1. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 00:53
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Indeed, it is more parsimonious to believe in no God as opposed to any God. The onus of proof that God exists therefore falls on the believer, not the unbeliever. In answer to your other point, of course you have complete freedom - that's what you would expect if there actually is no god.

[edit; if you did just whatever you pleased [i]and meant i ...[text shortened]... first action, the repentance wouldn't be real) then God surely wouldn't let you off with it.
    but if i were to do whatever i wanted, that means i wanted to do it so when i repent i wouldnt feel sorry for it and i wouldnt really mean it
  2. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 02:01
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    but if i were to do whatever i wanted, that means i wanted to do it so when i repent i wouldnt feel sorry for it and i wouldnt really mean it
    So therefore, you don't do whatever you want. You are constrained by a little imaginary box, a set of rules dreamed up with the express intention of controlling your actions and behaviour. And you are scared to break those rules since you'll lose the "benefit" at the end. The scariest bit about this is that neither the punishment or reward are real!!!
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 02:37
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    God no.
    Just do it man...

That's a joke by the way. I really don't need your death on my consience...
    Wow, you have a consience? I used to have one till I stopped the monthly fee and they took it away....
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 02:52
    what does that make you?
    Well for one thing it puts him in the drivers seat of his life. Another thing, christians, muslims and the like are completely amoral in my not so humble opinion. I say that because Scotty here is moral from his own flag. Those who believe in that rediculous, petty,vindictive so-called god you people self generated can only get your morals from second hand sources, you have a firm lock on your own mind and refuse to allow for the possibility that people can be very altruistic, trusting, caring, responsible people without a constant bombardment with ancient sick dogma that causes more killing than all the actions of all the atheists who ever lived. I call that amoral, immorality at its worse.
  5. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 03:16
    why dont you believe in god? i think if you are refusing to believe in god, you are taking the easy way out. so dont call me a sheep or anything like that for believing in him. its much easier to say you die and just stop existing, its much harder to say you die and go to heaven or hell.
    Ummm... I never said that I didn't believe in God. I do! But I don't believe in religions. I don't believe, for example, that Mary was a virgin when she had Jesus. I don't believe in a prophet who proclaim peace and love for your brothers, and then the next minute led his people to war (Jihad) on excuse of protecting his religion. I think it is very convenient to come up with rules like allowing a man to have up to 4 wives, just because I fancy having that many wives myself!
  6. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 06:55
    So therefore, you don't do whatever you want. You are constrained by a little imaginary box, a set of rules dreamed up with the express intention of controlling your actions and behaviour. And you are scared to break those rules since you'll lose the "benefit" at the end. The scariest bit about this is that neither the punishment or reward are real!!!
    youre restrained by rules too, the law.
  7. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 06:59
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well for one thing it puts him in the drivers seat of his life. Another thing, christians, muslims and the like are completely amoral in my not so humble opinion. I say that because Scotty here is moral from his own flag. Those who believe in that rediculous, petty,vindictive so-called god you people self generated can only get your morals from second hand ...[text shortened]... all the actions of all the atheists who ever lived. I call that amoral, immorality at its worse.
    LOL wtf are you talking about, some theists killed for their religion and still do, but can i be responsible for their actions?
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 07:51
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I probably won't do it for various reasons, mostly because my life isn't that bad and because I don't want to hurt people I care about. But tell me...is there any good reason other than these that you can think about?
    Please don't kill yourself; we'd be lost without you.

Signed
    --the people of Hungary
    --the Forkbeard dwarves

Please kill yourself; it would do our clan honour.

Signed
    --the people of Otomo
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 21:23
    youre restrained by rules too, the law.
    Absolutely. The cost of choosing to live in society. For me though, these are laws that I'm personally happy to keep. Why? Because they represent the values system that I have derived for myself, without being dogamtically told what to do.
  10. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 22:051 edit
    Absolutely. The cost of choosing to live in society. For me though, these are laws that I'm personally happy to keep. Why? Because they represent the values system that I have derived for myself, without being dogamtically told what to do.
    if you follow those laws, you dont go to jail if you break them you go to jail, kind of the same concept of christianity
    Edit: you ARE being told what to do, id rather be told what to do by god than the government, why listen to the government? the government isnt god, they have no right.
  11. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 23:34
    if you follow those laws, you dont go to jail if you break them you go to jail, kind of the same concept of christianity
    Edit: you ARE being told what to do, id rather be told what to do by god than the government, why listen to the government? the government isnt god, they have no right.
    If, for example, God tells you to kill another person because he is considered to be threat to you religion, would you do it? Would you instead say, "No, I will not do that, because it's wrong to take another person's life"? In other words, will your own principles be a stronger factor to determine what you would or would not do? Would you follow the 'rules' or orders set by your God? IF the government's orders or rules are more 'correct' in the moral sense, would you still rather be told what to do by God, even if it seems 'wrong'? Forget who has got the right or not. But what is right or wrong to YOU.
  12. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    16 Aug '06 00:24
    Uh oh. Here goes a rant against government.
    I'm only guessing here but would you be an American EV?

Funny how Americans seem to want to go on about not wanting government, yet claim to be bastions of democracy.

Anyway, back to this government thing.
    You talk as if government were a thing. Government is just a bunch of people - politicians, bureaucrats, administrative people, security people, janitors, and so on. It's a job.
    A job that happens to be about helping to keep countries, states, etc. working according to the existing conventions and rules of the society that lives in them.

Don't make government into a thing to blast.
  13. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    16 Aug '06 00:50
    Of course, I could just MOVE!!! Then I wouldn't be subject to the laws of this society. I could move to Japan, and follow their laws. I could move to South Africa, and follow their laws. But I'm happy with the laws here. Why? Because they are very much the same as my own moral laws. Are there some I disagree with? Yes. Of course. I disagree with prostitution, which is legal here in New Zealand. What do I do? Well, simple - I just don't go to prostitutes. When you live in a society, you accept that you must live by those rules, but that's MY CHOICE.
  14. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    16 Aug '06 01:26
    Originally posted by ckoh1965
    If, for example, God tells you to kill another person because he is considered to be threat to you religion, would you do it? Would you instead say, "No, I will not do that, because it's wrong to take another person's life"? In other words, will your own principles be a stronger factor to determine what you would or would not do? Would you follow the 'rules ...[text shortened]... eems 'wrong'? Forget who has got the right or not. But what is right or wrong to YOU.
    he wouldnt ask that, and anybody who claimed he did is confused
  15. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    16 Aug '06 01:27
    Of course, I could just MOVE!!! Then I wouldn't be subject to the laws of this society. I could move to Japan, and follow their laws. I could move to South Africa, and follow their laws. But I'm happy with the laws here. Why? Because they are very much the same as my own moral laws. Are there some I disagree with? Yes. Of course. I disagree wi ...[text shortened]... n you live in a society, you accept that you must live by those rules, but that's MY CHOICE.
    anywhere you go youre going to have laws, if you dont then the country is probably messed up and not a good place to live.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree