, if you meant the first action, the repentance wouldn't be real) then God surely wouldn't let you off with it.
  15. Cosmos
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 00:52

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree