Why?

Why?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
05 Oct 13

Originally posted by galveston75

So are you just going to do this knee jerk responce or did you actually take the time to read it and look up the scriptures to possible learn something new?
I think I know the answer so no need for you to respond....
I see your reason here; I call you an intellectual thief and you accuse me of not wanting to learn anything because I'm not interested in reading your copy/paste from the watchtower.

Moves
05 Oct 13

Originally posted by SwissGambit
"You're not an intellectually honest Borg member...you stole that idea from your cellmate!" 😵
I think the regular posters recognise that the JWs are not allowed to have thoughts of their own but that does give licence to pass off someone else's writing as their own. Honesty requires the link be posted to recognise the author and allow readers to check out the wider text if they want to.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 Oct 13

Where did I say I wrote this? You obviously see that it is from the Watchtower Society so no doubt others do too. If someone wants to know where it came from, I'd be glad to say.
So are you just going to do this knee jerk responce or did you actually take the time to read it and look up the scriptures to possible learn something new?
It is simply proper to give your source credit, to any who do not know
it is assumed you actually wrote what had your name attached to it.
Kelly

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
05 Oct 13
1 edit

Where did I say I wrote this? You obviously see that it is from the Watchtower Society so no doubt others do too. If someone wants to know where it came from, I'd be glad to say.
I know about their lies and twisting of scripture because I have studied with them. Others like you don't know any better because they don't know the truth.

The Instructor

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
05 Oct 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
hmmmm, i suspect that it was because the creation was complete.
But why does a 'spirit' need to rest? Rest and sleep is needed in humans, and countless other animals, for the skeletal, nervous, immune and muscular systems to grow and rejuvenate, yet surely a spirit is not material?!

Moves
05 Oct 13

Originally posted by Great Big Stees
Did God rest on the seventh day. He/She doesn't sleep or eat or...well all He/She really does is...what, watch us?
Talk about a thankless job and one that you NEVER leave. Although I suppose that there is, on occasion, something new to have to deal with but not too often.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
05 Oct 13

Did God rest on the seventh day. He/She doesn't sleep or eat or...well all He/She really does is...what, watch us?
The rest there is related to satisfaction not to the need to be rejuvenated from weariness.

It is the rest of having obtained what one desires and being satisfied.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
05 Oct 13

But why does a 'spirit' need to rest? Rest and sleep is needed in humans, and countless other animals, for the skeletal, nervous, immune and muscular systems to grow and rejuvenate, yet surely a spirit is not material?!

The rest there has to do with satisfaction. It is not the rest of recovering from strenuous physical activity or strenuous mental activity. It is the rest of having arrived at a climax of what one wants.

Man - in the image of God - made to express God and exercise God's dominion on behalf of God as a deputy authority.

This is what God wanted. So He rests.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 Oct 13

Originally posted by sonship

The rest there has to do with satisfaction. It is not the rest of recovering from strenuous physical activity or stre ...[text shortened]... od's dominion on behalf of God as a deputy authority.

Why do you assume God needed to rest?
The pattern that was put forth was for our sake that we get a day of rest
instead being worked 7 days a week every week.
Kelly

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
05 Oct 13
2 edits

I didn't use the word "needed". This may be a fine point of whether God needed to rest or didn't need to rest. Remember how the Apostle Paul said in Romans that he spoke in human terms ?

It says He rested from all His work.

Most people seem to take it as work seven days and then rest.

I regard the meaning more like this - we people of God START by resting. [EDITED] Well, very close. Man was made on the sixth day and the next day was a day of rest. Am I right ?

So you might say that man's first full day started as a day of rest.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
05 Oct 13
1 edit

"Stees, use of the word "rest" in the Hebrew of the Old Testament utilizes a figure of speech known as an anthropomorphism* (or language of accommodation); which ascribes human actions to something not human (in this instance to God). Purpose of its usage is to enable human beings to understand what took place in Eternity Past.

In context the meaning simply conveys the fact that when the work was completed, He was satisfied with what had been accomplished or created, so there was a cessation of that particular activity of deity (similar to us and our behavior at the end of a work week). "TGIF". "Enjoy your weekend; you need some quality downtime". [Though He doesn't get tired]

Time didn't apply until the human race began. In Eternity Past (and Future) a day is as a thousand years and a thousand years as a day: though Creation was accomplished in an orderly sequence, 'time' taken would approximate an infinitesimal fraction of a nano second. All things were created by the Word of His Power and are maintained/held together the same way. Nothing will destroy Planet Earth (appointed habitation of the human species) before the perfect timing of His perfect plan."

*Anthropomorphism meaning "the attribution of human characteristics or behavior to a god, animal, or object." (page one)

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 Oct 13

I didn't use the word "needed". This may be a fine point of whether God needed to rest or didn't need to rest. Remember how the Apostle Paul said in Romans that he spoke in hu ...[text shortened]... of rest. Am I right ?

So you might say that man's first full day started as a day of rest.
I know it says He rested, that does not mean He needed too. What that did
was set a pattern for us, which I why I think He did it. I also believe that
another reason that He rested was He made all that what was required, to
do what He wanted to do, with all the life He made.
Kelly

Moves
05 Oct 13

Originally posted by KellyJay
Kelly
It was a step forward in labor law. (Seriously.)

Just as "an eye for an eye" was a step forward in penal law, as it actually called for restraint in an era of escalating blood feuds.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
05 Oct 13
1 edit

The rest there has to do with satisfaction. It is not the rest of recovering from strenuous physical activity or stre ...[text shortened]... od's dominion on behalf of God as a deputy authority.

Really? Why is the word rest used instead of the word for satisfaction? The Hebrew word used is 'shabath' which appears 71 times in the OT, and at no point does the word have any relation to 'satisfaction' as far as I can ascertain. Unless of course you know differently?!

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
05 Oct 13

In this context it means a period of time after He stopped creating things. For that period of time He looked over his creation and saw that it was good. It's intended to serve as a template for us. He expects us to work for a period of time, and then rest for a period of time.

If you think of the important role fathers play in families it's easier to understand how God looks at and regards all of us. Everything in this reality is set up so we are able to understand Him, or at least get a glimpse of Him and hopefully understand His purpose for us. This reality is a classroom and a playground for us compared to what comes next.

By the way, the "God is a He or a She" speculation is annoying. God is not a human, and He is not male or female. Anyone (atheists included) should be able to figure that much out.